Cat Lovers

I'll never forget when mom had to put her dog down, the vet tearing up telling her about having to put his dog down. I don't care if you're John Wayne, when I saw someone that probably does this several times a month or more, cry just talking about putting down his own family pet. Wow. They do get into your heart.

swarfrat said:
I don't care if you're John Wayne, when I saw someone that probably does this several times a month or more, cry just talking about putting down his own family pet. Wow. They do get into your heart.

When you consider that your pet is probably the only being that has never lied to you, cheated you, stole from you, misrepresented itself, presented you in anything less than the most flattering light or did anything other than simply stand by your side through thick and thin, it's easy to understand why the loss is so traumatic. It's an extremely rare relationship. That kind of trust is almost unheard of among humans. You always have a question about something. It may or may not be significant, but it's always there. It never is with your pet.

Two people may keep a secret, if one of them is dead. A person and their pet can both be alive and share secrets. It's a comfort that's nearly unknown otherwise. The loss of that level of trust is more traumatic than almost anything else, and it hurts like hell.

Cagey said:
your pet is probably the only being that has never lied to you, cheated you, stole from you, misrepresented itself

Nice sentiment, but this is the cat thread now... My cat tried to steal my venison from the skillet WHILE I WAS COOKING IT.  Jump on counter, charge straight for the skillet, get brushed off. Jump back on counter. Repeat.

I've also watcher her, quite intentionally, torment the dog, who is still terrified of her, doing the Eddie Haskell thing. Oh yes Mrs Cleaver, the dog is our friend. Come here and snuggle you scaredy dog. Yawn, stretch, flash claws while innocently stretching, snuggle closer to terrified dog. Who me? I'm being nice. He's the one with a a fear of cats!

Hah. I love her dearly, but this is one devious evil creature.

Reminds me of this gem:
20120406-110032.jpg

swarfrat said:
Nice sentiment, but this is the cat thread now... My cat tried to steal my venison from the skillet WHILE I WAS COOKING IT.  Jump on counter, charge straight for the skillet, get brushed off. Jump back on counter. Repeat.

I've also watcher her, quite intentionally, torment the dog, who is still terrified of her, doing the Eddie Haskell thing. Oh yes Mrs Cleaver, the dog is our friend. Come here and snuggle you scaredy dog. Yawn, stretch, flash claws while innocently stretching, snuggle closer to terrified dog. Who me? I'm being nice. He's the one with a a fear of cats!

Don't be silly. She was trying to save you from yourself. You were ruining a perfectly good hunk of animal flesh. With fire, no less.

As for the dog... well, they've got to be kept in their place, lest they get too uppity. They're not really that bright, relatively speaking. Gotta slap 'em down from time to time, so they know which end is up.

My kitten is evil. The beast gave my old, fat cat a tongue piercing, ripped open a gash in my dogs nose, and destroyed my best socks(ripped apart and pooped on them) within the course of an hour. He's no good.

And unfortunately, I'm attached, so I can't sell him.

:sad:

Sorry to hear some of you lost your little friends... Can imagine how this thing is...

About 2-3 month ago, after a very cold night and found this guy on the street and brought it home...
It's been hard as I'm a very anxious guy and he is at least 5 years old and lived on the streets... Still adapting to each othes and new life...
He is just like a kitty, but is a giant monster, like pissing and cr@ping all the house, meow untill I get mad and get him down the building (live in apartment), fighting with the other cat on streets, bitting me early hours in the morning and so on... But I think I like him a lot anyway! :p He really knows hows to make me worry about if he is happy...

Mr Provolone, this pic is just 30 min after I rescued him from street... he is very ok with people petting him, when he is the garden, he let all kids hug him :)

Attachments

• Provolone I.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 426
Cute kitty, Fernando!  See if you can get him a feline leukemia test (or general wellness/health exam to check for feline AIDS and other stuff) and if he's okay, get him vaccinated.  Taking in strays is great, but it can be really, really sad if they have one of the common illnesses that strays get and you don't know until it's too late to help them. 

+1000

My ex and I had that happen to us. One of the greatest cats we'd ever met, and 6 months later she was dead, not even a year old. We were so heartbroken we didn't know if we could ever get another. Just devastating.

Of course, we did anyway. Love cats. But, the next one we spent the money and did all the immunizations, etc. They're not really expensive, they're just a pain in the ass. Cats aren't as interested in going for a ride as dogs are, and will literally fight you tooth, fang and claw to avoid it.

Nice shots! No question what they're saying...

DSC00514.jpg

Get away from me, and I mean now!

DSC00670_zpsa7bc7f24.jpg

Tree Cat is watching you masturbate...

It's been a little over a month since our big boy passed, and our routine is slowly adjusting.  Having 4, they all had idiosyncrasies you couldn't train out of each one of them.  I think cats are OCD.  That is, they engage in behaviors they're bound too, but get no enjoyment out of, definitely the compulsive aspect.

The one that recently passed, he would chew on plastic grocery bags.  You'd hear him from across the house, and have to immediately get them from him.  He trained us to put up groceries immediately.  The sound of running water would also immediately capture his attention.  He's in the sink all of the sudden, or trying to drink your glass of water.  You couldn't set a glass down around him, and if you left it out, the next morning it would be knocked over.  Funny thing though, if you put ice cubes in his water bowl, he'd immediately go to that.  If you got up in the middle of the night to get water, he had his glass you'd fill up, and he'd drink with you. 

Now that he's gone, we still jump to pick up plastic bags and guard our beverages.  These things were an annoyance at the time, but now you miss them.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Domestic cats are close enough to wild animals, I wouldn't get that close to a real wild one that is larger.

No kidding. They're crafty little rascals who know their business, which is catching/killing meat. It's a survival thing, and you don't dare get in the way of that sort of drive.

It's getting a little better for us. with a setback last night after we brought home the tin with remains, a paw imprint, and a lock of hair from the veterinarian.

Seems to me cats are closer to wild animals than dogs. Dogs evolved to be tame, useful and affectionate towards us, which got them fed. Cats don't have either of those two latter things - they evolved to be attractive and cute so they'd get fed.

Tonar8353 said:
Here are a few beautiful kitty's my buddy ran into in the past couple of weeks.
DSC00514.jpg

Beauty girl! She just wanna some hugs! I can give it to her... Lets call her "el piccolo"  :)

Back