Compound radius

mullyman

Well, as you know, I have that new Strat put together this past weekend. I've been playing a lot with it the past few days. This was my first time going with Warmoth's compound radius and to be honest I was a little worried. This neck also has the thin contour so that had me a little concerned too because I'm used to a fatter neck. Another thing that is new for me is an ebony fingerboard. I used to have an LP custom but it was never a favorite of mine so I didn't pay much attention to details on it. This neck though, wow! I could be happier if the back was a little fatter but I don't dislike this one by any means. Really really loving the ebony fingerboard. It's slick and fast and plays like butter. As for the compound radius, I am hooked. I could not be happier with it. From now on any Warmoth build by me is getting this compound radius. Playing chords on the lower frets is really comfortable and when you get high up on the neck it flattens out just enough that you don't feel like you're playing over a mountain. I read somewhere on here that some people were having troubles bending notes. I don't see that problem at all, if anything I see the exact opposite. I think someone mentioned someone at a guitar shop going on about the compound etc... well, whoever that was, you need to get a new guy to set it up right. I have my strings set at a height just about the thickness of a coin and this thing is one ass kicking beast.

I am extremely happy with this build. Not to mention that when you open the guitar case the guitar itself is so stunning looking. The photos just do not do it justice. This thing looks like a million bucks and plays right there with it.
MULLY

strats001.jpg

Superbeast520 said:
Love the way the fretboard looks...is that some colored figure in there.....???? :icon_thumright:

Yeah, there are better.....er.....not sure if they're *better* or not, but there are some closer photos in the "Just out of the box" forum.
MULLY

mullyman said:
Superbeast520 said:
Love the way the fretboard looks...is that some colored figure in there.....???? :icon_thumright:

Yeah, there are better.....er.....not sure if they're *better* or not, but there are some closer photos in the "Just out of the box" forum.
MULLY

That's the "defect" ebony that came with the natural lightning bolt on it, right? I always liked black ebony until I saw that board.

Sometimes techs will bad mouth something they don't understand and since compound radii are uncommon, they are often misunderstood. With a Warmoth 10"-16" compound radius the radius at the bridge should be about 20". If you have a 20" radius template the just set the height for you outer strings and then use the template to raise or lower the interior strings until you have a nice curve...

If the Standard Thin is a bit thin, but liveable, try the '59 Roundback next go around.  It's the next size up that still remains symetrical.  Also, the compund radius is supposed the best to bend on, it's the rounder, straight radius necks that can fret out with bending.

If you raved about the compound radius and Ebony fretboard, get the full W experience and go all exotic with an unfinished neck.  Have you ever heard anything less than a glowing review of one?  Rarely do  you see anyone get another maple neck after getting a raw, unfinished exotic. 

The note bend thing is for small radius necks... not an issue on flatter radii.

koshersteel said:
Sometimes techs will bad mouth something they don't understand

Absolutely true. I'm assuming that most people on here have experienced having some know-it-all guitar guru bashing their Warmoth because it doesn't have a Fender of Gibson sticker on it. Or being told that because they assembled a guitar themselves it's obviously crooked and of inferior quality? But hey, I'm not bitter... 

That being said, great axe Mully. The compund radius thing has always sort of intrigued me, so it's always interesting to get someone's take on it.  :icon_thumright:

knucklehead G said:
That's the "defect" ebony that came with the natural lightning bolt on it, right? I always liked black ebony until I saw that board.

It's funny because this neck was actually cheaper than some of the other maple/ebony combos and in my opinion this one looked the best. I was looking through the all black ones when this one popped up and I was like "Oooh, that's the one, right there!" I guess the people at Warmoth saw it as less than desirable. I gotta say that I would have taken one with much more figuring if it was there. This one is bad ass though.
MULLY
oh, I like to call it the fire pattern :headbang1:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
If the Standard Thin is a bit thin, but liveable, try the '59 Roundback next go around.  It's the next size up that still remains symetrical.  Also, the compund radius is supposed the best to bend on, it's the rounder, straight radius necks that can fret out with bending.

If you raved about the compound radius and Ebony fretboard, get the full W experience and go all exotic with an unfinished neck.  Have you ever heard anything less than a glowing review of one?  Rarely do  you see anyone get another maple neck after getting a raw, unfinished exotic. 

Yeah, see, you're just a trouble maker. You're gonna make me want to build another guitar and that isn't going to please my wife any.
MULLY
:laughing7:

koshersteel said:
Sometimes techs will bad mouth something they don't understand and since compound radii are uncommon, they are often misunderstood. With a Warmoth 10"-16" compound radius the radius at the bridge should be about 20". If you have a 20" radius template the just set the height for you outer strings and then use the template to raise or lower the interior strings until you have a nice curve...

I set my outer strings to the thickness of a coin so the action is really low. The only problem I'm seeing so far is that my 3rd string is buzzing a little when fretted between frets 9-12. I haven't checked any higher really. I haven't had it plugged into a big amp yet either so I don't know if the buzzing comes through there or not. No biggie though, the buzz is slight enough that raising it a tiny bit should fix it.
MULLY

ErogenousJones said:
koshersteel said:
Sometimes techs will bad mouth something they don't understand

Absolutely true. I'm assuming that most people on here have experienced having some know-it-all guitar guru bashing their Warmoth because it doesn't have a Fender of Gibson sticker on it. Or being told that because they assembled a guitar themselves it's obviously crooked and of inferior quality? But hey, I'm not bitter... 

That being said, great axe Mully. The compund radius thing has always sort of intrigued me, so it's always interesting to get someone's take on it.  :icon_thumright:

I am very happy to report that every person I know, in my guitar world, have asked me "What the hell is that?" with my previous build and when I explain it to them they kind of wrinkle their noses. I then hand it off to them and they get a good close up look at it and get to play around with it and are immediately impressed with the quality and dig in for more details. So far I've had one friend move forward with a build, a Telecaster.........which I did for him. This past one really has people turning their heads.
MULLY

You know what man, you got 3 of my dream Strats

**** you in a respectful way :icon_biggrin:

mullyman said:
Yeah, see, you're just a trouble maker. You're gonna make me want to build another guitar and that isn't going to please my wife any.
MULLY
:laughing7:

You don't need another guitar, just another neck.  Just click "all exotics" and "59 Roundback" in the showcase and see what comes up.  The exotics cost a little more, but are usually less than a Maple with a Warmoth finish.

exaN said:
You know what man, you got 3 of my dream Strats

**** you in a respectful way :icon_biggrin:

Not a problem, man. I consider myself lucky that I'm fortunate enough to have this gear.
MULLY

Back