Cat Lovers

We had a New Year's Eve gig that was literally just down the street.  Due to proximity and alcohol intake, the drummer crashed on my couch.  Not a cat person, I walked in to find this in the morning.  I explained to him that he was sleeping on the cat's couch.

Ryan31.jpg

Iris wound up in the vet's office yesterday and coming home with stitches...and a halo on her head she has to wear for 10 days.  We don't know what happened to her, but Zeus was found at the scene, so we're assuming he attacked her.  She was hissing at him and they had issues in the past, so we just added 2 and 2.

Anyway, she had this very nice, deep 1-2 inch slice in her rear right paw.  Rachel didn't think it looked too deep but when I looked at it, I had a different opinion.  We let it go for about an hour and a half or so, but it was still bleeding and the area was really "pooled up." 

It's a good thing we took her in, because she did need stitches.  I just feel really bad for her because we have to keep this contraption on her head.  She not only looks ridiculous, but she's pretty upset about it.  I can't say I blame her.

So, $240 and a halo later, she's doing fairly well.

...No, I'm not going to humiliate the cat by photographing her in a halo.  :redflag:

Orpheo said:
I'm a sucker for main coone's. they are super-sweet, kind, gentle. they don't talk that much, are about as big as a bengal, maybe even bigger (PS: a 1000$ bengal?! really?! they're like 700 euro's here, and a savannah is almost 1200 euro's here...). Anyway.

main coone, thats my cat! :D (and I have a british shorthair in house, but thats my ex gf's cat, not mine).

Psssssst.

FYI? 700 Euro = $925.00

What you have to ask yourself is: How much is tax and VAT on $700 Euro?

I'm talking an F1 Savannah, not an F5/F6. F1's start at 5-figures, it doesn't matter what part of the planet you're on. Unless of course you live in Africa and breed them yourself, then it'd be a bit cheaper I'd wager.

ORCRiST, I'm having fun imagining the height of the fence you'd need for those cats, haha

When I get my own place, I'd like a cat first, then a dog later.

I just built a cat area in my flat.  It features 6 platforms held away from the wall a few inches by handrail brackets and a hemp rope tree made from 4" pvc tubing.  For the hole through the wall , I chipped the plaster and then cut the lathe.  I put 6" pvc through the hole and used stove pipe flanges to finish. The platforms are plywood padded with old tshirts of mine and upholtered with bargain fabric using a staple gun.

The first picture is taken by leaning back in my chair and shooting up past my 1963 Gibby LG0 at cat playing.  The next shot is of the living room; three platforms and the rope tree.
The last shot is of the dinning room looking into the living room. The cats bounce up the two leaning platforms to the top of the china cabinet and then onto the platform and through the wall.

Attachments

• cat with 63LG0.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 327
  • tree shot LR.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 317
  • Drm steps.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 326
Eric Banjitar said:
I just built a cat area in my flat.  It features 6 platforms held away from the wall a few inches by handrail brackets and a hemp rope tree made from 4" pvc tubing.  For the hole through the wall , I chipped the plaster and then cut the lathe.  I put 6" pvc through the hole and used stove pipe flanges to finish. The platforms are plywood padded with old tshirts of mine and upholtered with bargain fabric using a staple gun.

The first picture is taken by leaning back in my chair and shooting up past my 1963 Gibby LG0 at cat playing.  The next shot is of the living room; three platforms and the rope tree.
The last shot is of the dinning room looking into the living room. The cats bounce up the two leaning platforms to the top of the china cabinet and then onto the platform and through the wall.

That's awesome!

That is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time! And it's good to see that you're maintaining a good sense of priorities and keeping things in balance, not letting some silly little animals run you around. But, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my 3 foot-long, 28 pound behemoth running around above my head. He has very vivid "hunt" dreams - whiskers twitching, paws flipping, that weird back-throat r-r-r-r-r they do...

The only problem is, I raised him from scratch, and  for the first four years of his life I was the only thing he had to hunt - so, what's he dreaming about? :evil4: :evil4:

Daze of October said:
Eric Banjitar said:

That's awesome!

That is TRULLY awesome!!

Just got an Egyptian Mau 2 weeks ago at the shelter - actually my wife chose her out. We had no idea what breed and neither did the Santa Barbara shelter. Named her Lucy Lu.
We were total couch potatoes this weekend and were watching Cat Woman with Halle Berry while stuffing our faces with left over dim sum and saw the lead cat in the movie and both looked at each other and exclaimed "That's Lucy!. Now that we know her breed, we've changed her name to Cleopatra.
She looks exactly like this:
Egyptianmau.jpg

PT said:
Just got an Egyptian Mau 2 weeks ago at the shelter - actually my wife choose her out. We had no idea what breed and neither did the Santa Barbara shelter. Named her Lucy Lu.
We were total couch potatoes this weekend and were watching Cat Woman with Halle Berry while stuffing our faces with left over dim sum and saw the lead cat in the movie and both looked at each other and exclaimed "That's Lucy!. Now that we know her breed, we've changed her name to Cleopatra.
She looks exactly like this:
Egyptianmau.jpg

I adopted a cat very similar to that one out of the alley behind my apartment in Las Vegas when I was 22.  Poor guy had a flea collar on that had scorched most the hair off his neck, and he weighed about half what he ought to have weighed.  We nursed him back to health and named him Winston, after the poor, crushed protagonist of 1984.  He had black polka-dot vestbuttons all up and down his belly.  He died young, probably FLV, but once we got him off the street he had a comfy and well-loved couple years.

Bagman67 said:
I adopted a cat very similar to that one out of the alley behind my apartment in Las Vegas when I was 22.  Poor guy had a flea collar on that had scorched most the hair off his neck, and he weighed about half what he ought to have weighed.  We nursed him back to health and named him Winston, after the poor, crushed protagonist of 1984.  He had black polka-dot vestbuttons all up and down his belly.  He died young, probably FLV, but once we got him off the street he had a comfy and well-loved couple years.

Great story and lucky cat. This one is really super sweet and affectionate. I'm glad my wife chose (not choose :)) her out at the pound.

Eric Banjitar said:

Wow, you have a "cathouse"... :toothy12:

Hey guys - got a stressed out (beyond normal) cat. She's normally a bit high strung, one person cat.  Taken her a few years but she's finally started to warm up to my wife and her dog. A few weeks ago she started puking. quit eating. Took her to vet, blood work was fine. Some dental issues (scheduled), but mostly they said she's stressed out.  Let's just say that I have TWO beautiful high strung temperamental hair shedding creatures in my house, and the cat is one of them.

It's happened a few times before, but whenever the cat starts hissing at my wife for 'no reason' as she likes to put it - let's just say that it's often accompanied by weeks of general less than pleasant demeanor on the part of the other party.  (Smart cat).  Short of some weird tattoo'd guy with a guitar case showing up at the house - anyone have some experience with trying to resolve ongoing attitude/environment issues?  Just started experimenting with the various calming pheremone products out there. Too soon to tell much, other than a 'calming collar' is anything but initially. :) 

Cats are not pack animals like dogs, nor are they social animals like humans. They're very independent and territorial, and so dislike sharing their lives or living space. They'll do it if they're raised that way (domestic), but any change is difficult to accept even if they've already accepted that they have to share their world as the price to get fed and be kept warm/dry. So, I wouldn't hold out any high hopes. It can be made to work over time if everybody kisses the cat's ass, but that rarely happens.

My cats LOVE the security of being able to get up high above anyone or anything that stresses them. The shelves that I built for them are just plywood and handrail brackets.  Anyone can do this. I took advantage of high furniture as steps to the cat lair. Try making high access.

Back