Control Knobs

StogiePatriot

Over the weekend I tried out my lathe for the first time and made these lil' rascals.
knobs.jpg

I can't divulge what wood the knobs are basically b/c I don't know - this was a Woodcraft $20 grab box of cutoffs and what not that were sold for small carving.  I was aghast at how expensive the knobs were from the traditional places and knew I could do the same or better. 

Just a bit of wax and 220 grit sanding.  I'll be happy to hook someone up with these or another species - just let me know.

:icon_jokercolor:

Those look great! I've been meaning to pick up a good chuck so I can start doing these myself.

Wenge is not an easy wood to turn and finish, though. I don't use it for pens because it's too much of a hassle. :doh:
Rosewoods and Ebonies are easy enough, though. I was going to do a curly Maple knob on a guitar body I started but haven't touched in months. :blob7:

JCizzle said:
Nice work!

Gracias hombre; one of the things I was thinking about was designing tone and volume knobs to be different in some way.  On these, one of the knobs has two grooved areas that distinguish it from the smooth side knobs that are detailed at the top and cap.  Something like that will hopefully draw my services out from the crowd (small as it is of wooden knob providers)...

Doug still has the market cornered in the neck plate world; can only hope to aspire...  :toothy10: :hello2: :toothy10:

How are you doing the insides? I'm told Delrin rod is the best way to go, which is what I was going to try when I ever get around to doing some.

line6man said:
How are you doing the insides? I'm told Delrin rod is the best way to go, which is what I was going to try when I ever get around to doing some.

Delrin rod/tube - interesting!  I was planning on only using Rockwell 52 or above wood (grin) and was going to drill and tap a set screw to provide the mount that is just drilled out  of the center...  I use a backwoods technique of chucking a bit into my cordless drill and setting it on the tool rest and guiding it into the small hole I turn in the center of the bottom.  works like PB & J

Jumble Jumble said:
Reckon you could do Gibson style speed knobs? No grooves or anything, just dead plain.

The easiest to do, actually (save the perfection of the cutoff being square to the centerline)...  I'd think zebrawood or maybe a funky rosewood would be cool given the surface area the top offers...  PM me if you want to get 4 fer ya - I also am wondering whether it would be feasible to drop a decal on the top and coat the knob in a clear resin....  Interesting... 

(edit:) summsabeeatch, sure is - the same casting resin used for making those acrylic award thingys is available @ Amazon or art supply places ; all you'd need is the mold.  I'm glad I didn't go down the bartop varnish route and have it all end in tears...

Actually I guess I would need a tiny bit of detail - just a small circle indented into the top to give some rough visual idea of where the knob is set. For the thing I've got in mind, maple would probably be the best, either raw or perhaps with a satin varnish to bring out a little colour.

StogiePatriot said:
line6man said:

Delrin rod/tube - interesting!  I was planning on only using Rockwell 52 or above wood (grin) and was going to drill and tap a set screw to provide the mount that is just drilled out  of the center...  I use a backwoods technique of chucking a bit into my cordless drill and setting it on the tool rest and guiding it into the small hole I turn in the center of the bottom.  works like PB & J

Drill out the hole for the Delrin rod, and then the hole for the pot shaft with a bit in your tailstock. Then you can do all your set screw holes with a little jig on the drill press. It's quick that way.

Jumble Jumble said:
Actually I guess I would need a tiny bit of detail - just a small circle indented into the top to give some rough visual idea of where the knob is set. For the thing I've got in mind, maple would probably be the best, either raw or perhaps with a satin varnish to bring out a little colour.

How close to the edge?  Me personally - I'd want to have the 'B" configuration, but I mocked up where the indicator dot would be.

Another thought would be to do a flattened cone design, with the top beveling in a smooth arc or to a shallow point in the center...  For visibility sake it would make it easier to see.  I would use dot rod to insert the markers (versus an indentation that may not hold up or offer a point of weakness for the wood...)

Attachments

• 6-20-2012 2-22-09 PM.gif
    6-20-2012 2-22-09 PM.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 281
Back