Best Album Runs of All TIme?

tfarny, The Pogues are one of my all time favorites.  There really is nothing like them.

tfarny said:
On a different note:
REM -> Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Document.
Helluva run.

Okay I love REM, they're one of my favorite bands, but I have some problems with this list.  First of all, wtf is "Chronic Town"?  Also, LRP is just not that great an album.  Reckoning is all right but I don't think "perfect".  But if you like them, why did you stop with Document... Green is awesome!!

Their "perfect" albums to my mind are Murmur, FotR, Document, Green, and (most importantly) Automatic for the People.  No run of 3.

Edit: I suppose if you like "Out of Time" (which I do, just not as much as the ones I listed), you could say they had a run Document-Green-Out of Time-Automatic.

Jack sez "Everything prior to Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is pop pablum..."

The guitar solo on "Nowhere Man" poops on this statement.

Chronic Town was REM's first EP.  And they stopped being interesting after Document.  Just my opinion, though.

tfarny said:
I won't say every song on those nine albums is great, or that i haven't skipped a couple on my ipod, but it beats smashing pumpkins and alice in chains, for my money.

just a question, have you ever actually listened to Alice in Chains? i find most people havn't and jst comment cos they're a 'grunge' band or because they heard one single once and it was heavy rock so they wrote them off as some sort of one trick rock band?

and as for the smashing pumpkins, well it depends if you can get over Billy's voice, most can't but the guy still knows how to write a song, he's one of the greatest song writers ever

1. REM - a polarizing band. I really like LRP, it's got some of my favorite songs of theirs. True, it's kind of a 'tweener' album because it straddles an underground sensibility and the mainstream band they were becoming. I think it wears well. Reckoning is a great, great album. You're right that "automatic" is their best, but not part of a three in a row. "Green" was the first album that included really lame pop songs like "stand" and so, even though it's got a few of their best songs, I can't say it's a great album. Just an opinion, of course. It's really sad that they've sucked so hard for so many years now.

2. Other Pogues fans! Great stuff.

3. Uh, all I said was that I prefer Neil Young's best work to Alice in Chains or Smashing Pumpkins (yes I've heard them, I turned 21 in 1992. That's the music I grew up around and I have a bunch of those albums still). I don't think I'm alone here. Billy Corgan makes Neil Young sound like freaking Luciano Pavarotti. Highly recommend that you at least give "Decade" or the new "live at Massey Hall 1971" a listen if you never have.

Just My Opinion!

gnome said:
and as for the smashing pumpkins, well it depends if you can get over Billy's voice, most can't but the guy still knows how to write a song, he's one of the greatest song writers ever
:doh: that's not my opinion...

Another one that I am ashamed for forgetting...

All the King James albums while he lived.

"I Don't Live Today" is one of the hairiest blues songs ever written.

"The Wind Cries Mary" is just, well...perfection.

"Angel" reminds me of why I have all these slabs of wood laying aroung the house.

Rich

the scorpions: taken by force, lovedrive, blackout, love at first sting.

Queen: sheer heart attack, night at the opera, day at the races, news of the world

UFO: phenomenon *up until strangers in the night*. I believe that row contains 'no heavy petting', 'obsession', 'lights out', 'Force It'

"Angel" reminds me of why I have all these slabs of wood laying around the house.

I actually thought "The Cry of Love" was his best album - the tracks were finished, he just hadn't put them in an order before he died. I wish I didn't have to program my CD player to skip over "Dolly Dagger" and all that when I'm listening to the "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" re-packaging... when you mention "Angel" and "Ezy Ryder", "Night Bird Flying" and "Astro Man" as being among his best, most people bog over. I hate "Purple Haze" & "Foxy Lady" (so did he :dontknow:).

Spinal Tap:

This Is Spinal Tap, Break Like The Wind, and a yet-to-be-announced-triple-platinum-jazz-odyssey-excursion-extravaganza.

How about, "Born Under a Bad Sign" plus whatever came before it and whatever came after it.  :laughing7:

OK, OK... just trying to reach for something that ain't been hit yet.

