Best Album Runs of All TIme?

although I dig a lot of "Flying In A Blue Dream" - when Joe starts to sing I'm hitting the skip button. Guitar god yes, singer no.

Satrian, Vai, Eric Johnson.... Leo Kottke was one of the greatest fingerstyle acoustic guitarists ever, and he actually had to have it put in his contracts that he be allowed to sing whenever he wanted - he "sings" like a frog. Otherwise, he'd turn in his tapes, and the record company would only release his instrumentals...  :toothy12: He's tanked his own record sales, who can afford to buy a CD that's half crap these days? I just listen to the old stuff that the record company "fixed". :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:

I love the first third and last quarter of Eric Johnson's Bloom, it'd be a great CD - without the words.... same with Vai's Fire Garden Suite, just shut it off after the first half. I can't include Eric Johnson on a list like this because he insists on writing ten-year-old-girl pop songs and then singing them like a ten-year-old girl. And alternate that with dragon-killing firebreathing killer guitar instrumentals, go figure. :icon_scratch:

I don't really mind Johnson's singing on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4mci2SX7LE

Ok let me give this a stab....

Of course the Grateful Dead (I know they were not regarded as a good studio band but you gotta listen to the stuff to see the progression live)

I would start their run at Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel, Blues for Allah, Terrapin Station, Shakedown Street, Go to Heaven, In the Dark, Built to Last.  Their first couple of albums I don't think are nearly as good as what I listed, I think they were still getting the hang of it so to speak

Queen.  All of their studio stuff is superb in my opinion.  They made a switch to a more 'pop' sound in the early 80's which history says killed their fan base in the USA, but they are still pretty popular in the UK from what I understand.  I'm glad to see Brian and Roger going out and touring with Paul Rogers.  I missed the opportunity to see them in Pittsburgh in 06 I found out the day after the show they played to a whole 4500 people in the Mellon Arena (where the Penguins play) I doubt they will ever tour the US again, it seems like us Yanks have lost quite a bit of interest in this grand old band since Freddie died unless it is declare that "We are the Champions" or that "We Will Rock You" (stomp, stomp, clap)

Pink Floyd.  Meddle, The Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall.  Enough said about the Floyd here RIP Rick Wright How I wish you were here

The Beatles from Rubber Soul onwards.

I don't know all the album names, but the Steve Miller Band had an awesome run in the 70's Don't know if I would say best of all time but pretty damn good

Johnny Cash, the man in black's career needs no explaination.

Eric Clapton had a good run too.

The Dave Matthews Band.  Some people love his music, some people hate it.  I happen to love it.  Under the Table and Dreaming, Crash, Before These Crowded Streets, Everyday (to a lesser extent) and the bootleg Lillywhite sessions which was later released as Busted Stuff.

Someone mentioned Phish.  That is one band I cannot stand.  I don't care how high you get I still think their music sucks.  I have seen them twice, once not knowing anything about them and a second time with free tickets from a buddy to convince me that they were all that and a bag of Lays.  I even took a bunch of LSD at the second show to try to get into the groove and nope.  Phuck Fish.  They were just at the right place at the right time of Rock & Roll history, Jerry had died and the younger Deadheads were hungry for a scene.  The older Deadheads kind of got it and went and eventually got straight (or not so straight) gigs, but the kids that are my age were looking for a "tour" basically so they had a way to eat a bunch of exstacy and get the good ganja.  So Tray (mis-spelled for a reason) and his sh*tty band capatalized on the opportunity.  Then when they quit Widespread Panic was there to take their shoes.  Those 'scenes' turned into a free marketplace for drug addicts and the DEA to bust the drug addicts.  Most of the people I know that got wrapped up in heroin had something to do with the fish or WP scene.  It seems like the real deadheads understood that what they loved was gone.  An old former friend said once to me as the mushrooms were coming on real strong before an Allman Brothers show that "The drugs don't make the music sound better, the music makes the drugs work better!!"  Pretty true statement.  I know, I know off the subject of albums, but I thought my tangent would be some interesting reading......And again PHUCK FISH

