Camphor Burl VIP's

DocNrock

Master Member
Here is a sneak peek I got at my twins being made.  The first is chambered and will be a standard guitar, the second is not and will get a bubinga baritone neck.  The only reason I got the pics mid-creation was because of some QC questions, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten these pics.  Unfortunately, unforseen difficulties in doing the DL camphor burl tops will prevent this from being offered in the future I am told.  They look OK to me like this.

vip1a.jpg

vip2a.jpg

Might want to hang on to those Brent, may be collectors items in the future if they never do anymore champhor DL's...

Yup, Doug, I decided I'm going to keep them.  Looking at them like this, I see no flaw.  Only what I know tells me where there is a flaw. 

I was thinking: sad that you have the problem with QC again... what happened this time?
Have they told if only Camphor burl is out or if they will take away all burls (or exotics and do it only with maple?)

NonsenseTele said:
I was thinking: sad that you have the problem with QC again... what happened this time?
Have they told if only Camphor burl is out or if they will take away all burls (or exotics and do it only with maple?)

The problem with a camphor burl dual lam was cracking at points of tension, like the midline behind the Floyd route.  If you look really close you can see it, but it is not obvious in these photos.  But since it happened on 2 out of 2 attempts, it was decided by Warmoth that Camphor Burl is not a good wood for a DL VIP.  That said, I cannot comment on the other top wood exotics.

Damn, Doc!  That first one looks like it was made of reptile skin, or shell or some such thing!  Looks like you'll have the only two of their kind!

DocNrock said:
  Unfortunately, unforseen difficulties in doing the DL camphor burl tops will prevent this from being offered in the future I am told. 

well they'll do anything for you Doc since you're single-handedly keeping Warmoth in the black. :laughing7:

GoDrex said:
DocNrock said:
  Unfortunately, unforseen difficulties in doing the DL camphor burl tops will prevent this from being offered in the future I am told. 

well they'll do anything for you Doc since you're single-handedly keeping Warmoth in the black. :laughing7:

This wasn't anything special for me.  I asked Gregg on one of the forums here if camphor burl could be done as a dual lam.  He said yes, so I ordered one, then one more.  It was only when they ran into issues like cracking that they decided this couldn't be offered routinely.  If you had asked first, you would have had these.  But since you think birdseye maple looks like a dermatologic condition, I doubt you'd have ordered these.  Perhaps you should step up and order more stuff...you know you want to.   :laughing7:

Gregg said:
Those are gorgeous. Congrats.

Thanks Gregg, I think they look cool.

Nice, eh?  Once camphor burl came available, I wanted a VIP with a camphor burl top.  I'd have even accepted a flat top, but that was not available.

Wow, some very high-end stuff here. But Doc, there is a bunch of wood missing where your fixed bridge ought to be. I hope you got a good discount for that. :icon_jokercolor:

tfarny said:
Wow, some very high-end stuff here. But Doc, there is a bunch of wood missing where your fixed bridge ought to be. I hope you got a good discount for that. :icon_jokercolor:

I'm glad to see you put a joker there, because there is no way my build here would be fixed bridge  :laughing7:

Back