Best Album Runs of All TIme?

VH's first four are pretty awesome if you dig that sort of thing. Diver Down was a disappointment at the time, but 1984 is a good comeback.

I dig all of Black Sabbath's albums with Ozzy - but if you don't like some of the later ones, most would agree the first 4 or so are sweet, if you're a fan.

My favorite indie rock n' roll band Sleater-Kinney put out 6 amazing, critically acclaimed albums in row, each one better than the next, from 1996 to 2005 and then called it quits. Their rep is pretty much spotless, though most people have never head of them.

The Talking Heads had a bunch of great albums in a row didn't they?

Nick, YES!!! on godspeed you black emperor.

And thank you for putting Sigur Ros on the list, but honestly I am not a big fan of the ( ) album. I love the rest of their stuff (okay, not everything on Von either), but the kissing sausages is not an album I play. I much prefer the Hvarf/Heim live disc.

Well...

The Beatles had their first 8 albums up to and including Sgt. Peppers all very good sellers. Most artists would love just a combination of any 3 of those albums (and the royalties).
1) Please Please Me (1963)
2) With The Beatles (1963)
3) A Hard Day's Night (1964)
4) Beatles For Sale (1964)
5) Help! (1965)
6) Rubber Soul (1965)
7) Revolver (1966)
8) Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Astonishing amount of quality work in such a short space of time, but that's the way they worked back then.

Re: Pink Floyd.
I can remember when Animals came out, people were whispering about it's imminent release for months leading up to the official day. I think there's some urban myth story about the pig in the album photo slipping it's mooring on the day and flying over London (much to everyone's surprise). Because of it's hyped release, there was a bit of disappointment expressed in reviews and sales.

There's never been a party I didn't poop.  I have a few "guilty pleasure" albums that I listen to start to finish, know all of the words, and don't skip tracks.  But three consecutive CDs by a single artist/band.  Hmm, not for me, not perfect anyway.  The closest I could get would be a Christian speed metal band I used to be into.  Tourniquet's "Stop the Bleeding", "Pathogenic Occular Dissonance," and "Vanishing Lessons."  But, that's their 1st, 3rd, and 4th album.  Didn't care much for "Psycho Surgery," their second effort.  Oh well, can't help what you like.

OzziePete said:
Well...

The Beatles had their first 8 albums up to and including Sgt. Peppers all very good sellers. Most artists would love just a combination of any 3 of those albums (and the royalties).
1) Please Please Me (1963)
2) With The Beatles (1963)
3) A Hard Day's Night (1964)
4) Beatles For Sale (1964)
5) Help! (1965)
6) Rubber Soul (1965)
7) Revolver (1966)
8) Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

Astonishing amount of quality work in such a short space of time, but that's the way they worked back then.

Re: Pink Floyd.
I can remember when Animals came out, people were whispering about it's imminent release for months leading up to the official day. I think there's some urban myth story about the pig in the album photo slipping it's mooring on the day and flying over London (much to everyone's surprise). Because of it's hyped release, there was a bit of disappointment expressed in reviews and sales.

Everything prior to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is pop pablum...

stubhead said:
Here's the category: three or more PERFECT albums in a row, the albums or CD's where it would be sacrilege to even think of skipping over songs* because the whole album is, like, PERFECT:

Rolling Stones: Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street
Led Zeppelin: I, II, III, IV   (duh....)
my winner:
Steve Morse Band: Southern Steel, Coast to Coast, Structural Damage, Stressfest

There are innumerable one-offs like "Layla" and "Dark Side of the Moon", but three in a row.... I know I am isolated in thinking great, stupendous bands like the Beatles & Hendrix often shot blanks and periodically excreted turkey poop, but I could die happy never hearing "Rocky Raccoon" or "Little Miss Strange" again. :hello2:

*(Except, of course, when you need an anthemic booster re-charge) :party07:

The Cult . . . . don't know their titles ! yet

GoDrex said:
Max said:
How does Animals stack up to Floyd's other releases there?

Animals is fantastic. I highly recommend it. Dave Gilmour's playing on it is some of his best ever. Great album, often overlooked.

Animals is one of my favorite PF albums! I like it even better than Dark Side of the Moon! Also, Quadrophenia is probably in my top 3 favorite albums ever!

nathan a said:
Nick, YES!!! on godspeed you black emperor.

