BK Strat

DocNrock

Master Member
Project number two done.   :cool01:

This is a chambered black korina Strat from the Showcase. The neck, also from the Showcase, is wenge with an ebony fingerboard.  The dots are MOP and the frets SS6115.  Tuners are Planet Waves.

The pickups are Rio Grandes:  Vintage Tallboy, Dirty Harry Jr., and Muy Grande, neck to bridge.  The pots are 280k vol, 250k tone, and a Rothstein Guitars "Voodoo Tone" module (mid-shaper).  The cap is a Jensen paper/oil 0.047uf.  I put a 0.001uf treble bleed across the volume pot for the hell of it.

Speaking of tone...this thing has the most unique tone I've ever heard.  It sounds great clean, but what really surprised me is that it just wails with high gain.  I have to agree with W's tonal description of their woods.  "Howling" is the closest word I can find to describe the high gain solo tone of this baby.

Enjoy.

front.jpg

frets.jpg

headback-1.jpg

head-2.jpg

frets.jpg

back-2.jpg

all.jpg

:icon_biggrin:

I'm surprised that I really like this strat. I think my tastes are changing after hanging here for a while. I'm not a huge fan of the body wood, but with that neck and the hardware it looks perfect to me. I can't imagine improving on it. It's understated which is what I like about it. The neck is amazing looking.

btw - I wish the pics were bigger or you used a better program to shrink them so the quality would be a bit better. If your program has an option to "re-sample" when re-sizing see if you can do that. Either that or put up some links to the originals, which I'm guessing look better.

oh and sound clips?

Looks awesome Doc, after seeing it all strung up and from different angles. I don't think I'd blacken the dirty f-hole... :laughing7:

I really think it looks killer the way it is....Just my .02.. :guitarplayer2:

Thanks Gary and Doug.  I really like the way it turned out, as well.  The f-hole stays unfinished. 

Gary, I was the same way when I first came to this site.  After seeing all the gorgeous understated natural wood guitars, I got it.  This was my first foray into that realm.  Regarding the pics, I think I just need to figure my camera out better, or have a more steady hand.  No reduction program.  The only one processed in any way was the last pic, and that was just for a 90 deg rotation.

Man, that thing is awesome !! Love the color! I was thinking of going with the F hole on my next strat, seeing this just seals it for me !! Very nice neck too.

@ Red King:  Thanks, the RG single coils kick all kinds of ass, and that is coming from a guy who is a die-hard humbucker fan!

@ Jack:  Thanks, man!  That is a great compliment coming from someone who has built so many cool W's.

@ Vanhagar:  Thanks, as well!  What doesn't show up as well in the photos is that the top is a flamed black korina.  So sweet.  I personally hated on the f-hole for the longest time.  After looking at the body again, and again, and again, the f-hole kinda grew on me.  If nothing else, it is unique.

@ Mor Paul:  Thanks, as well!  I have a Tascam recorder that I have not yet used much.  I need to figure out how to use it and to really get the tone of the guitar to come through.  All I get now is a processed sound that really is not true to what I get with the guitar and the amp alone.  This thing just wails and howls, and it just doesn't come across in recording (yet).  This goes to GoDrex, as well.  Gary, you might just have to buy a set of RG's and give them a try.  That is what I did and I am NOT disappointed!

@ Blue313:  Thanks! 

DocNrock said:
  I personally hated on the f-hole for the longest time.  After looking at the body again, and again, and again, the f-hole kinda grew on me.  If nothing else, it is unique.

Hey Doc, the same goes for me.. always disliked f-holes with a passion! and now I'm (still) working on my tele thinline, and my next build will be a very plain f-holed hollow walnut strat.. (rear routed and with a canary/canary neck with no inlays.)

btw, the more I look at the completed pics of your korina strat, the more I love it! once again, great build!

Thanks again, Marko.  Likin' the sound of that walnut Strat.  The canary is going to look so hot on that!

Mmmmm... MMMMM! That reminds me of real tasty bar-b-que. Kinda smokey, little bit sweet, not flashy, full of flavor and ever so friendly to the senses... Oh yeah!

Nice build. It's a real great combo. Beautifully simple and begging to be played. It looks like a lot of thought, consideration and love went into that one.

Congrats!

-TT-

+1 for clips!

TroubledTreble said:
Mmmmm... MMMMM! That reminds me of real tasty bar-b-que. Kinda smokey, little bit sweet, not flashy, full of flavor and ever so friendly to the senses... Oh yeah!

Nice build. It's a real great combo. Beautifully simple and begging to be played. It looks like a lot of thought, consideration and love went into that one.

Congrats!

-TT-

+1 for clips!

Thank you, sir.  First time I ever heard a guitar compared to a BBQ...great concept, especially for this guitar.  :eek:ccasion14:

It's fantastic, of course!  :guitaristgif:  I'm regretting not getting a factory finish more and more, they're fudging gorgeous.

dbw said:
It's fantastic, of course!   :guitaristgif:  I'm regretting not getting a factory finish more and more, they're fricking gorgeous.

Thanks, Dbw.

You know, I've never really done wood finishing.  It looks like a lot of time and effort, but for those who can do it, the rewards look beautiful.  I work 60 to 80 hours a week, and just don't have the time to put into something like that.  I'd love to try it, and almost did on one body, but then I'd be spending my precious free time building a guitar and never playing one!  What's up with that?  :tard:

It is enough for me to decide on what to put together and pay to have it finished.  I know the finish is professionally done and is unlikely to fall apart on me.  If I can find what I like in the showcase, all the better. 

:icon_thumright:

vanhagar said:
I can't take my eyes off this guitar man !!!   I love that neck  :guitarplayer2:

Thanks, man.  This is now one of my favorite guitars.  That is saying a lot given that it has single coils and I have always been a die-hard humbucker fan.

:rock-on:

I like the HB's too, but not for clean stuff. I have a hand wound tele bridge pickup that I like better than an HB! I 've done a little recording ( with video ) that I hope to post up here next week of my strat, I'll grab the tele a do some with that too. It's an ugly beast, but it sounds great !!

Back