Cheap Showcase Strat & Tele Necks Arrived

Cactus Jack

I have a few projects going on and pulled the trigger on a couple standard showcase necks. The Strat has "Bonus Flame" which I think is pretty cool, and the Tele is pretty much run of the mill but has an interesting fingerboard.

What's really shocking to me, is just how good Warmoth's standard run of the mill necks are. Honestly, I haven't found anything close to this nice on any mainstream guitar in a long time. Certainly not a Fender. Possibly a Tom Anderson, Suhr, or some boutique builder could produce something better...but for thousands of dollars they better be leaps and bounds better than a $200 Warmoth neck.

Over the past few months I've bought 5 roasted maple necks, and they've all been fantastic. However, in all fairness, I did have a custom Jazzmaster neck made in vintage satin tint that I thought looked really bad so it went back. The wood had zero figuring and it honestly looked like one of those plain white Squire necks painted yellow. With that said the return process was stupid simple and the Warmoth team was great to work with. Can't win them all I guess.

All of my other necks feature Modern construction. These are Vintage Modern, and I'll tell you what...they seem to be a lot lighter than my moderns. The Strat neck felt especially light, and I was surprised that it was just slightly lighter than the Tele. In comparison, my modern Rosewood/Ebony neck, with tuners installed, weighed in at 1.15lbs...almost a full lb heavier. A lot of that difference is obviously tuners and tone wood, but I thought it was interesting as many folks claim Vintage Moderns are much lighter.

Anyway, I'm rambling so here are a few pics:

3o5XdEw.png

iRANc2e.png

mX6Jmvt.png

BzEJci0.png

mr9Q5nE.png

Nice necks. I particularly like the Tele neck even though it hasn't any figuring. :icon_thumright:

Do I attempt to burnish them? Hmm...I may need to go read Cagy's massive thread and give it a shot.

Cactus Jack said:
Do I attempt to burnish them? Hmm...I may need to go read Cagy's massive thread and give it a shot.

I really think you should! It is truly game changer.

Interesting that the Vintage Modern was lighter, but makes sense; I heard an interview with Trevor Wilkinson who has started producing necks and bodies as well, and he mentioned that in his necks, he wanted a single action truss rod (same as the VM necks) due to the decreased weight. I suppose it stands to reason that an 18" steel rod would weigh more than the wood that would have been in its place.

Sorry for digging up an older thread, but just wanted to add my 2 cents.  Great looking necks!

After playing these neck and comparing them to my modern construction versions, I am 100% in favor of the vintage modern. Not only are my necks lighter, but they are also more vibrant. The modern constructions feel dull in comparison. The modern construction feels super stable and strong, but for me the vintage modern necks just have extra snap and pop.

Dag, baybee you got enough wood to start a forest and get it recognized as the dankest national park in the USA of America

Back