Capacitor Selection

Greenfisted

I've recently spent many hours on warmoth.com selecting every aspect of my 1st project just the way i want it. I plan to order every part i need for complete assembly, as i will not be building this guitar myself. One option I can't quite wrap my head around is capacitor selection. What factors play an important role in this? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx

I'm building sort of an Musicman Axis Super Sport clone, so I found out which capicitor they use and ordered the same (.022uf).

Simplistic,  yeah, but it works.

Hopefully somebody else here knows a bit more on how different value capacitors affect tone.

I'm planning on using EMG's. 81 at the bridge & 85 at the neck. Also, my music style is mostly metal, i don't know if that matters. About finding out what other guitars use for capacitors, how did u find that out?

It  was on the Musicman wedsite.

You could look here:  http://www.emgpickups.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/Humbuckers_active.pdf

Seems the EMG folks like .1uf capcators.

So, .1uf it is. Thanx for your help guys! One more question. I am a complete newb when it comes to building a guitar. If i want only 1 tone control on my guitar, only 1 capacitor is required, right?

Greenfisted said:
So, .1uf it is. Thanx for your help guys! One more question. I am a complete newb when it comes to building a guitar. If i want only 1 tone control on my guitar, only 1 capacitor is required, right?

1 is all you need.

EMG has custom control set ups available. (special order) I've used EMG's pre wired set ups for years and there is no capacitor that I am aware of in any set up.

You don't "have" to have a cap.  My current project is goint to be a 2 HB Duncan set (JB/Jazz) with a 5 way super switch and one 500k pot.  The Duncan web site has diagrams available for all kinds of set ups, so does Dimarzio.  As for EMG's I've always used their pre wired sets.

Thumb, you sure about that?  I've had a bunch of electronic schooling, years ago, and the way I was taught how tone controlls works is by shunting a certain amount (determined by the resistive setting of the pot) of the higher frequency to ground. that frequncy that is shunted or let through to ground is determined by the value of the cap.
In a typical setup, when you roll off the tone, you are cutting out the higher frequencies, not boosting the bass

I could pull out some books and layout formulas etc...I am paraphrasing sorta how it all works. but the jist is, capacitors are a vital link in selectivly manipulating frequencies.
Maybe emg has some SMT caps or something that does not look like a cap, or maybe electronics has just left this old guy in the dust.

I have an emg active tone controll setup (david Gilmour) there are little circuit boards attached to the back of the pots, I am sure there are caps there, even if in a microchip

You have me curious now, I wanna find out.

It's been a long time since I'd seen the DG set but my current 81/SA/SA set has no visable cap's and neither does the SVx3 set I have in mothballs.  Chances are the cap is internal with the pickup. 

But I only know enough to be dangerous when it comes to wireing. :laughing7:

I've never "custom" wired EMG's.  I've always used their set up.

Here'e the circuit board from EMG DG-20 setup:

DG-20-Capacitors.jpg

It has at least 8 capacitors. Mostly .1uF (.1uC) .

The circuit board is for the Expander and Presence Control.

look at this

http://www.emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=7&catalogid=103

thats all the wireing needed for a 81/SA/SA (no cap's shown?) at least on that set.

Looking at some of the other PU's it looks like there are cap's between the Vol / Tone pots though.  But that all comes with the set.  If you buy the Zakk Wylde set you will have your 81/85 and all the wireing you need.

thumb55 said:
The circuit board is for the Expander and Presence Control.

look at this

http://www.emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=7&catalogid=103

thats all the wireing needed for a 81/SA/SA (no cap's shown?) at least on that set.

Looking at some of the other PU's it looks like there are cap's between the Vol / Tone pots though.  But that all comes with the set.  If you buy the Zakk Wylde set you will have your 81/85 and all the wireing you need.

If you look at the "Product Data Sheet" linked on that page (diagram 4) for the set you will see a capacitor.  http://www.emgpickups.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/strat.pdf

Thanks Boobala, I knew they musta been there

Thumb I followed your link, and yes they have a pic of the components there, but if you follow that adobe link labeled details or specs, you will see their drawings showing either circuit boards as boobala has shown above, or they show caps soldered in typical fasion.  

Lets not beat this horse anymore - theres really only 3 components to all electronics  resistance, inductance, capacitance,

Alfang said:
Thanks Boobala, I knew they musta been there

Thumb I followed your link, and yes they have a pic of the components there, but if you follow that adobe link labeled details or specs, you will see their drawings showing either circuit boards as boobala has shown above, or they show caps soldered in typical fasion.  

Lets not beat this horse anymore - theres really only 3 components to all electronics  resistance, inductance, capacitance,

Yeah, I checked just about all of EMG's wiring diagrams, and all of them required a capacitor unless it had some sort of tone shaping active circuit (i.e, Expander and Presence Control) which themselves employ capacitors.

emgs come with all the stuff you need, including the capacitor. you'll  save a lot of  time using there prewired setup.

i also suggest an afterburner to get 20dbs of gain right on your guitar,  :party07:

Back