theklanch said:
Someone mentioned Phish.  That is one band I cannot stand.  I don't care how high you get I still think their music sucks.  I have seen them twice, once not knowing anything about them and a second time with free tickets from a buddy to convince me that they were all that and a bag of Lays.  I even took a bunch of LSD at the second show to try to get into the groove and nope.  Phuck Fish.  They were just at the right place at the right time of Rock & Roll history, Jerry had died and the younger Deadheads were hungry for a scene.  The older Deadheads kind of got it and went and eventually got straight (or not so straight) gigs, but the kids that are my age were looking for a "tour" basically so they had a way to eat a bunch of exstacy and get the good ganja.  So Tray (mis-spelled for a reason) and his sh*tty band capatalized on the opportunity.  Then when they quit Widespread Panic was there to take their shoes.  Those 'scenes' turned into a free marketplace for drug addicts and the DEA to bust the drug addicts.  Most of the people I know that got wrapped up in heroin had something to do with the fish or WP scene.  It seems like the real deadheads understood that what they loved was gone.  An old former friend said once to me as the mushrooms were coming on real strong before an Allman Brothers show that "The drugs don't make the music sound better, the music makes the drugs work better!!"  Pretty true statement.  I know, I know off the subject of albums, but I thought my tangent would be some interesting reading......And again PHUCK FISH
You are laughable.  If Phish is so bad, why waste all your time typing this expletive laden rant?    You sound like a child.    You obviously have no frame of reference, other than drugs and "the scene", to understand the musical complexity of Phish's compositional genius, improvisational dexterity, and their humor.  Just cause you aren't "in" on it...  and you also don't get "the joke", doesn't take away from their musical genius.  Phish isn't for everyone, for sure.  But if I came on here ranting that no matter how many drugs I take Miles Davis still sounds like honking trumpet noise, I would look like the arse that I was...  Or Frank Zappa for that matter.... there is a certain level of musical sophistication needed to appreciate the genius of certain musicians, and you sir, have none of that. 

Neil Stryker X said:
theklanch said:
You are laughable.   If Phish is so bad, why waste all your time typing this expletive laden rant?    You sound like a child.    You obviously have no frame of reference, other than drugs and "the scene", to understand the musical complexity of Phish's compositional genius, improvisational dexterity, and their humor.   Just cause you aren't "in" on it...  and you also don't get "the joke", doesn't take away from their musical genius.   Phish isn't for everyone, for sure.  But if I came on here ranting that no matter how many drugs I take Miles Davis still sounds like honking trumpet noise, I would look like the arse that I was...   Or Frank Zappa for that matter.... there is a certain level of musical sophistication needed to appreciate the genius of certain musicians, and you sir, have none of that.  
Ok dude sorry I hurt your Pheelings.  I just think they aren't that good.  I just don't see it.  Sorry if the scene clouded my thoughts of the band.  At a Dead show, I always felt like I belonged.  At the Fish shows I went to I didn't get the joke and I felt like I didn't belong.  That is probably because I didn't belong there.  I just think they (the band specifically) were out to make a buck on the heels of Jer's demise.  You wanna argue that?  I will all day, but please don't insult my "musical sophication."  I don't really care for Hip-techno-rap-pop-hop are you gonna tell me I don't know music because I think 50 cent's music is garbage?  I added this to my post because I know how aggressive you Fish Phans can be about you precious band.  I again am sorry if I hurt your Pheelings, but please I meant no disrespect to you, I was merely stating my utter contempt for those Phour.

One thing I will never do on a forum is personally attack someone's opinion, I am allowed to think what I want, as are you.  A while back I had a job at a local ski resort.  There was me the Deadhead, another guy who was a Fish Phan, and this other kid who was into death metal.  Ok here was the problem,  we had a CD player in the shop and we would take turns choosing music to play, some dead, some fish, and the death metal kid always complained about the dead bieng played cause his parents were Deadheads that took their little kid on tour with them and left him in the van while they got all spun up in the shows.  I never once told him his opinion of Death metal bieng the best music out there was wrong and that he had no musical appreciation.  Everyone sees the world in a different shade of color.  That is what makes bieng a human so damn interesting. 

