Creative, technical, and talented, but lacking emotion IMO.

OzziePete said:
That Canon Rock is a shocker. People standing around looking disinterested, he's trying harder and harder to impress and getting deeper and deeper into the faster technical aspects of showmanship rather than just relaxing a bit and concentrating on presenting the melody.

This one's got him doing much better than a lot of the other vid clips he has posted. He's using a classical guitar and playing in that style. Does a very good job of it too, save for the heavy handed strumming in some parts. Looks a difficult piece to perform. I actually think, from this vid clip, he'd be a much better classical guitarist than electric rock/pop guitarist. Becuase he has to work intensely to a manuscript there's little room for his 'funny buggers' routine that he does on electric guitar and the acoustic guitar is harder to get the ringing tones out of. Those sort of restrictions work for him, imho.
He might be living proof that someone who was trained classically cannot loosen up and let the passion through on rock/blues/pop stuff. I hated listening to some Euro rock music that has been made over the years for that very reason (technically brilliant, but because of the precision, lacked breathing space or any great dynamics other than presenting the music note perfect :icon_tongue:).
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzWe_yUMaA&feature=PlayList&p=6A3E63B0788BF103&index=3[/youtube]

:eek:  :guitaristgif:

stubhead said:
This is better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggUrTEcllXM&feature=channel

I wish I had his energy... but it's mostly one of those cases -
"I wish I could play like that, then  - I wouldn't." :party07:

Fender has a bunch of these guys running around doing demos, I guess it's a Career in the Music Business of sorts. There's a guy named Greg Koch who is convinced he's hilarious (he's not) and a brilliant musician (I don't think he's ever played an original note in his life....)  Well, it beats selling heroin to shoolchildren (maybe) or flippin' burgers (surely).
He did the circus thing again!

Know what I said before?  I'll take it back.  I'll let this guy in my band, if he can learn to play out of key on purpose all the time, and he tunes down to drop A.

Hell yeah I'd let him in my band... he can tear it up while I chug out the chords for him.  I don't know why you guys are dissing this guy... I'm pretty sure none of you play like that!

Death by Uberschall said:
dbw said:
I'm pretty sure none of you play like that!

:sad:
+1. I think the main debate about these vid clips is that despite having all that talent, his stuff isn't enthralling too many players here. Mainly because of a perceived lack of emotion in his playing. Never been able to play like he does, but hey, I bet the kid can't drive a bus as well as I do! :toothy10:

yesak67 said:
Max said:
yesak67 said:
yeah pretty boring kids these days just wanna get laid
How YOU doin?
I'm married feel free to take it however you wish
And I'm a kid. Who's learning guitar because I like how it sounds.

Oh, I wish I could play like him. I'm sure he *could* play with a lot more soul, but it might not be his thing.

Max said:
yesak67 said:
Max said:
yesak67 said:
yeah pretty boring kids these days just wanna get laid
How YOU doin?
I'm married feel free to take it however you wish
And I'm a kid. Who's learning guitar because I like how it sounds.

Oh, I wish I could play like him. I'm sure he *could* play with a lot more soul, but it might not be his thing.

Hi Max, I'd suggest his perceived lack of soul in his playing, may come from his training, as I have mentioned in a previous post. My bet is he is a brilliant classical player, got told he is good by both his teacher and peers and been mentored quite a bit with formal tuition, but then changed over to electric guitar to play the music he listens to and prefers (plus he seems to have scored a Fender endorsement or sponsorship along the way, ie: $$$$$).

But the way he approaches the music might be very clinical and formal, throwing in some of what he sees as RnR attitude with little tricks in his playing, and as a result, it all comes across as a fair bit contrived.

Instead of the way maybe you and I look at the music and say, well, how do I fit the guitar in here, and how do I play it?

Maybe he might need some folks to post comments about his vid clips on You Tube and offer critiques, instead of the usual "whoa dude awesome!" comments he'd draw.

