Some Quick Questions Before My First Build

rorycosgrove

Hi! I've dreamed of building with Warmoth parts for many years and I'm finally in a position to do so! I'll post a list of my desired specs before purchasing, but before that there are just a few things I would like some help with. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

1. I'm looking to loosely match the feel of my Ibanez RG's neck. I've researched many threads to arrive at the conclusion that fret sizes such as "jumbo" are not set in stone and vary greatly by manufacturer. As I don't have access to the tool(s) needed to measure fret size, and going to a tech is a bit inconvenient currently, I was wondering if anyone knows what fret size Ibanez is calling Jumbo on recent models such as mine: https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/rgew520mcw_1p_01.html

2. Additionally, I'd like to match my Ibanez's rather flat 400mm radius, which is close to 16 inches. I'm also planning on using a Floyd Rose, but as I understand it the Floyd nuts have a radius of 10 inches or sometimes 12. What is the best solution for equipping a Floyd Nut on a 16 inch radius? (I'm very comfortable on my Ibanez neck, and while I have heard many great things about the compound radius boards, I don't want to spend a large sum of money on something I haven't tried, especially when I already love the 16).

3. I'm interested in getting a matching headstock veneer. I don't see this option as a selection on the website, so would it be best to call or email Warmoth to inquire further? My body top and potential headstock veneer would be flame maple, and my neck and fretboard wood choice is roasted flame maple. I'm also not certain if the headstock veneer option is in any way related to my choice of whether to have the neck finished or not.

4. Last question! At the risk of starting a huge Basswood debate, I've done a lot of research on the wood and concluded that it's quality varies greatly, so I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with Warmoth's selection of Basswood and can vouch for it's quality.

I hope these questions are not too much - I've spent many hours researching everything and these were the only things I could not come to a conclusion on. Once again I appreciate any help, thank you!

Rory

Basswood is what we call linden in the northeast and it’s a great wood, warmoths website description is spot on.  As for getting a bum piece from warmoth that won’t happen.

1. For frets go for 6100 and I would also recommend stainless steel. These will be the closest to the larger frets that RGs tend to have.

2. Warmoth necks standardly have 10 - 16" compound radius. The 10" at the nut will match that of a Floyd nut - bear in mind you would pay extra to have a "straight" 16" radius and then what will you do with the nut?
A wizard profile would also be closer to an RG.
You will also need to considering to shim the Floyd Bridge to arrive at a suitable radius.

3. Matching headstock veneer you would write in the notes when placing an order and that you accept the up charge but if you email that is also an option as an alternate means of ordering.

4. Warmoth offers good woods whatever the type, so if you want Basswood then order that.

I know often folks on a first build want to throw everything at it but it is not always the best course of action if you are not certain on some things.  As you may be concerned regarding trying a different radius and so on. Have you considered building with plainer options than matching headstocks and other more costly none functional options?

stratamania said:
1. For frets go for 6100 and I would also recommend stainless steel. These will be the closest to the larger frets that RGs tend to have.

2. Warmoth necks standardly have 10 - 16" compound radius. The 10" at the nut will match that of a Floyd nut - bear in mind you would pay extra to have a "straight" 16" radius and then what will you do with the nut?
A wizard profile would also be closer to an RG.
You will also need to considering to shim the Floyd Bridge to arrive at a suitable radius.

3. Matching headstock veneer you would write in the notes when placing an order and that you accept the up charge but if you email that is also an option as an alternate means of ordering.

4. Warmoth offers good woods whatever the type, so if you want Basswood then order that.

I know often folks on a first build want to throw everything at it but it is not always the best course of action if you are not certain on some things.  As you may be concerned regarding trying a different radius and so on. Have you considered building with plainer options than matching headstocks and other more costly none functional options?

Thank you for taking the time to answer! While I understand your point about going for plainer options, from my perspective I am certain of what I want, but not 100% certain of how to achieve it all through Warmoth. That was my exact reason for asking these questions. But thanks to your response, I have clarity on all besides for the radius issue. Your question of "what would I do with the nut?" if using a Floyd Rose nut with a straight 16 inch radius is exactly what I'm trying to determine. Would a luthier be able to make adjustments to the nut or shelf to accommodate this? Are there other manufacturers that produce compatible locking nuts of different radii? Or is there simply no solution for a custom build with those specifications?

Also lastly I just wanted to clarify that I'm replicating the Ibanez specs as they are my favorite feel, but I own multiple guitars with different specs and I'd be willing to sacrifice my preference in the event that there is no other option

I don’t have a Floyd but you can call big w and ask, they’ll tell you.

Okay if you are certain that is fine just giving some food for thought.