So buddy again I am really sorry if I offended you or hurt your Pheelings with my opinion, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakuh, Happy Quanzaa, and a Jolly Festivus to you (I figured I'd list them all so I covered all bases cause I don't know what you celebrate)

Ok gotta go and be a "slave to the traffic light" cause I gotta go to the mall to "bounce around the room" and "stash the gumbo"  I sure hope my tires make contact with the road. 

I will give you this:  Fish did do an awesome Frankenstein.  OK?  No hard Pheelings man, sincerely............

Once again, truly laughable.  I can only imagine that you not fitting in had more to do with you being you, and less to do with the band.  Strange how Phish, as you say, was out to make a buck on "the heels of Jer's demise", when Phish was putting out some of their best performances and albums at the same time that the Dead was putting out their worst performances of their 30 year career.   Motivation for making a buck off Jerry's demise caused Phish to create some of their best work BEFORE Jerry even died??? (The 4 albums I listed came out in '88, '90, 92, and '93 respectfully)  Give me a '92- '95 Phish show any day over a '92- '95 Dead show. 

And for the record, I am both highly knowledgeable and an avid aficionado and lover of all things both Phish AND The Grateful Dead (most tend to be one or the other)... my two favorite bands... in addition to being a trained and educated musician.  So I'm talking about music, and great music at that, if you want to swear and curse and talk about all your drug taking and pill popping, you might want to take that over to the Phantasy Tour boards or to your mom's basement.   I thought the old comparison between Phish and the Dead stopped sometime around 1997?  Musically, there could not be two polar opposites in musical genre than those two bands.   

But this thread was about great album runs... not trashing what other people think about great album runs and making yourself look "phoolish", as you would say.    So really, no hard feeling for sure.. but thanks for the laugh.

I enjoy the Beatles and Eric Clapton. How about you, Klanch?

A B C D E Ph G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z. Just tryin' it out.

Neil man ok ok ok.  Uncle.  I just don't like their music.  Enough said.  Maybe we should start a "Best live band" thread if one isn't already here.  The only frame of reference I have on the Dead live is from 92-95 and I saw Fish in 97 and 2000 and from what I understand I guess I saw some pretty good Fish shows.  I saw them at Star-Lake Ampitheatre (outside of PGH PA now called the Post-Gazette Pavillion)    A ravenous Fish Phan I know told me that those shows were some of the best?  I dunno...  The first time I saw the Dead was in 92 at the same venue with my cousin I was 15 and still 'just said no' so I saw them with a totally straight head the first night.  I smoked pot for the first time in the lot after that show, then I smoked between sets of the second night.  Mind altering is an understatement  Then to Buckeye Lake in 94  Giants stadium in 95 (a high school graduation gift all my cousins on my mom's side are Deadheads)  and finally Three Rivers Stadium.  I was gonna go to Deer Creek but my mom wouldn't let me go that far by myself.  My dad actually offered to take me!!! I didn't think that was a very good idea at the time, now I kick myself for not doing it.  I could have seen my old man with all the kids dancing all around him.....

I still really miss Jerry though.  That is why I ordered a WGD body from warmoth......

Max yes I sure do enjoy the Beatles and EC.  Clapton is God you know.....   

I'm really sorry if my humor ruffled any Pheathers.

Ok no harm no "phoul"... man, that ph- thing is friggin annoying but anywho...  I miss Jerry too, man... Group Hug!!!!   haha. here's a pic of my garcia which is going to be my 2nd build....   now ya gotta show yours too.

Garcia-warmoth.jpg
Pau Ferro top, mahogany back... It's got a gold Gotoh 510... and all the hardware will be gold, I have my eye on a neck but I ain't sayin...

And so to bring this thread back on track I have come up with what I think is another great album run that I don't think has been mentioned yet....

