Chance to get bad sounding piece

For the original poster

I ordered my first warmoth on a whim - and I used inexpensive warmoth parts.  However, I got good pickups, some good setup tools (set of nut files, straight edge, some gauges), and invested in the time to really learn how the thing should go together.

The resulting guitar is better than any other guitar I've ever played in my (ahem) 25 years of playing.  And this includes some 50's gibsons/gretsches, some 60's fenders, as well as my collection of Rickenbackers.

Do your research.  Choose your parts.  You can't go wrong with the "traditional" combinations (mahogany neck/body, maple cap, rosewood board for a "trad" LP), but if you are careful you can choose some different woods and get some amazing results.

the quality of the neck/body from warmoth will be the least of your problems. 

Go For It!!

cooler23 said:
...but other companies can sort out the complete guitars which sound bad after a final check out...

Nobody sorts out "duds" after making complete guitars! If they make it to spec, they know it will sound a certain way. I'm sure they scrap any parts during manufacturing if something goes wrong, but then again so will Warmoth. They're not going to send you a body where the router slipped and put a huge ding in the body.

I'd recommend ordering from Warmoth without fear. If you want to do something unique, just do simple substitutions. For example, many people think Korina is a better Mahogany. So get a Korina back. For the top, get whatever you like. I'd suggest considering either a solid Rosewood neck or a Goncalo neck with whatever fretboard (Pau Ferro, Ebony, etc.)

While you are waiting for your parts to arrive: Buy a book (I recommend any of Dan Erlewine's books) and buy a small ruler with fine increments (64ths of an inch for those of us in the US). Practice setups on one of your guitars while you wait. Take time putting your Warmoth parts together when they arrive. If you feel you need to do extra work on the nut, buy a few files (they're worth it), or just take it to a well-qualified shop.

That's a good idea.  8-10 weeks is a long time, but it gives you some time to really consider your hardware choices and study up before you work with your gorgeous expensive Warmoth parts.  I haven't done a setup in a while, so I just ordered the Dan Erlewine dvd on assembling guitars to have something to watch while I wait for my parts. That way I can make doubly sure I'm not going to mess anything up. 

My friend also loaned me her text book on musical acoustics, which she said is great and easy to read and understand.  That will help me pass the time.

taez555 said:
My thought when building my warmoth was that, when it comes to Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc.... their guitars are all just made from the cheapest parts that they can find and then sell at a decent profit.  Warmoth on other hand is going to use the best wood they can find, (or else us forum whores would bitch them out), so that being said, even the worst wood you'd get from Warmoth is still probably going to be as good as, if not better than the normal Fender or Gibson.

Seemed like absolutely no risk to me.

erik

Just looking at my Warmoth I can honestly say that it is light years ahead of any Fender or Gibson I've ever owned. I honestly will not return to buying off the rack anymore. At Warmoth I can get a much higher quality guitar at a fraction of the cost.
MULLY
not paid for any endorsements

hannaugh said:
....expensive Warmoth parts. 

I admit to being an anal retentive knit picker, but expensive?  They ain't exactly giving them away, but I think the stuff is very reasonably priced for the quality.  You can have your dream guitar built for a fraction of the namebrand counterpart that doesn't have the options you want.  The AAAA grade tops, exotic woods, inlay/binding options are what push most of the builds over a grand.  For a around a grand or considerably less they will cut and finish a neck and body, as well as give you choices, and you can turn around and pick the perfect harware and pickups for.  What are LPs and American Standard Fenders going for these days?

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
hannaugh said:
....expensive Warmoth parts. 

I admit to being an anal retentive knit picker, but expensive?  They ain't exactly giving them away, but I think the stuff is very reasonably priced for the quality.  You can have your dream guitar built for a fraction of the namebrand counterpart that doesn't have the options you want.  The AAAA grade tops, exotic woods, inlay/binding options are what push most of the builds over a grand.  For a around a grand or considerably less they will cut and finish a neck and body, as well as give you choices, and you can turn around and pick the perfect harware and pickups for.  What are LPs and American Standard Fenders going for these days?

Around a grand is still a lot of money. You're getting a lot of value in return for that, but it remains a lot of money. You don't want that to go up in smoke because you goofed during assembly or finishing. So yes, using your waiting time to do your planning, read up a bit, maybe do some finishing tests is pretty smart.

Well, looking at my build, which I paid 1500 for, that's with all hardware and pups etc..., there is no way this would be under 3 or 4 grand if it had a Fender Custom Shop logo on the back of the head. So yeah, a grand may not be something to joke about but in all fairness you'd never buy some of these fancy Warmoth's if they said Fender or Gibson on them.
MULLY
a grand wouldn't even allow you to look at them

Back