Candy Apple Red Thinline Tele

Verne Bunsen

It's been a busy several months since I pulled the trigger on the materials for this build, a build that is a bit of a "Fantasy Guitar Build" for me, but I'm finally making time to start moving forward with it.

The original thread is here:
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=27781.0

I don't want to re-post all of the pictures from that thread, but it seems prudent to start with a shot of the wooden parts. They are purtier than my crummy picture can properly convey. Warmoth knows Candy Apple Red, man.....
Photo%20May%2015%2C%207%2042%2016%20PM.jpeg

Alder body finished in Candy Apple Red, double bound. Routed for a Strat trem. Flame maple neck with Macassar Ebony fretboard and a big, gnarly CBS headstock painted to match.

After winding the pickups (see http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=28702.0 ) I started out by getting the pickguard wired up.
24.jpeg

Photo%20Oct%2023%2C%208%2058%2045%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Oct%2023%2C%208%2059%2012%20PM.jpeg

It's on a 5-way "half" Super Switch wired for the following options:
Bridge Full
Bridge Split
Bridge Split + Neck Split
Neck Split
Neck Full

I'm expecting to re-visit the wiring at least once to sample the Bridge Full + Neck Full combination.

Lining up the Gotoh Magnum Lock tuners. These things get a bad rap but I have used them on a few guitars now and have really come to like them.
Photo%20Oct%2023%2C%209%2037%2008%20PM.jpeg

Tuners and headstock decal installed. Many thanks to Mr. Pinter for pointing me to Morning Print for the metal decal!
Photo%20Oct%2023%2C%2011%2043%2020%20PM.jpeg

I hit a bit of a stumbling block when I went to install the trem claw, the holes on my claw were too narrowly spaced! I didn't know there were narrower ones and wider ones, but now I do. Hopefully I can source a properly spec'd claw at the local Guitar Center, otherwise it'll be Stew Mac to the rescue....

:eek:  That's real purdy, for sure!  That Candy Apple/white pearl combo is going to be killer!

Do people not like the Magnum locking tuners?  I was considering some of the Gotoh Kluson-style Magnum/Height-Adjustable tuners for a build of my own.  Are they no good?

Sovereign_13 said:
:eek:  That's real purdy, for sure!  That Candy Apple/white pearl combo is going to be killer!

Do people not like the Magnum locking tuners?  I was considering some of the Gotoh Kluson-style Magnum/Height-Adjustable tuners for a build of my own.  Are they no good?

I used them on my Corvette Tele and they seem fine. My tech suggested they didn't always hold well on the top string(s) but I've had no problems (using 9s).

I'm not overly worried about string thickness, as this is for a Bass VI.  Although I suppose I should be a little worried about the strings being too thick.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack VB's build thread.  :-\

That looks spectacular.

I too can attest to how good the Gotoh tuners are. I've got them for three necks and I love them.
On the other hand did I encounter problem with Hipshot tuners. For me the tuner holding the high e string (009) didn't grip well enough causing the string to slip and go flat, sometimes coming completely loose. Even though I locked the tuner down really tight.
I guess there's always a bad apple no matter the brand or model.

I like this design a lot.  I never considered myself a candy apple red guy.  I'm rethinking...

Sovereign_13 said:

I'm not overly worried about string thickness, as this is for a Bass VI.  Although I suppose I should be a little worried about the strings being too thick.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack VB's build thread.  :-\

Not a hijack, parts talk! What initially had me looking at the Magnum Locks was that they carried the aesthetic of the Kluson "Safety Post" tuners that were on my old Tele. I liked that. The complaints I encountered in researching them were that 1) they didn't hold skinny strings well as Pete said, and 2) they were difficult to change strings with on the fly.

With regards to holding the string securely, I've never had a problem with slippage. My high E is a 10. As far as changing strings, I can't say I've had difficulty there either. Worst case scenario is you may need a penny to break the retainer loose. I have no complaints at all with them. They turn smoothly, hold tune properly, and make string changes a breeze once you get used to them. There is a learning curve I suppose.

Depending on how beefy the strings in question are, your concern about them being too thick may be valid. There are 3 "small" and three "large" diameter tuners in the set. According to the spec sheet the small opening is 1.2mm/0.047", the large opening is 1.8mm/0.070. My low E is a 52 and it fills that hole pretty thoroughly...

Logrinn said:
That looks spectacular.

ghotiphry said:
I like this design a lot.  I never considered myself a candy apple red guy.  I'm rethinking...

Thanks! I wish I could capture the finish properly, it is so very impressive. It has depth that will play with your head. My wife has a knack for guitar pictures, I'll see if she can put her magic on it.

-VB- said:
Not a hijack, parts talk!
I'm always just a little leery to ask too many questions on a build thread.  Probably just me.  Don't want to distract from all the beautiful guitar/bass pr0n, either.  :toothy10:

-VB- said:
According to the spec sheet the small opening is 1.2mm/0.047", the large opening is 1.8mm/0.070. My low E is a 52 and it fills that hole pretty thoroughly...

Well, I emailed LaBella about it, and their answer was kind of vague, BUT the Squier Bass VI (which LaBella says the strings will work with) don't seem to have any special kind of tuners, so...?  I guess we'll see.  Their flatwound sets seem to taper down pretty rapidly after the nut.

I like these tuners for exactly the reasons you listed.  And also because Warmoth only offers the "vintage-style" Gotoh holes for Bass6 necks, so these would fit those holes while still offering all the modern conveniences of locking tuners and saving me from needing string trees.  Win-win-win!

-VB- said:
Thanks! I wish I could capture the finish properly, it is so very impressive. It has depth that will play with your head. My wife has a knack for guitar pictures, I'll see if she can put her magic on it.

I've seen their CAR finish in person on a Tele, and you're right - it's outstanding. I've been wanting to do something in that color ever since.

-VB- said:

Get that candy under some electric light (and maybe without reflections of a cd rack).

StJT9N1.jpg

The CAR really is a spectacular color. Almost good enough to eat. This will look amazing when done.

Dang Pete, that is a cool shot!

No luck with a trem claw at Guitar Center, but I called Rainbow Guitars here in Tucson and their repair shop has a few. I'm going to swing by on the way to pick up Junior at school this afternoon.

In the mean time, I tended to other tasks.

Like countersinking all of the pre-drilled holes to get the finish away from the hole...
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%2012%2017%2018%20PM.jpeg

And installing the strap buttons... I cannot begin to describe the pucker factor of putting a drill bit against this finish. And I still have to do it 13 more times....
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%2012%2038%2003%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%2012%2044%2020%20PM.jpeg

I also went ahead and chased the threads into the trem claw screw holes.
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%2012%2027%2016%20PM.jpeg

To look at it, I didn't think I'd need to do anything to the neck pocket. However the neck disagreed when I tried to press it in. So out came the machinist rule, the dowel, and the self-adhesive sand paper...
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%201%2000%2026%20PM.jpeg

I did a dry fit and, man-oh-man-oh-man-oh-man.....
Photo%20Oct%2024%2C%201%2017%2016%20PM.jpeg

(Pardon the condition of my bench, it gets a bit disheveled when I'm in the thick of things...)

That's a disheveled bench?

Remind me to always crop the hell out of my pics...

Cagey said:
That's a disheveled bench?

Remind me to always crop the hell out of my pics...
Dude, that's what me bench looks like after I straighten it out! Beautiful project -VB-, like'n it a lot!  :headbang:

That is really beautiful. Together it looks even better than I imagined.

My bench isn't as clean as that as a rule, either.

Back