CSN&(sometimes)Y...   CSN (1969), Deja Vu (1970), 4-Way Street (1971), CSN&Y (1971)

Edit:  Oh hey Max.. didja know that for Phish's first Halloween "Costume" on 10-31-94, they performed The Beatles "White Album" in it's entirety?  In following years they did The Who "Quadraphenia" (1995), The Talking Heads "Remain in Light (1996), Velvet Underground "Loaded" (1998)...  Just 2 days after the '98 Halloween show they performed  a surprise Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in its entirety also.. 

Neil the whole -ph- thing is a direct dig at my old buddy murf, he still sends text messages and spells stuff that way......

I really like the Pau Ferro, looks like Jer's cocobolo.  Mine is flame maple on a maple body.  I don't have any pictures cause warmoth is taking their good old time about getting it to me.  I was hoping it would be here for Christmas, but I really doubt it will get here by then.  If they ship it out tomorrow there might be a chance, but it isn't looking good for me.  It kinda looks like the showcase WGD with the flame maple top, but it is all maple with an ebony pinstripe between the top and body.  Lefty cause I'm backwards.  I picked out the LT67 flame maple top, I thought about the LT240 (flame-walnut stripe-quilt-walnut stripe-flame, but $220 is a little steep for a 1/8" piece of wood I think.

100% in agreement with the CSN&sometimesY album run, that is all around good music. (although I have no love for Neil Young's solo music per se, I don't like his voice)

I do have a techincal question about Phish though..... What kind of guitar does Trey play?  I never really payed that much attention to it but it does have it's own unique tone.  I'd like to look into it.  I never said I didn't like his tone, you can tell it is him playing.

I guess there is one positive note on my utter fish hatred.  Dave Matthews and Phriends.  I was at Bonnaroo in 04?  Friday night headliner was Dave and Phriends and Saturday was the Dead.  Dave & phriends played some pretty awesome covers like Rufus's Tell me Something Good, Sly and the family Stone's Thank you (for letme be micelf agin) and The Band's Up on Cripple Creek.  I thought that was pretty awesome.  Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Phish cover Bohemian Rhapsody?  I know about the white album show I have heard it and the dark side also.  I guess I shouldn't be bashing the band for the scene.  I did like the fact that they would cover some pretty obscure stuff.  I really think there is no comparison to them and the GD.

"They aren't the best at what they do, they are the only one's that do what they do" or something to that effect.......

Ahhh one more album run I'd like to mention a little newer but I just thought of it (please excuse me if I don't get them in order)  Pearl Jam.  Ten, Vs, Vitology.

Peace through music is possible till the hippies start fighting about who's message of peace is better.

".....Kid can't read at seventeen the words he knows are all obscene, but it's allright..........Oh, well a touch of grey, kinda suits you anyway.  That was all I had to say but it's allright.  I will get by.  I will survive.............We will get by, We will survive"

Xploorervoodoo, are you an aussie? i only ask because you metioned silverchair, in my experience i haven't really come across anyone from overseas who has their full list of albums (in my world, their newest album doesn't even exist  :laughing7:).

Silverchair: Frogstomp, Freak Show, Neon Ballroom, Diorama. If any of you yanks like rock ( :icon_biggrin:), give those albums a listen, one of THE best "modern" aussie bands in their hayday (grunge era). Neon Ballroom is my favourite. New album= balls. avoid at all costs.

Another Aussie band that never seems to "break" overseas is The Living End. Possibly the best live band to come out of australia besides ACDC (and they were acca daccas main support act on their last tour). download "prisoner of society", "second solution", "all torn down", "west end riot", "how do we know".

Metallica: As they are my all-time favourite band (which includes titles such as My Fav Lead Guitarist, My Fav Rhythm Guitarist, My Fav Littlemansyndrome Drummer, Coolest Bass-player ever, and not to mention My Fav Frontman/Pirate vocalist), i have to split the crowd here and say i love every single album they ever released. INCLUDING St Anger, Load/Reload, Black album (all their "sellout" albums), and i gotta explain: I'm 20 years old, and started getting into them around '98/'99, so my brain was at it's most "sponge-like" when it comes to appreciating music. So anything they did was absolute solid gold to me (and still is). I discovered Zeppelin and Incubus at about the same time, and these are my 3 favourite bands of all time. also, i don't actually download music, so i don't give a crap about the whole Napster thing, and i can live with the mixing on Death Magnetic. IMO St Anger was also a good album (i'm almost positive i will be alone on this) in it's own filthy way, and i have many memories of road-trips, surfing trips,  and camping trips listening to this album when it came out. So my love for this album is based heavily on nostalgia.

