Correctly sizing your avatar picture

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
With the implementation of Unofficial Warmoth's new responsive site design, many people have been asking about the avatars, and why they now seem to be inconsistently sized. The answer is simple: because the website is displaying a mix of old and new avatars. For them to all be the same size, everyone needs to create a new avatar that takes advantage of the larger size now available.

The old design restrained avatars to 100 pixels x 100 pixels.
However, the new site allows avatar images to be much larger. The ideal avatar size is 225 pixels x 225 pixels.

Anything smaller than 225x225 will be displayed in its original size. Anything larger than 225x225 will be resized to fit within those dimensions.

A heads up: in another week or so we are going to begin converting all avatar images to a fixed width. This means that if your avatar is smaller than 225 x 225, it will be sized up to that fill the allotted space, and will result in your avatar looking pixelated. To avoid this, swap out your avatar for one that is 225 x 225.

We are doing this to make the avatar size uniform for all users.

line6man said:
double A said:

What does that matter?

It's just a visual thing that some people have complained about. I imagine once we make this change, other people will complain about the pixelated images.

And so it goes.

double A said:
A heads up: in another week or so we are going to begin converting all avatar images to a fixed width. This means that if your avatar is smaller than 225 x 225, it will be sized up to that fill the allotted space, and will result in your avatar looking pixelated. To avoid this, swap out your avatar for one that is 225 x 225.

:blob7: that will be a great improvement

double A said:
line6man said:
double A said:

What does that matter?

It's just a visual thing that some people have complained about. I imagine once we make this change, other people will complain about the pixelated images.

And so it goes.

What would you guys like me to complain about (just being accommodating)?

:icon_jokercolor:

Yeah, I think that's a good size. But, that's being automatically resized to 139x130. He's saying they're gonna go to 225x225. Those are gonna be huge. Mine at 2252:

That's not an avatar. That's an advertisement.

OK, then. I'll just have to come up with a larger one. It'll be nice to see them all similar in size. Like all things, we can get used to anything. I'll just have to get going on one that will look good larger. For now, I just made a larger version of the same one.

Aaaah! That'll take some getting used to. :toothy12:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
These new avatars go to 11.

Yes! :guitarplayer2:

FYI: We will also standardize the avatar size on mobile differently. So, on desktop, they will appear in their full-size glory, on mobile they will be smaller.

I'll have to come up with a better one, but this will do for now. Everyone will need :glasses9: anytime I post.

Yeah. Think I've found something that will do until there's a good reason to create a new one. Like a resize of the avatars or sumthin. 

double A said:
Anything larger than 225x225 will be resized to fit within those dimensions.

This makes it easy for users to use most photos without worrying about dimensions.

:headbang5

Updated mine for the first time since I became a member; not sure if I'm gonna keep it, though.  M. Hulot may be a little too obscure to our predominantly 'Murican membership in any event.

Bagman67 said:
Updated mine for the first time since I became a member; not sure if I'm gonna keep it, though.  M. Hulot may be a little too obscure to our predominantly 'Murican membership in any event.

tati-lg.jpg

He has at least one other fan here. :glasses10:

Back