And thank you for putting Sigur Ros on the list, but honestly I am not a big fan of the ( ) album. I love the rest of their stuff (okay, not everything on Von either), but the kissing sausages is not an album I play. I much prefer the Hvarf/Heim live disc.

I wonder if I can get away with claiming that there are 4 GYBE albums as the vinyl of F#A# infinity is completely different to the CD version. ;)

I must admit I've not heard Von yet, it's one of those albums I want to buy but I keep getting distracted by other things. I find it surprising that you don't like ( ) though I'd rate is as one of their best releases although I will admit I don't listen to it very often as I'm scared of getting bored of it, there are quite a few albums by other bands that get similar treatment. Hvarf/Heim is an excellent release it's a pity it's not technically speaking an album as I would have included it.

Genesis:
Trespass 1970.
Nursery Crime 1971 ,
Foxtrot 1972,
Selling England By The Pound 1973,
Lamb Lies Down On Broadway 1974

Nick, you should have included Recordings in your Porcupine Tree list. Yeah, I know it's a collection of unreleased stuff but it jells as an album very well. I never skip a tune on it.

Robin Trower
Twice Removed from Yesterday 1973
Bridge Of Sighs 1974
For Earth Below 1975
Long Misty Days 1976
I dont skip a song on his newer stuff either.

Brian

If I owned recordings I'd include it, unfortunately I can't afford an original copy and the rumoured reissue doesn't seem to be surfacing.

You guys are freaking amazing. Did you possibly forget:

The Freewheeling Bob Dylan
The Times they are a'changing
Another side of Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
Highway 61 revisited
Blonde on Blonde

You might think "the times" kind of sucked but you can't deny that those last three some of the best three rock albums ever by anyone.

Styx, . . . up until Mr.Roboto! but that's when New Wave was becoming all the rage, right? :laughing8:

jackthehack said:
Everything prior to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is pop pablum...

Correct Jack. But I wouldn't call Revolver or Rubber Soul pop either.

I have some mixed feelings about those early Beatles songs. By the time I was aware of music ( I was born in 1961), the style and sound of those recordings (mostly mono  :sad:) was horribly out of date, and sounded very thin compared to the more beefier recordings that I grew up with (Stereo, larger amps, closer miking techniques, more effort in getting distortion onto tape etc.). I now realise that I have to put aside my indifference to music of that period and try to excuse the primitive (to today's standards) recording technique, and get into the tempo and melody of the song a bit more before dismissing it. The fact a lot of this Beatles music then attracted the Beatlemania hype and all that screaming, hysterical fan phenomenon also detracts from the worth of the music itself. In short, I try not to let my bias inhibit recognition of good music.

But you have to acknowledge what was being achieved in that period too. Whilst the Beatles very deliberately ventured into the pop market, the individuals of that band were quite capable of rocking it out if they wanted to. Remember, Epstein had them clean up their act when he took them over as manager - they were leather wearing scruffs before he gave them the look. Also, Britain has a better history of the pop sensation and don't denigrate the artists who try their luck in pop music, as much as folks in the States do, or here in Australia.

I have been fortunate enough to see McCartney play some of these songs from that early period.

I was quite surprised how well those earlier songs went over with a modern PA and good onstage amps and mixing. And that Hofner pumping through a 600W Mesa Engineering Bass Rig was something different to hear/feel too.

Beatles:
"Love Me Do" - no.
"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" - not my hand.
"Rocky Raccoon" - no.
"I Am the Walrus" - who cares?

After an early career of drug abuse, whoring and alcoholism in Hamburg, do you know how many of the Beatles' first 100 songs were on the subject of "Puppy Love"?

100, that's right - 100 out of 100. Just because a huge demographic bubble of 11-year-old girls grew up and became the sex partners of a huge demographic bubble of formerly 11-year-old boys, that doesn't make crap into art. :toothy12:

:hello2: :toothy10: :blob7:

I think we'll all be relieved to know that The Beatles have finally been forgiven...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081122/lf_nm_life/us_vatican_beatles;_ylt=AhJH6eAQjbHtSeNFe4LfcOt34T0D

:tard:

stubhead said:
"I Am the Walrus" - who cares?

I love that one. It's a great song if only for the line "yellow matter custard, dripping from a dead dog's eye."

As a general rule I find that people that dislike the Beatles can't be trusted. So I'll have to keep an eye on you. ;)

I agree that "Love Me Do" is just a pop song, but "I Am the Walrus" is a good song (that happens to have stupid lyrics).

Back