BTW, one reason that all Beatles before Sgt Pepper was pop is that, all everything before Sgt Pepper was pop.  :glasses10:

Is the Pogues thing some inside joke I somehow managed to missed? I just sampled their top 10 downloads on Amazon MP3 store and they sound like Drunken Irish Pogues?  :icon_scratch:

jackthehack said:
Is the Pogues thing some inside joke I somehow managed to missed? I just sampled their top 10 downloads on Amazon MP3 store and they sound like Drunken Irish Pogues?  :icon_scratch:
You are correct, sir!    haha..  maybe it's an irish thing.  Bob Dylan commented that Shane MacGowan was one of the greatest songwriters of all time.  They are such an iconic band for Irish music, melding punk and rock with traditional Irish in original songs which fit in with the best Irish folk songs of all time.  And Shane's quite the good looking devil, as well.    As an Irish musician myself, I can't express strongly enough how important the Pogues have been for the genre....  taking it from your grandmother's music into a viable modern living form. 

Find the song "The Sick Bed Of Cuchulain".  If you don't get it after hearing that, well, you probably just won't get it.

Neil Stryker X said:
jackthehack said:
You are correct, sir!    haha..   maybe it's an irish thing.   Bob Dylan commented that Shane MacGowan was one of the greatest songwriters of all time.  They are such an iconic band for Irish music, melding punk and rock with traditional Irish in original songs which fit in with the best Irish folk songs of all time.   And Shane's quite the good looking devil, as well.    As an Irish musician myself, I can't express strongly enough how important the Pogues have been for the genre....  taking it from your grandmother's music into a viable modern living form.   

Fairytale of New York always brings me in a christmassy mood! very popular song on irish radio..
good songwriting too, this is my favorite verse:

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last 

I've found that people that dig the Pouges also tend to like Tom Waits. Anyone else notice this or am I just nuts here hehehe ;)

Speaking of album runs, he's had quite a few great albums. Surely he could be included?

Tom Waits is awesome. Jack, check out the song "The Old Main Drag," or "Thousands are Sailing" if you're in a more serious mood, and give the lyrics a good listen. Better, just buy one of those albums. Not a joke at all (though often very funny). Bands like Flogging Molly have made whole careers aping these guys.

I wouldn't skip songs from:
JOY DIVISION:
everything
COSMIC PSYCHOS: Down On The Farm, Cosmic Psychos, Go The Hack, Slave To The Crave: Live At The Palace Melbourne.
SLAYER: Live Undead, Reign In Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in The Abyss.
METALLICA: Kill Em All, Ride The Lighting, Master Of Puppets, Garage Days, And Justice For All.
FAITH NO MORE: everything
AFRO CELT SOUND SYSTEM: Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3.
SUICIDAL TENDENCIES: How Will I Laugh Tomorrow When I Can't Even Smile Today, Controlled by Hatred/Feel Like Shit...Déjà Vu, Lights...Camera...Revolution, The Art of Rebellion
D.R.I.: Dirty Rotten Impeciles, Dealing With It, Crossover, Four Of A Kind.
BAD RELIGION: Suffer, No Control, Against The Grain, Generator, Recipe For Hate.
DEAD KENNEDYS: everything
RAMONES: almost everything
WIPERS: Is This Real, Alien Boy, Youth Of America, Over The Edge
CINEMATIC ORCHESTRA: everything
ERIK TRUFFAZ: everything
JOE SATRIANI: Surfing With The Alien, Crash Of Love, Flying In A Blue Dream, The Extremist.
SRV & DOUBLE TROUBLE: everything
MOTORHEAD: Overkill, Bomber, Ace Of Spades, No Sleep Til Hammersmith.
IRON MAIDEN: Iron Maiden, Killers, Number Of the Beast.
ACCEPT: I'm A Rebel, Breaker, Restless And Wild, Balls to The Wall, Metal Heart.
SONIC YOUTH: Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, Dirty.

Floyd, Beck, Kyuss, Zep, Sabbath, Hendrix have already mentioned.

Back