Body ideas????

jackthehack

Epic Member
Just got in this neck I scored for cheap off eBay:

pfneckfront.JPG

pfneckback.JPG

I'll get a look in showcase, if I don't find nothing we can start to think in a order... You're searching for a Strat or Tele? Or another body?

Oops, pressed the "Post", rather than the "Preview" button....

At any rate, I was think ahead to my next project, was going to do a "'54 Goldtop" Strat, i.e., maple laminate on mahogany body with cream binding, Gibson Goldtop finish on top, a transparent brown on rear with Gotoh 510 bridge and cream P-90.

Does the peanut gallery here think this neck would work for that instead of a mahogany one, or should I venture off into my first dyed quilted maple finish with this neck?

Damn it! I have already selected 10 bodies that could match with this neck! :laughing7:

So changing the finish line:
This gold top should be nice, I think... Don't know why, but now you've told it, I'm thinking that should be nice the gold with that brown neck.... I only don't know about the Gotoh 510 bridge... Perhaps a Tune-o-Matic with string-thru-body will look better... Only a tought...

(Tell me if you wanna see the selection, there's good stuff there  :laughing3: huahahahaha)

If I don't go the goldtop route I'll probably get a rear route Strat or Tele body with a quilt maple top and do a dye job on it...

I like the Idea!
I saw a (korean) Fender Showmaster with a set neck and goldtop finish! very sexy!

Chalk me up as a vote for the goldtop.  I understand the desire to go with the mahagony/rosewood, to make it a "real" goldtop, but I just think this neck right here would be soooo cool with the goldy strat.

i got an idea, since you love to buy things on a whim, get some titanium plating  and ceramic heat shielding tiles (the kind used on the shuttles), and make a body out of that, then paint it with the same paint used to paint the Sistine Chapel, have it gold plated and have it baked in a micva by a rabbi the have it blessed by the dolly lamba, im thinking diamond studded hardware and a case lined with the feathers of a phoenix.
and for an amp, i'll give you my plans for a replica of the ark of the covenant, i hear when you hit it with radio waves it acts like an amp.  your guitar will sound better than the voice of god.  :toothy12:

Pardon moi, but I think that would contrast very nicely on an Olympic White Strat body, tortie pickguard, white plastic, chrome hardware.  The thought there is, if ya sporting nice wood, placed againt a body like that, the contrast with the white smoothness makes yer gnarly wood look better.

-CB- said:
Pardon moi, but I think that would contrast very nicely on an Olympic White Strat body, tortie pickguard, white plastic, chrome hardware.  The thought there is, if ya sporting nice wood, placed againt a body like that, the contrast with the white smoothness makes yer gnarly wood look better.

You got a good tast CB, but this time I've to disagree tremendously with you :)
I think nothing could match LESS than your discription... Sorry!

Phrygian said:
How 'bout a brown quilt top?

YES!

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&start=1&itemNumber=PS2141&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

:eek:ccasion14:

-CB- said:

With a rosewood fretboard and just about any neck wood, I personally think just about any opaque Strat color would look OK.  I think that's just the nature of the Fender.  I think that if Fenders had not existed with their natural neck/headstock finish, a plain maple headstock would look funny.  Anyway, I think this can apply to Fender style guitars with other neck woods as well.

IMO, I would still prefer to match it up with the body wood/color.

-CB- said:

I agree, I just can't believe you said "Strat body"      I don't know about tortoise pickguard, how about a rear route? you gonna be the stratfather too.
And make it a pearl white while your at it, with a pearl red pickguard

I actually think it would look better on the guitar that jack just finnished, put the wenge on something else, although maybe in person the wenge looks great.
It looks good in pictures, maybe better in person. I'd love to hold a wenge someday. LOL thats just dont sound right.

I am not the Telefather.  I only choose to be of service to his office.  Not ME in that pic...

Speaking of I am not.... say this 3x fast

I'm not the fig plucker, nor the fig plucker's son, but I'll plug figs till the fig plucker comes!

I'll stick to me guns on the white strat concept.  Elegant.  There's a picture - I think - in the 4th ed of Aspen Pittman's Tube Amp Book, that shows a Schecter, white as I recall with dark wood neck.  Very elegant looking.... If I'm remembering the right picture.

-CB- said:
Speaking of I am not.... say this 3x fast

I'm not the fig plucker, nor the fig plucker's son, but I'll plug figs till the fig plucker comes!
I can't say it even slow...

-CB- said:
I'll stick to me guns on the white strat concept.  Elegant.  There's a picture - I think - in the 4th ed of Aspen Pittman's Tube Amp Book, that shows a Schecter, white as I recall with dark wood neck.  Very elegant looking.... If I'm remembering the right picture.
Depends of the white strat I like... but I don't think it will matches well with dark wood neck... :) have you a pic of this guitar?

It's not wenge, three piece laminate Pau Ferro, purpleheart strip, ebony fretboard; were I to go a quilted maple top body I's do something a bit lighter overall than the Showcase link that RLW posted and do the dye job myself....

While CB's right, it would look good on an Oly body, the only build like that in my future would be an homage to David Gilmour's #0001 '57 Strat, and this neck wouldn't work for that:

0001.jpg

Damn Jack, that thing looks like it was used to row a boat accross the Thames River, or maybe up the Mighty Mississippi

Back