Best unbranded leather guitar straps?

Steve_Karl

I've got two 4" wide chocolate browns from these guys  https://www.italiastraps.com/
and when I got them I think I got a buy one get one free deal.

I love them because they're soft thick and wide and sturdy and still smell great after 2 years.

But now, the price is a bit up there at $69.xx for a 2.5" and $79.xx for a 4" and I need 1 more 2.5" wide.

Has anyone found a great unbranded and no metal attachments strap maker with a better price?

I have several of this 2.5" unit, and I find them very comfortable.  Available in eight different colors.

EDIT - they're acually 3", but nevertheless, quite comfy.

http://www.levysleathers.com/shop/classic-padded-strap-dm1pd-dbr/

It's stamped with the Levy logo near the front strap button hole, but apart from that it's unadorned.  The manufacturer's website lists them at  US$53.78, so you might even be able to beat that on Amazon or elsewhere.

DM1PD-BLK.jpg

LM Enterprises, 3.5" Hidden Tail on the far right, 2.5" standard tail weave in the center: http://lm-products.myshopify.com/collections/luxury-leathers/products/the-heritage?variant=968368555

Going to a 3.5" padded strap has made loads of difference on my back, neck, & shoulder.
The Hidden Tail makes for clean look and feel also.

I have a pile of Franklin straps here that I like a lot. Soft, but sturdy. Wide enough to be effective, no marks/bling/hardware. Just a nice, unassuming workingman's strap at a reasonable price. They come in a lotta colors/combinations, so be sure to look around. Musician's Fiend carries a pretty wide selection of them.

A while back I treated myself to one of these.
K2Qv3JE.jpg

Like Bagman's, it's a Levys, only marking is an embossing at the strap button. Wasn't cheap, but I had a gift card.

Been thinking of getting another, and looking at Walker & Williams:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H45XNKS?psc=1
Look nice and certainly a lot less scratch.

I've got a few from Jeri Hart, they're without a doubt the finest guitar straps I've owned. Exceptional quality and as design goes you can get them as austere or extravagant as you please. She's proud of them, though...

http://www.jeridesigns.com/onlineguitarstrapshart.htm

I like the bandolier straps...

bandolierguitarstrap3inch_000.jpg

She admits they're heavy, but doesn't give a weight. All that copper, lead and brass - I'm guessing they're about eleventy bajillion pounds.

Cagey said:

Those are unquestionably cool. However I think that one would have to have a certain air about one's self to really pull it off. I don't really have any of that kind of air.  :laughing7:

Steve_Karl said:
Has anyone found a great unbranded and no metal attachments strap maker with a better price?

Sorry, I kind of neglected the "better price" part of that. My link really doesn't qualify...

Verne Bunsen said:
Cagey said:

Those are unquestionably cool. However I think that one would have to have a certain air about one's self to really pull it off. I don't really have any of that kind of air.  :laughing7:

Hehe! Yeah, neither do I. That's more of a Zakk Wylde sort of thing.

Kevin, must take a hell of a strap to lug around that Vulcan in your avatar!  :icon_jokercolor:

It's not a Vulcan, it's a GE M134. Vulcans weigh close to 300 pounds without ammo. The M134 is 85 pounds. But yeah, you need a sturdy strap :laughing7:

Cagey said:
It's not a Vulcan, it's a GE M134. Vulcans weigh close to 300 pounds without ammo. The M134 is 85 pounds. But yeah, you need a sturdy strap :laughing7:
Damn, that bore sure looks big to be 07.62mm, that's why I thought it might be the M61. But thinking about it, a Vulcan is around 6' long, and as you said: REALLY heavy!

In any event, I wouldn't want to get into a piss'n contest with anyone bad enough to carry either one!
:laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing7:

The picture makes the gun look bigger than it is. But, yeah. At up to 6000 rounds per minute, it's a frightening thing. They say in Vietnam they didn't even need to hit anybody with it - when the enemy heard it operating, they ran like hell :laughing7:

Of course, we need the magic of Hollywood to appreciate its operation as a hand-held. For him to have fired the thing as much as he did in that movie, they'd have needed a truck or another platoon following them close behind to hump all the batteries and ammo.

+1 on Levy's.  I've got two, with Dunlop straplocks on them.  Tight fit, but doable.  Nice quality and comfortable.  Got them off amazon.  I've got the 3-1/2 inch one.

Every strap I've ever had since they invented straplocks has had to have surgery on the straphanger cutouts. They have to make those holes small for those who want to use their fancy new strap with vintage hanger pegs. Otherwise, they'd probably never drop the instrument and break its neck. Wouldn't want to miss out on that.

Cagey said:
Every strap I've ever had since they invented straplocks has had to have surgery on the straphanger cutouts. They have to make those holes small for those who want to use their fancy new strap with vintage hanger pegs. Otherwise, they'd probably never drop the instrument and break its neck. Wouldn't want to miss out on that.
Huh.  I didn't need to alter anything on these, other than to make the strap longer by adjustment.  It's thicker than many, but I was able to get it all to work nicely.

71fJfRmsvtS._SL1291_.jpg

+1 on Levy's, but this is more my style:

45_zoom.jpg

Got one of theirs, another by a different maker I forgot. The first one I ever had was one a friend gave me from his ’65 Jazz bass, back in a day when "vintage" instruments were still just called "used."

:icon_jokercolor:

Back