Control cavity wall thickness for rear routing.

Tinsnips

During may last phone order with Warmoth, I asked how thick the component mounting wall of the rear routed controll cavity is so i could plan, source, and buy a jack, pots, and switches with the appropriate bushing length. The saleman didn't know, so he put me on hold to ask the shop. "One-eighth inch" was his aswer. Knowing that 1/8th of an inch is a terribly thin piece of wood to drill and mount components on, I asked "ya sure it's not a quarter inch?" "The shop says 1/8-inch" was his reply.

So I built the bass with the body in question...Nope, the wall thickness ain't 1/8th. In fact, I was MORE than right. It's .280-inch thick.

Plan for this on your next rear routed build, folks. Standard bushing components won't work, eg: for the 1/4-inch jack, a good old switchcraft C11 won't raech through the wood, you'll need the longer L11.

agreed that the thickness is >.25" on all of the rear routed bodies I've received from W. on a few builds the specific pot/switch I was utilizing required me to reduce the thickness to .188" in a localized area

all the best,

R

SkuttleFunk said:
agreed that the thickness is >.25" on all of the rear routed bodies I've received from W. on a few builds the specific pot/switch I was utilizing required me to reduce the thickness to .188" in a localized area

all the best,

R

Yep, long bushing minitoggles of decent quality are hard to come by...C&K and NKK make them, but Allied Elctronics doesn't stock them. I, too will be
reducng the thickness to in localized areas.

a specialty bit for drilling holes with sharp, clean edges and minimal tearout

62782.JPG

these need to be used in a drillpress and not a hand-held drill

all the best,

R

dbw said:
Forstner bits rock :)

I wholeheartedly endorse that statement. My plan for tomorrow involves using a Forstner bit to clear out the control and battery cavities before cleaning them up with a router. Best tool for the job.

Back