Best way to sand a fretboard

phred

Hey Guys,
I have a fretted, unfinished birdseye fretboard that needs smoothing in some areas. What is the best way to do this? Also, can you store dilluted Tung oil on plastic containers?

Thanks for your input.
Scott

Shouldn't be a problem storing tung oil in a plastic container; but what did you dilute it with?

You have a pic of the neck? Can't understand how a birdseye neck wound up with a fretboard needing sanding?

I haven't mixed up the Tung oil yet, but I plan to dilute it with laquer thinner. The neck is less than high quality. A custom shop owed me money and this was the refund. I've been sanding most of the morning, so this isn't a surprise to me unfortunately.

Thanks
Scott

phred said:
I haven't mixed up the Tung oil yet, but I plan to dilute it with laquer thinner. The neck is less than high quality. A custom shop owed me money and this was the refund. I've been sanding most of the morning, so this isn't a surprise to me unfortunately.

Thanks
Scott

Maybe you should have held out for the cash back? Are there frets installed? If the fingerboard isn't trued properly or has some minor warpage or other defect, I don't know how you're going to make that right unless it's unfretted. Who did this, you should let the board know so we can avoid them like the plague.

I was holding out since the 25th of March, or should I say he was holding out. I figured that smearing him on fourums wouldn't get me my refund so I waited and waited. The fretboard is straight it just needs sanded. Divebomb Guitars.

Scott

phred said:
I was holding out since the 25th of March, or should I say he was holding out. I figured that smearing him on fourums wouldn't get me my refund so I waited and waited. The fretboard is straight it just needs sanded. Divebomb Guitars.

Scott
Well then they got the name correct, Divebomb....Not much of a website really....

If you dont physically have that much to sand back, get a #180 and #320 3M sanding sponges, the square edges/corners will make it easier to get right up to the fret. Get it even with the #180, then smooth enough to apply finish with the #320

phred said:

Scott

That sucks, I've only heard good things about him. Sorry to hear, man.

jackthehack said:
If you dont physically have that much to sand back, get a #180 and #320 3M sanding sponges, the square edges/corners will make it easier to get right up to the fret. Get it even with the #180, then smooth enough to apply finish with the #320
#180, damn man he said he just wanted to smooth some spots out not reshape the neck...Unless it's extremely bad I wouldn't use any thing corser than #320 to start with.

I don;t know, haven't seen a pic; if it's that noticible it seems like he's got something to sand out

jackthehack said:
I don;t know, haven't seen a pic; if it's that noticible it seems like he's got something to sand out
True, would be easier to diagnose I guess with a pic of said problem...

Back