Concentric pots?

JonatanOTG

Hellooo!  :toothy10:

I was wondering if anyone could give me some opinions about concentric pots. I haven't tried a guitar with such pots myself, but when I saw them on Warmoth's site it struck me that it would be perfect for my someday-first-Warmoth-build... :) The guitar is still in my head ( :doh: ) but I think of like a rear routed strat with two humbuckers and just two knobs - routed for two knobs, I mean. If I would get a concentric pot I could have one master volume and 'two tone controls in one', you know. And that'd pretty awesome...

So what do you say, are concentric pots cool?  :cool01:

This is something that's interested me as well. Which would be better on a two concentric pot set up; both pups volume control on one pot, both pups tone on the other or, volume/tone for one pup on one pot and volume/tone for the other pup on the second pot?

I used these in my Warmoth build and they work great. there is no real downside to them. I did a strat with a LP wirig job v/v/t/t but used only 3 knobs 2 normal and 1 concentric. I had the 2 normal ones for vol and the stacked ones for tone. worked great. There is no real mystery to them they are just 2 full blown pots stacked on top of one another.
I say go for it

Ken

ocguy106 said:
I used these in my Warmoth build and they work great. there is no real downside to them. I did a strat with a LP wirig job v/v/t/t but used only 3 knobs 2 normal and 1 concentric. I had the 2 normal ones for vol and the stacked ones for tone. worked great. There is no real mystery to them they are just 2 full blown pots stacked on top of one another.
I say go for it

Ken

Sounds great! You don't think there's any risk to turn the wrong knob by mistake then?

I have concentric pots on one of my Warmoth guitars.  I like guitars with a minimalistic kinda look and the single knob (as it appears from a distance) was cool.  I have volume on top and tone below and I haven't had any problems with turning the wrong one or the two sticking together or anything. 

Ok, nice!

Yeah I'm pretty much into the less-is-more look as well. I'm allergic to too many knobs and buttons on a guitar. Why? I keep fiddling around with them all the time...  :doh:

That's pretty cool! It didn't even see that before looking closely, interesting option for sure!  :icon_thumright:

I guess the most 'natural' thing to do would be volume and tone on a single concentric knob, but I just came up with the idea of having individual tone controls on a concentric knob in a two pickup guitar, together with a single master volume control. Anyone tried something like that?

I wired my Tele like a Les Paul using them.  The only down side is that they are a bit taller than regular knobs.  From a visual standpoint, you hardly notice them unless they are pointed out.  The volume knob(s) were the forward ones and the tones were the back ones, just like a normal Tele setup.
Patrick

I have them on a couple of guitars, and I personally don't like them.  I keep moving the top one while trying to move the bottom one, or vice versa.  That may just be me, though.

on mine I have a strat with a standard strat layout. It is dual humbukers wired LP style. two of the knobs are for volume and the concentric pot is tone for both pickups. It just made sense to do it this way.

Ken

Back