Contemplating a Tele build

thx712517

Long time no post! I've got GAS and after noodling around at the centers of guitar, I was thinking of a Telecaster. And if I'm thinking Telecaster, well, that's THE roll your own guitar, right? I liked the tummy cut on the Elite model but didn't care for the pickups, liked this but not that, etc, so why not just look at doing one up from scratch?

Being a musician I have zero budget at the moment, but I wanted to think out loud about my build idea and see what folks think. I'm wanting to make something a little unique like a sleeper, light weight to go easy on my poor back, vintage sounding.

Roasted alder chambered body, with the heel cutaway and the tummy cut. I love that scoop taken out of the back, makes it more comfortable for me to play. Chambered for the same reason of course. I'd go with a clear satin finish, relying on the darker color of the roasted alder to make it look a little like a butterscotch blonde. Black or white pick guard, haven't decided there. Callaham bridge, knobs, control plate.

For the neck, roasted maple one piece with tall narrow frets. 6105s I think? 9.5" radius, vintage modern construction, and either a boatneck or '59 round back profile. I like thicker necks but I don't want to make a neck-heavy guitar. I had an SG that I really liked (Epiphone, not Gibson) but the neck dive killed it for me. Was thinking of the Stealth tuners, since they're super light, and running 10s, maybe 9s.

Not sure on pickups though! I love how Alnico 5 magnets sound in a humbucker. They add this really nice top-end shimmer that goes well with my Vox. Like bubbles in champagne, if you can stand something so pretentious sounding. But Telecasters are normally A3s, right? Nocaster pickups or V-Mod from Fender?

With the American Professional and the Player Telecasters I was trying out, I find I love the sound of the neck pickup with the tone rolled off a bit, sounds nice and fat and warm. Didn't care for the noiseless on the Elite though, sounded too clean. What do you folks think? Anything that'll give me an issue?

The good thing is you can make it however you want not some marketing guy.

Always make the frets stainless, especially if they're gonna be narrow.

A few quick thoughts:

If you're trying to balance weight, cost, and build something unique you may want to consider a Basswood body. In general you'd end up with a light guitar, and it's probably ~$100 cheaper than a chambered roasted body. Several boutique builders like Tom Anderson, Suhr, Grosh etc say Basswood paired with a Maple top is tone heaven.

Also, I would personally forgo with the contoured heal. I have the contoured heal on a Tele and VIP, and frankly I don't care for it. Compared to my Strat and Tele with the normal heal the contour really adds no meaningful benefit. What I also find annoying is the neck screws don't sit flush either due to the angle.

I do LOVE the comfort contours...especially on my Tele. It just feels so good. 

Regarding necks, it's really a personal thing. I have 4 59's, a Wolfgang, and have had both a Boat and Fatback. 59's are my favorite. They have a nice full feeling and are kinda the Goldilocks of necks for me. The Wolfgang is very nice, but a bit too thin at the nut. I think a SRV may be my personal holy grail, but I've never tried one. I didn't like the Boat due to the slight V profile, and the Fatback was just barely too big for me to consistently wrap by thumb around the top. I prefer 1 11/16" nut and it felt too large.

Pickups...there are too many options. I have Fralins, Bare Knuckle, Lollars, Porters, Suhrs, Duncans. To me they're all good. Personally, I prefer clean pickups and I let my pedals and amp do the dirty stuff.

Start listening to pickup demos on youtube to get a feel for what different sets can sound like. That will also lead you into choices you may have not thought of.

Callaham is a good choice of hardware. Top quality stuff made of stainless. I have one of their control plates waiting to go on a build I'm planning. I like their plate because they move the volume pot (or tone pot if you turn the plate around so the switch is toward the heel of the guitar) a little bit further from the selector switch giving you more room to get to the switch without hitting the knob.

Borrow a book from the library like 1001 guitars to play before you do.  It'll give you all kinds of ideas including finishes

Back