Metallica will always be the greatest band ever in my eyes. Of course, simply my own taste and opinion.

Tool: All their albums are AMAZING and usually unique. my personal 3 fav's are Aenema, Lateralus, and 10000 Days. All masterpieces.

Queens of the Stone Age: Rated R and Songs for the Deaf are amazing. Not so keen on Era Vulgaris or Lullabies... (besides a few songs), but 'R and 'Deaf are absolutely brilliant albums.

Incubus: Of course i love all their albums, but my 3 favourties would have to be S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (best mix of "porn" grooves and heavy riffs), Crow Left of the Murder, and Light Grenades. I know that alot of their stuff has a lot of pop influence, but they manage to do it with flair. And Mike Einziger is an incredibly under-rated guitarist in my eyes.

There is so much listenable music out there (once you sort through the absolute barrage of crap that's on the radio, not to mention the hordes of "trendy" bands that all sound the same), and i am pretty stoked to live in an age where so much variety is available, and stuff is still getting discovered every day. I don't like every genre out there by any means, but i do like a lot of variety. Despite the fact that all the bands i mentioned above all slide into the broad category of "rock". guess it shows where my heart lies  :evil4:

".....Kid can't read at seventeen the words he knows are all obscene, but it's allright..........Oh, well a touch of grey, kinda suits you anyway.  That was all I had to say but it's allright.  I will get by.  I will survive.............We will get by, We will survive

Really?  A "Touch of Gray" quote?  I thought even Deadheads hated that song.

Here's a good link to Trey's whole rig.... http://www.strangedesign.org/rigs/    Paul Languedoc built his customs... he was also the band's sound guy through the years too. 

rightintheface said:
Xploorervoodoo, are you an aussie? i only ask because you metioned silverchair, in my experience i haven't really come across anyone from overseas who has their full list of albums (in my world, their newest album doesn't even exist  :laughing7:).

Nope, I'm Canadian!  Been a huge Silverchair fan from the beginning, and was even a member of LAS for a year...  Silverchair, Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad, and AFI are probably my top 3 favorite bands, with Megadeth, Metallica, Pink Floyd... etc  running close behind.

I definitely agree with you about Tool, I think I listed them earlier as well.

And you're probably right about your Metallica synopsis...  For me, the best Metallica ended with ...And Justice for All, even though I do enjoy a fair amount of newer songs.

guitlouie said:
".....Kid can't read at seventeen the words he knows are all obscene, but it's allright..........Oh, well a touch of grey, kinda suits you anyway.  That was all I had to say but it's allright.  I will get by.  I will survive.............We will get by, We will survive

Really?  A "Touch of Gray" quote?  I thought even Deadheads hated that song.
:doh:
I like it.  I have a copy of it on grey vinyl with "my Brother Essau" on the B side.  I was 9 or 10 when it came out, the first Dead song I liked.  I remember going to Woolworth's and buying it off the rack and thought the grey vinyl was awesome.  I have it framed i'm sitting here looking at it right now.......  The song has a feel good vibe to it.  I loved the video too when the dog stole Mickey's leg bone. 

I'm just gonna stop talking about my musical tastes, I guess they are too weird for this forum :icon_scratch:

theklanch said:
I'm just gonna stop talking about my musical tastes, I guess they are too weird for this forum :icon_scratch:

I'm actually surprised YOU'RE getting called on your musical tastes...

I'm the one who had Bloodhound Gang listed...  :laughing7:

Xplorervoodoo said:
theklanch said:

I'm actually surprised YOU'RE getting called on your musical tastes...

I'm the one who had Bloodhound Gang listed...   :laughing7:

That's why I didn't mention my Geto Boyz and DJ Screw collections...

Back