COMPLETED!!! Warmoth Z Metal build(56K Warning)

Here's one of those vocabulary questions for us non-native english speakers: what, exactly, is a "wash coat"? The guitar looks great so I'm assuming it's a good thing.

kboman by Überschall said:
Here's one of those vocabulary questions for us non-native enlgish speakers: what, exactly, is a "wash coat"? The guitar looks great so I'm assuming it's a good thing.

Its a thinned coat of nitro. just to provide a barrier. It will protect the dye from being stained or pulled out when I use the ebony grain filler. After the grainfiller i'm going to use sealer then finish with the last of the nitro

So I got the grain filler in the mail from bagman. Is there some way I can give him rep as I owe him big. Thank you so much!!!  In jersey for the day. Be doing the grainwork hopefully tomorrow morning

Afaik, if's general internet forum decorum to mention it in your signature. Looking forward to see this one finished!

Glad you got the Timbermate,man.  Looking forward to seeing it in action.  Meanwhile, I'll just settle down to some more snorkeling here in Belize...

peace

Bagman

Alright, question.

Do I Sand the vinyl sealer or spray the nitro right onto it?

I put the grain filler on(which caused me to sand through the dye in a few small spots) and now I've got 4 coats of sealer on. the final coats of nitro are going to be going on and I don't know if I should sand the sealer...

Totally dig the shape but is it just me or does that body seem a little small?? I know it only comes in 25.5 scale but it's just weird 0_0
Anyways, nice blue :headbang:

chanyiksean said:
Totally dig the shape but is it just me or does that body seem a little small?? I know it only comes in 25.5 scale but it's just weird 0_0
It's an odd shape, but looks proportional to me.

chanyiksean said:

I haven't actually bolted the neck on, but it feels really good when I rest it on my leg. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have the nitro all finished up. Its been rainy and humid. My goal is to have the guitar completed by the end of next week 'finish' wise. I still need to save up another 75$ or so for parts.

alright, its all put together, but I don't have any pickups for it yet. A few more parts coming in from warmoth(3way switch and jack plate). This is pretty much the most comfortable guitar I have ever held sitting down. I have yet to add straplocks but I'm not in a rush. I'll post some pictures in the coming days. Not really feeling that great. Goodnight world.

DMRACO said:
how about those watermarks?

I love someone who pays attention. The watermarks went away after a 2nd sanding. I had to sand again because the first time was rushed and a lot of 'dimples' were still visable and looked horrible.

Now the only problem I'm having is swirl marks. They are everywhere. I can't get rid of them for the life of me. That, at least is something that I can take care of anytime in the future.

I'll get a better picture up later, but I'm out the door for now. Sorry about the horrible camera phone quality. You'd think by now phones would do a better job of this...

photo01.jpg

Thats what cameras are for, phones are for keeping in contact with people  :icon_jokercolor:
When the world returns to using things for its intended purpose, itll be alot more simple  :tard:
Rant over haha,
Amazing guitar, nice to see another Z body join the ranks  :icon_thumright:

Glad the marks are gone.  I would have lost sleep too!

Those pads I mentioned on TONARs thread work well.  Also, I have used a good automotive swirl remover and then polish to remove swirls.  You may just need the polish depending on how deep they are.  They also sell guitar polish but it is VERY EXPENSIVE.  I have used the automotive stuff with no issues.  Just do it before the electronics are in.

Make sure you use a decent micro fiber cloth.  if you do not, you will be creating swirls as you remove them!!

Syntheticocean said:
DMRACO said:
how about those watermarks?

I love someone who pays attention. The watermarks went away after a 2nd sanding. I had to sand again because the first time was rushed and a lot of 'dimples' were still visable and looked horrible.

Now the only problem I'm having is swirl marks. They are everywhere. I can't get rid of them for the life of me. That, at least is something that I can take care of anytime in the future.

I'll get a better picture up later, but I'm out the door for now. Sorry about the horrible camera phone quality. You'd think by now phones would do a better job of this...

photo01.jpg

Did you get so excited over the new guitar that you peed on your Winnie the Pooh blanket?  :laughing7:

But seriously, your blue Z body is the same thing as the dream guitar I want to build, except with an arrowhead neck and sharkfin inlays.

Nice work!  :headbang:

Alright guys, I'll post some pictures then I'm heading out. I know most of them look similar, but I tried getting it to show different grain/reflection. The warmoth logo is the Smoked Chrome logo so under some lighting it flat out looked white, but its a gunmetal grey color.

IMG_4626.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4636.jpg

IMG_4637.jpg

Back