Brutal Legend Flying V

anorakDan

More pics and words about the project.

Tonar has already agreed to lay on a glossy black lacquer paint job on the body.

The neck will be padouk, with a pao ferro fingerboard. The frets will be stainless. Position markers will be cream dots with a skull and crossbones at the 12th fret. Black Graph Tech nut.

Bridge will be chrome Wilkinson. (Is the GFS Wilky a suitable bridge, or should I go with the one Warmoth handles?)

I'm leaning toward GFS Dream 90s, or maybe Mean 90's for the pickups.

I scored the tuners from eBay. They are the same ones C. B. Gitty was carrying. They're actually not bad tuners. I had originally thought to just use the skulls on something else, like Grovers or Schallers, whatever they might fit, but now I'm thinking I'll just use them as is.

A buddy of mine does great pinstriping, so I'm gonna collar him to lay down the red in One Shot enamel.

Going to go with Q-Parts' chrome Angry Skull UFO knobs, and I wanted a red MJ Guitars switch knob, but it looks as if they're not carrying those (or any knobs) anymore.

Stay tuned, True Believers, as this awesome beast comes together!

Attachments

• the_inspiration.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DCP02878.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Brutal_Legend_V.jpg
    Brutal_Legend_V.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 72
Good call on a leg rest for sitting down. Do you have a solution in mind? If you're searching for something, C-Shop sell (Steinberger-style) Hohner fold-out leg rests here.

I forgot to mention that. Another buddy of mine is a woodworker who happens to have a supply of padouk. The plan is to have him make a custom piece for me from padouk, that will bolt on to the bottom edge. The machine screws will fit into threaded inserts. That will probably be the last part of the project.

Don't forget this:
DV019_Jpg_Regular_110007.003.118_green_medium.jpg

I'm curious about the leg rest.  I've always seen people have the V straddle the leg of theor strumming hand to play whilst sitting down, and I've tried it myself and found it both comfortable, and helpful for "forcing" me to hold the guitar in a more classical position.

Anyone else notice that in the Brutal Legend picture, there is no guitar strap attached to the guitar?  It's like it's attached to his zipper. 

Or maybe, it's hanging by some exotic piercing; but if that were the case, then I don't think he'd be smiling like that.  Or maybe he would?  :icon_jokercolor:

Jack Black Needs No Strap!!!!!  :headbang1: But yes interesting point. And interesting build will be looking forward to its completion  :evil4:

Back