Best Album Runs of All TIme?

Black Sabbath (Their First Album), Paranoid, Masters of Reality, and Volume IV. Not a bad song in the bunch. Everything else they did after that was ok but not quite as good.

shanejw said:
Britney Spears...Baby One More Time, Oops I did it again, Britney

You guys have no taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a sick, twisted demented b***h! (j/k)

Here are my picks:

Aerosmith:  Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rocks

Rory Gallagher:  Live in Europe, Blueprint, Tattoo, Irish Tour '74, Against the Grain, Calling Card, Photo Finish, Top Priority

AC/DC:  High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway to Hell, Back in Black, For Those About to Rock

dbw said:
I agree that "Love Me Do" is just a pop song, but "I Am the Walrus" is a good song (that happens to have stupid lyrics).

I think that was done intentionally.  Lennon got word that teachers, in order to make poetry and English more appealing to students, were using Beatles' lyrics to do poetry analysis.  He gave them something that was ambiguous and meaningless to see if they could get a greater meaning or anything "deep" out of it.....so the story goes.

I guess I'll need to set up my record player and my speakers so I can listen to Rocks.

I believe I am the Walrus was also a mix of three other songs Lennon was working on. He put them together and added some extra nonsense.

Rush:  2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals

Van Halen:  Van Halen (Debut), VH II, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down and 1984

The Cars: The Cars (Debut), Candy-O, Panorama, Shake It Up and Heartbeat City

Journey, til the split of Steve Perry.

This thread should have been . . . "The dud that flopped and ended their careers, or came damn close."

I'm sure the Stones have a long run, but I don't know them in order.  Let It Bleed is my favorite :)

I love the Stones, but they always interrupted their runs of great albums with BS live stuff, and greatest hits crap.  For instance:  Their early period goes like so....

Englands Newest Hitmakers
12x5
The Rolling Stones Now!
Decembers Children
Out Of Our Heads
Then.....
Big Hits
Got Live If You Want it..........................See?

Then

Aftermath (A personal fave)
Between TheButtons
Flowers
Their Satanic Majesties Request (Some say good, some say horrible, I think just OK)
Beggars Banquet (Duh)
Let It Bleed

Then........
Through The Past Darkly (Yet another greatest hits)

Get Your Ya Ya's out (yet another live album)

Sticky Fingers (Another pesonal Fave)
  Hot Rocks (Really, another greatest hits????)

Exile on Main Street (DUH)
Goats Head Soup

Well, you get the point.  I kind of lose interest a little at this point.  But Yeah, they had some good runs, if it weren't for all the crap.

Also as a former major metalhead supreme, I have to mention the trifecta of Kill Them All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets.  A perfect trio of the most insane metal I had heard at that point in my life, only to be isolated in their greatness by the fact that the band would go on to make some of the worst crap in all recorded history, and then sell their very souls on Capital Hill and sell the souls of all the fans who made them very rich men down the river for the most petty and egregious of reasons.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

"Also as a former major metalhead supreme, I have to mention the trifecta of Kill Them All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets."

Guitlouie, I had no idea!?! -" You and Blu313- closeted HEADBANGERS :headbang1:

I was so close to writing you off . :icon_scratch:

Alice in Chains:
Facelift
Dirt
Jar of flies

not a bad song in there

smashing pumpkins:
siamese dream
Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness
Ava Adore

3 brilliant and varied albums

Kyuss: everything they did was sweet

Deep Purple: In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head
Queen: The Works, A Kind of Magic,The Miracle,Innuendo
Yes: (already posted) +Tormato
AC/DC: .....
Alice Cooper: School's Out, Billion Dollar Babies, Muscle of Love, Welcome to My Nightmare
Faith No More: The Real Thing, Angel Dust,King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime, Album of the Year
Jeff Beck: Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, Who Else! ,You Had It Coming, Jeff
Jethro Tull: Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick
Manfred Mann's Earth Band: Nightingales and Bombers, The Roaring Silence, Watch
King Crimson: Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black
ZZ Top: Tres Hombres, Fandango!,Tejas, Degüello

Phish: Junta, Lawn Boy, Pictures of Nectar, Rift, Hoist.     

Junta alone is a masterpiece of musical genius. 

{EDIT}  And let's not forget Bob Marley... Rastaman Vibration, Exodus, Kaya, Babylon by Bus (live), Survival, Uprising, and Confrontation.

This thread is about consistency more than 'greatness'.
From the least consistent of the 'Rock Gods' you still got:

Everybody knows this is nowhere
After the goldrush
harvest

Later:

On the beach
Tonight's the night
Zuma

Still Later:

Comes a time
Rust never sleeps
Live rust

I won't say every song on those nine albums is great, or that i haven't skipped a couple on my ipod, but it beats smashing pumpkins and alice in chains, for my money.

On a different note:
REM -> Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document.
Helluva run.

Often imitated, never equaled, and extremely misunderappreciated in the US...

The Pogues -> Red Roses for Me, Rum Sodomy & the Lash, If I Should Fall from Grace with God. Every single song is great on all three albums imho.

tfarny said:
Often imitated, never equaled, and extremely misunderappreciated in the US...

The Pogues -> Red Roses for Me, Rum Sodomy & the Lash, If I Should Fall from Grace with God. Every single song is great on all three albums imho.
I must agree very much so with that!        kccch kccch kccchh!!!!!  (approx. Shane's laugh)

tfarny said:
This thread is about consistency more than 'greatness'.
From the least consistent of the 'Rock Gods' you still got:

Everybody knows this is nowhere
After the goldrush
harvest

Later:

On the beach
Tonight's the night
Zuma

Still Later:

Comes a time
Rust never sleeps
Live rust

I won't say every song on those nine albums is great, or that i haven't skipped a couple on my ipod, but it beats smashing pumpkins and alice in chains, for my money.

I never got into Neil Young till I started listening to Q107-Toronto on my computer at work during my old job. Actually that station taught me a lot about Canadian bands. I guess there's one more that I can add:

April Wine:  First Glance, Harder...Faster, Nature of the Beast, Power Play

The Canadians on the board will be happy to read that one. They were here in Green Bay a few months ago and still played with more energy after 30-some-odd years than most new bands I've seen.

Back