Budget Stratocaster Build

This old thread might be useful to you as far as color and materials- I no longer have the guitar though. Poplar takes stain differently than alder, however.
Finished pics on pg 2. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8117.0

Hmm.. this thread makes me really want to pick up a few cheap parts off the showcase and dye the body myself.

I have a time or two considered lots of black stain + tru-oil as an easy DIY opaque finish on the occasion some basswood or poplar body in the showcase tempts me.

Just a shameless plug for Ken at Roadhouse pickups.  The man followed my build on this forum, and when I called him he already knew what it should sound like.  And it does.
His prices were less expensive than what seymour would have sold them to me off the shelf, and they were custom wound to get the sound I was looking for.
Good luck on your first build!  Here's mine...
JM-on-rug-9-20-12_zpsd2c495b8.jpg

tylereot said:
Just a shameless plug for Ken at Roadhouse pickups.  The man followed my build on this forum, and when I called him he already knew what it should sound like.  And it does.
His prices were less expensive than what seymour would have sold them to me off the shelf, and they were custom wound to get the sound I was looking for.
Good luck on your first build!  Here's mine...
JM-on-rug-9-20-12_zpsd2c495b8.jpg
I second that motion, Ken makes some awesome pups. He made a set for my aluminum strat, which he named after me, D6's... :icon_biggrin:
Stratdone.jpg

photobucket-40807-1338337020185.jpg

Might as well pile on and send out a little more love for Roadhouse pups - Ken sold me a pair of True Blue P90's that are hands-down the most responsive and gratifying pups I've ever played.  They're installed in The Hog, my green mahogany tele.

I have three sets of Ken's pickups.  A pair of seven string humbuckers that are huge sounding, a set of tele pickups, and a P90 and a T90 pair.  The T90 is a P90 is the form of a tele pickup.  There are lots of terms used to describe Ken's work, but depth is one that gets agreed upon quite a bit.  I really like them and generally suggest Roadhouse pickups to anyone that has a request that is either would be exactly what Ken makes, or some of the more interesting ideas out there since Ken is known to do crazy custom one offs.  I will get a pair of his P80's (P90 form, but with magnetic pole pieces for a more Fenderish P90 tone) in the future, but I don't know when.  Life keeps interfering with my guitar builds.
Patrick

swarfrat said:
If the project stack gets low enough to mess with my 12 string, I'm going to stick a set of GFS Neovin vintage S/S/S in there.

+1

I can't say enough nice things about the Neovin Tele set.

Back