A Gotoh GHL-2 has a 400mm radius and would probably be the best option for a 16" radius but you will find that a Floyd shelf is not available in a straight 16" radius in the neck builder from Warmoth. I just checked what was discussed a while back in this thread in the builder.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21699.0

Unless by calling or emailing Warmoth to be certain it is not available off menu you are probably back to a 10 - 16" radius for your project.

Let us know how you get on and look forward to seeing your project come together.

stratamania said:
Okay if you are certain that is fine just giving some food for thought.

A Gotoh GHL-2 has a 400mm radius and would probably be the best option for a 16" radius but you will find that a Floyd shelf is not available in a straight 16" radius in the neck builder from Warmoth. I just checked what was discussed a while back in this thread in the builder.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21699.0

Unless by calling or emailing Warmoth to be certain it is not available off menu you are probably back to a 10 - 16" radius for your project.

Let us know how you get on and look forward to seeing your project come together.

Thanks! I actually just discovered that thread along with one on the same subject that I had made myself 8 years ago and COMPLETELY forgot about lol. I was mistaken for thinking that was an option in the builder. I'll contact Warmoth to confirm it's impossibility, and if so I'll most likely go for a 12-16. I've read many posts with people using R3s on a 12, and I'll research further to confirm. 2 of my other favorite necks have 12 inch radii, and it's something I can test on many Jackson models at a store to make sure I like it.

I'm also loosely entertaining the idea of going with a non-locking nut and locking tuners. As I understand it, dropping the bar too low could be a big issue with strings hopping out of place, but Guthrie Govan's signature Charvel for example uses a locking trem similar to a Floyd and he doesn't use a locking nut, so it may not be an issue if not diving too deep. Probably not gonna risk this but it's an interesting thought

stratamania said:
Cool, if you want to do an OFR Non Fine Tuner that is an off menu possibility.

Here is a thread I did Metallic Black Cherry Floyd NFT build , complete with Floyd OFT NFT, LSR roller nuts, battery boxes, thrills, spills and broken drill bits...
That looks amazing man! Glad you got through those hiccups with it too! How does using the NFT Floyd compare to a standard Floyd, is there even really any difference in feel? Looks like literally everything is the same besides the Fine tuning system

rorycosgrove said:
stratamania said:
Cool, if you want to do an OFR Non Fine Tuner that is an off menu possibility.

Here is a thread I did Metallic Black Cherry Floyd NFT build , complete with Floyd OFT NFT, LSR roller nuts, battery boxes, thrills, spills and broken drill bits...
That looks amazing man! Glad you got through those hiccups with it too! How does using the NFT Floyd compare to a standard Floyd, is there even really any difference in feel? Looks like literally everything is the same besides the Fine tuning system

Thanks. I am glad about it also :)

It is similar to the Floyds with the fine tuners, but dimensionally they are not quite the same. That said the post dimensions are the same and in terms of feel they are very similar.  I have found it to turn out to be very stable but if you were going to do constant dive bombs live I would still tend towards a locking nut and fine tuner Floyd. But this I find is a good compromise overall.

I use an NFT Floyd with locking tuners and an LSR nut (no locking nut) and it's pretty great. 

You can dump the strings to spaghetti and they won't pop out of the nut. 

The tuning stability is also pretty impressive.  Probably not as stable as a locking nut, but not so much less stable that you'd feel like you compromised the setup unless you're a total maniac on the vibrato bar.

Lastly, like the tuning stability, the feel of the action of the trem might be a little different, but IMO, not very much.  Shimmery micro-tone warbles come through fine. 

Not trying to convince you to do something new on your first Warmoth build, but it's something to consider at some point

Zebra said:
I use an NFT Floyd with locking tuners and an LSR nut (no locking nut) and it's pretty great. 

You can dump the strings to spaghetti and they won't pop out of the nut. 

The tuning stability is also pretty impressive.  Probably not as stable as a locking nut, but not so much less stable that you'd feel like you compromised the setup unless you're a total maniac on the vibrato bar.

Lastly, like the tuning stability, the feel of the action of the trem might be a little different, but IMO, not very much.  Shimmery micro-tone warbles come through fine. 

Not trying to convince you to do something new on your first Warmoth build, but it's something to consider at some point

Thanks! I've been giving this a lot of consideration actually, cuz I feel like the locking nut sucks away some tone and I mostly use the trem just to do little dips and vibratos anyway. Question though, if I were to do this through Warmoth, does the recessed original Floyd rout not accommodate an NFT Floyd? And do you think it would hold tune well with a GraphTech Tusq?

UPDATE: Just checked it out and I realize it's an off-menu option but Warmoth will do the rout. So now I'm wondering, if a NFT Floyd isn't disastrous with a non-locking nut, is there really any reason why a standard Floyd would be any worse in that application?

rorycosgrove said:
UPDATE: Just checked it out and I realize it's an off-menu option but Warmoth will do the rout. So now I'm wondering, if a NFT Floyd isn't disastrous with a non-locking nut, is there really any reason why a standard Floyd would be any worse in that application?

