Chance to get bad sounding piece

cooler23

Hi. I'm from Europe and as everyone else I would have to order my Warmoth guitar. Tell me. Is there any chance to get really bad sounding piece? Like you put the guitar together, string up, plug into your favourite amp and say...what's that? Nothing against the Warmoth but other companies can sort out the complete guitars which sound bad after a final check out. But what Warmoth can do? Is there some kind of sound-check room? And how do they know that this particular neck or body will or will not sound good/great? Thanks

I think all of the problems I've heard about were involving
Wiring mistakes
bad choices on hardware/electronics
guitar needed a setup

and stuff like that. If there's any actual problem with the body or neck, they do refunds.

Just think through your choices, and feel free to ask about wood combos, as well as electronics and hardware.

I think it can... but's not because of bad parts (from Warmoth), it's more like bad choices from the buyer...

For example...
If you buy a maple neck with ebony fingerboard with a maple neck and put a Bill Lawrence L500xl or other very trebly pickup, you may have a weird sound from it... Or Mahogany neck with rosewood board and mahogany neck, Invader pickup with 250k pots... going to be muddy as hell...

Not couting the screwing factor... like bad wiring, etc...

If you make good choices and things that match well with what you want and with your rig, it won't sound bad... But this is like many research and testing...

Hey Cooler.

Wherabouts in Europe are you?
I took a risk on my Warmoth about this time last year (body and neck) having never heard one before.  I had done a bit of research into what I thought I wanted, and ordered a Swamp Ash body, and a fatback all Birdseye Maple neck.

I couldn't be happier.
If you are anywhere near London, UK, then you are welcome to come and have a look at mine and see what you think.  And another forum member, Ted lives about about 15mins away frm me.  He's done several warmoths, very different from mine, and I'm sure he'd be happy to let you try. 

Cheers

Jim

"? And how do they know that this particular neck or body will or will not sound good/great?"

They don't, that's your job being the builder and can be dependant on the wood choices you make, all the electronics you install, and your assembly/setup skills.  The wood components available  from Warmoth are of same or better quality of what you will get from a manufacturer of complete guitars, allowance given for the comparative pricing of the parts.

Yep, it's totaly dependant on you to make a good sounding, good feeling guitar from Warmoth parts. Dont get upset if it isnt perfect on the first try. I remeber one forum member smashing his new Warmoth LP cuase it didnt sound rigt to him...... :sad1:

Brian

Ahh!! Smashing??? He could have given it to me! 

But seriously, you just have to do your homework and make sure you don't make bad choices in your order.  I researched on the net for months, and changed my mind on everything at least three times before I placed my final order.  Hopefully I made good decisions.

I'm about to spend a large amount on my LP build, the one thing holding me back is the idea it may sound bad.
My wood choice is 5A quilted maple on either mahogany, this one http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=LPCP189&menuItem=4&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0 or ordering my own body with same top but
black korina rear in clear, going to use either Braz rosewood neck or one of the dark woods.Pickups are going to be Bare Knuckle Mules, its a 40th birthday present to myself.Anybody know the difference with the korina vrs mahogany back for sound?
[sorry if I hijacked thread]

My thought when building my warmoth was that, when it comes to Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc.... their guitars are all just made from the cheapest parts that they can find and then sell at a decent profit.  Warmoth on other hand is going to use the best wood they can find, (or else us forum whores would bitch them out), so that being said, even the worst wood you'd get from Warmoth is still probably going to be as good as, if not better than the normal Fender or Gibson.

Seemed like absolutely no risk to me.

erik

cooler23 said:
other companies can sort out the complete guitars which sound bad after a final check out

CAN... yes. DO... probably very few of them. If they produce a lemon, a lemon will be sold. For Custom Shop pieces... maybe, but do you think every made-in-korea gets played and shredded if they think 'hmm.. that one doesn't sustain quite enough'? or something along those lines?

If anything, assuming you do your bit (design, component selection, assembly, setup) the Warmoth parts should be a better base to start from.

Dr Zoidberg said:
I'm about to spend a large amount on my LP build, the one thing holding me back is the idea it may sound bad.
My wood choice is 5A quilted maple on either mahogany, this one http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=LPCP189&menuItem=4&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0 or ordering my own body with same top but
black korina rear in clear, going to use either Braz rosewood neck or one of the dark woods.Pickups are going to be Bare Knuckle Mules, its a 40th birthday present to myself.Anybody know the difference with the korina vrs mahogany back for sound?
[sorry if I hijacked thread]

I thought about buying that exact body, but I decided to go with the Black Korina, and I decided I liked the look of Wild Maple better than Quilt for this project (I love quilt, but I'll save it for another day).  So I ordered a custom piece instead.  Maple, Mahogany, and Rosewood is a classic combo, so you know it sounds good. The main reason I went for the Black Korina is because I think it is a lot more interesting to look at than Mahogany.  It is supposedly similar in sound to Mahogany, but a bit more mid range. 

Start out cheap.  Buy an inexpensive body and neck from the showcase and judge for yourself.

I started with a $205 korina strat body and went from there. 

I cant remember the guys name but he got one with the works, custom color, flame maple top, binding and name brand pickups and he just smashed the thing and said he threw it out in the dumpster. Can anybody remember who Im talking about?

Brian

I remember the same thing.  I think I blocked his name out of my mind on purpose!  :laughing3:

Yeah, that was kind of crazy. He had problems keeping it in tune or something, and his sustainiac wasn't right.

Warmoth has a legal obligation to fender to destroy or otherwise "not allow" the sale and distribution of their necks that aren't up to snuff.  So if you somehow manage to get a lemon. and it has happened infrequently, They'll fix it for you. the only downside being the 2nd waiting period.

I remember that tread, it was about a year or so ago. 

The only time my warmoth sounds bad is when I play it  :evil4:  Put it in the hands of a real guitar player and it just sings!

Back