COMPLETED!!! Warmoth Z Metal build(56K Warning)

Syntheticocean

Alrighty. Don't have time for a full in depth talky talk. However, figured before I get some sleep I'd let peepz focus their peepers on my pride and joy in progress.

Warmoth Z body

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4550.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4562.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Hopefully you're drooling as much as I am. sealer going on as soon as the good weather is here, waiting for the timbermate in the mail.

Not really. The total process from beginning to end was about 2 1/2 hours.

Now I have a question for the pros: Can I skip grain filler and just use sealer? Stewmac said 1-2 weeks for the filler, and now 3 weeks later they are saying 1-2 more weeks. I want a level flat and smooth surface.

You can skip filler and sealer both and go straight to finish if you want, but it'll take you forever to get it smooth and flat as you finish/wait/sand over and over, and it'll cost you more.

StewMac isn't the only place to get supplies. There's Luthier's Mercantile and Woodcrafters, just to name a couple.

Depending on what dye you used (MEK, Ethanol, water) the sealer coat is more or less important.  I have had the dye migrate into the finish before with alcohol dyes, so now I always put the sealer on.  If you use the Zinsser or shellac sealer, it is alcohol based and dries very fast.  Once it is dry, repeat applications until the surface stays consistent during applications.  It will keep the migration minimized and the finish will have much more "depth" to it.
Patrick

Very nice!

Are you using ebony timbermate or coloring it with the dye? If so, I would definitely put a quick wash coat of sanding sealer (deft from home depot/lowes is fine) or lacquer BEFORE and between applications of timbermate so that it does not color the dye/wood field. Actually, I'd do it with any color timbermate to be safe. I recently did a mahogany tele body in trans orange reranch nitro with ebony timbermate. It took only two applications of timbermate to fill - sandwiched with wash coats of sanding sealer then fully sealed - love the timbermate (after years of torture with oil-based fillers).

mahogtele13.jpg

Cagey said:
You can skip filler and sealer both and go straight to finish if you want, but it'll take you forever to get it smooth and flat as you finish/wait/sand over and over, and it'll cost you more.

StewMac isn't the only place to get supplies. There's Luthier's Mercantile and Woodcrafters, just to name a couple.

Well, the thing is, I actually have the sealer. I'll have to check some other places. This is getting absurd with Stewmac.

Syntheticocean said:
Cagey said:

Well, the thing is, I actually have the sealer. I'll have to check some other places. This is getting absurd with Stewmac.

I have half an 8-oz. jar of the Timbermate ebony grain filler I could send you.

Bagman

Wow that is an amazing dye job!

Just a quick question though, did you use a water base? It looks like the dye didn't penetrate into the deeper pores.

rapfohl09 said:
Wow that is an amazing dye job!

Just a quick question though, did you use a water base? It looks like the dye didn't penetrate into the deeper pores.

It was water based. I know it didn't seem to penetrate the mahogany but I'm not really worried about it. That is getting grain filled.

Man, those Z's are tempting... they seem to be breeding more rapidly, lately? What's with the inlay on the back of the neck? Did you get graphite bars or something installed?

Back