If you had a body with a Floyd with fine tuners and used it with a neck without a lock nut you would get a similar result to a NFT Floyd set up with a similar nut and locking tuners.

The off-menu option exists due mainly to myself and some other forum members who pledged to each buy a body if Warmoth did the R&D for the recessed rout. It also needs a specially cut pickguard for a top rout body. Aaron also sponsored this within Warmoth. This was quite special as those types of things rarely happen. Probably also the Guthrie Govan's Charvel helped the cause.

The recessed NFT and fine tuner Floyd routs are different and not interchangeable.  However the good news is the R & D for an off-menu NFT rout and matching pickguard has been done...

So just to update this thread in case anyone reads it for information in the future.

The NFT Floyd and the OFR Floyd are dimensionally different.  Here is a quote from an older thread from myself and Aaron from Warmoth. This was in reply to a forum member who had made an assumption on dimensions for pickguards or something would be the same.

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:
@ GT1-Reach and anyone else reading this in the future. Please take note and I have emphasized this so no one misses it.

The dimensions of the NFT Floyd and the OFR are different.

What is the same is the post width but that is about all.

I am quoting this again, in a bigger font, for anybody who thinks stratamania is just joking around. He is not.

Every armchair and backseat "guitar designer" out there who shook their heads at Warmoth for not knowing how blindingly simple it would be to just shorten up the rout behind the string clamps was wrong. Sorry dudes....it ain't as simple as you think it is. The baseplate on the NFT is wider. The NFT will not drop into an OFR rout....it is too wide. The entire rout has to be done from scratch.

stratamania said:
rorycosgrove said:

If you had a body with a Floyd with fine tuners and used it with a neck without a lock nut you would get a similar result to a NFT Floyd set up with a similar nut and locking tuners.

The off-menu option exists due mainly to myself and some other forum members who pledged to each buy a body if Warmoth did the R&D for the recessed rout. It also needs a specially cut pickguard for a top rout body. Aaron also sponsored this within Warmoth. This was quite special as those types of things rarely happen. Probably also the Guthrie Govan's Charvel helped the cause.

The recessed NFT and fine tuner Floyd routs are different and not interchangeable.  However the good news is the R & D for an off-menu NFT rout and matching pickguard has been done...

So just to update this thread in case anyone reads it for information in the future.

The NFT Floyd and the OFR Floyd are dimensionally different.  Here is a quote from an older thread from myself and Aaron from Warmoth. This was in reply to a forum member who had made an assumption on dimensions for pickguards or something would be the same.

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:
@ GT1-Reach and anyone else reading this in the future. Please take note and I have emphasized this so no one misses it.

What is the same is the post width but that is about all.

I am quoting this again, in a bigger font, for anybody who thinks stratamania is just joking around. He is not.

Every armchair and backseat "guitar designer" out there who shook their heads at Warmoth for not knowing how blindingly simple it would be to just shorten up the rout behind the string clamps was wrong. Sorry dudes....it ain't as simple as you think it is. The baseplate on the NFT is wider. The NFT will not drop into an OFR rout....it is too wide. The entire rout has to be done from scratch.

Thanks again! Sorry for my original misunderstanding, when you said "off-menu option" I was at first thinking you just meant that an NFT Floyd wasn't sold through Warmoth but I came to understand after using my brain a bit harder haha. I'm pretty excited given all of this new info, I'm most likely going to go with a standard Floyd since I already know it well, and pair it with a Tusq nut and locking tuners, this way I can keep my 16 inch radius. The locking nut has been one of my issues with Floyds despite my love for them, and it never really occurred to me to use a Floyd without one until I saw Guthrie's setup. I also just found a guy on YouTube who has a Floyd with a standard nut and Locking Tuners who proceeds to brutalize the bar excessively with no tuning issues or popping out of the nut. People in other threads I found seemed really concerned about that pop-out happening but it seems highly unlikely in actual results

To avoid strings popping out you need a well cut nut and also if using locking tuners on a strat type headstock that is not angled make sure to use staggered locking tuners.

As another consideration - I seem to recall hearing that Guthrie prefers bone or corian nuts, because all his trem use wears the bottom of the string slots too quickly on synthetic TUSQ-style nuts, thereby lowering the action at the nut and causing buzz.  Could just be garbage internet rumors, of course - or to be capable of playing like that, you need to put in 100 hours a week!

I have heard Guthrie saying that he prefers bone nuts for that reason.

Though I have found Tusq reliable enough and the other thing is not all bone may be of the same quality.

Back