I thought about his "lack of soul" in his playing coming from his training too. When I play trumpet, I don't try to be as soulful as possible. I play what's written, with whatever slight alterations are needed.

Max said:
I thought about his "lack of soul" in his playing coming from his training too. When I play trumpet, I don't try to be as soulful as possible. I play what's written, with whatever slight alterations are needed.

Yep, that's classical training for you. All the emotions are scripted on the sheet music, and if there's none there, you just play the note for it's value. I had similar training for the year I tried to learn clarinet. Which is a good thing for classical music as there's how many in the brass section? How many in woodwind and strings? Can you imagine the cacophany of noise and clashing views on music if it was as free form as rock?! :eek:

When I first started music, I got involved with classical music as a subject in High School. On one excursion, we went into the Conservatorium of Music in Sydney ands sat through a session with Don Burrows and George Golla, two jazz greats in Australia. They had a large group of kids playing classical music of varying competency and showed them how to NOT read the music but play it from the heart.

Some kids found it very hard to play any sort of melody line without a piece of sheet music in front of them.

Burrows plays flute, clarinet and various saxophones & really work the woodwind kids into a frenzy with squeals, held notes and quiet run downs etc. Quite against the grain of what the kids were learning at the time. Golla plays guitar but also worked with the keyboard kids too, again challenging them to step outside of their comfort zone of charts and sheet music and play from feel.

They worked to a jazz formula, which did allow maximum improvisation if you could grab a break and was good enough. Burrows threw to a break to quite a few woodwind players during some jams, and some cut it and some didn't. Ditto for Golla and his group.

That session really opened up everyone's eyes about the different ways to approach music & Burrows and Golla did it in such a way that no kid got upset by being put on the spot, they were real gentlemen about it. They also explained the way jazz worked and how they take a simple melody and abstract it out.

I wasn't proficient enough to play, but boy, I got the message loud and clear and it was pleasing to see some of my very snobby 7th year piano fellow students put on the spot and asked to do a solo, and find themselves stumbling along.

Then, of course, came the music of 70s prog rock, which was contemporary at the time. That involved a higher level of musical proficiency and also the genre of jazz/rock & fusion was hitting it's straps too, so as you see, there was a lot of album music being played that was trying to advocate a more formal approach to music than the rock'n'roll or jazz way of doing things.

It's no surprise that punk rock exploded a few years later......... the pendulum is always swinging.

I think he plays with a good amount of "feel"  (I don't use the term soul because I don't know what it is) - - but the way he plays has a sort of gimmick-y and cheesiness to it.

the perfect example of what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmTBCAUfYkY

some people might find it impressive but I can't imagine wanting to listen to it. I've never been a fan of "let's take a piece of music everyone knows and 'modern rock' it up." It almost always comes out Spinal Tap-ish, even if it's performed amazingly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH-DO3FgROI

He's stuck in that adolescent "play as many notes as you can, that will impress them" mode. :binkybaby:

I'm really impressed with that classical video of his. Both hands working really well together on some wild ass chording.  :headbang1:

GoDrex said:
I think he plays with a good amount of "feel"  (I don't use the term soul because I don't know what it is) - - but the way he plays has a sort of gimmick-y and cheesiness to it.

Mind you, the best 'feel' players can have a hard time getting the right amount of emotion across, if the taskmaster is way too hard. Just get a  glimpse of Keef copping it royally from old Chuck! So much teeth gnashing over a string bend........(one of my fav. You Tube clips, btw, this ROCKS)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEA6gzAAPfc[/youtube]

Awesome! love his face after he gets taught the bend!
CHUCK RULES!

It is totally possible to play scripted music with 'feel' or whatever you call it, look at Opera singers!
It's just hard to do...I'm not going to talk up my OWN playing....but everything he does is just kind of...out of order?
It's like none of the parts went together as well as they should...
This guy is a textbook case of great playing, poor phrasing. 

Back