BEER!

Wana_make_a_guitar

Senior member
Messages
2,793
Of the brewed ginger type!  :icon_biggrin:


I'm not old enough for real beer, so I directed my interests for non-alcoholic brewed substances to Ginger Beer. I recently discovered the Cascade Ginger Beer, from Tasmania. It's good. It's only been a week and i've demolished 3 four packs of it!


You guys had any good Ginger Beer?
 

JohninSC

Senior member
Messages
124
Meh, I dont understand all the hype in drinking urine :icon_scratch:
By the way, I'm 23, so I dont want to hear anyone saying its only because I'm not old enough to try it
 

ocguy106

Senior member
Messages
731
JohninSC said:
Meh, I dont understand all the hype in drinking urine :icon_scratch:
By the way, I'm 23, so I dont want to hear anyone saying its only because I'm not old enough to try it

It's cause you are not old enough to appreciate it!!!
 
O

OzziePete

Guest
Never have liked the taste of ginger beer, but I'm told by those who do, that the Cascade Ginger Beer is pretty good.

Must be made next door to the beer brewery of the same name. In fact the bottle looks quite similar, IIRC.

Being a bus driver, drinking beer on the job is big NO NO. A few of my workmates take great delight in buying the Cascade because of the bottle's similarity to the beer product, boy does it get worried second looks by the depot management! (I think they love giving our Operations Supervisor minor heart attacks  :laughing7: )

As for the real stuff, I have drank quite, no correction, A LOT of the stuff over the years.

Been a light drinker for probably the last 15 or so years as the jobs I have been doing in that time have been shift work, and nothings messes up the body clock more than 'turping' it on after work, then having to front up the next shift.

I recently had a dry run of nearly 2 years, only broken because I was at a World Cup qualifier for the Socceroos in Sydney, and wanted to celebrate the occasion by having a scotch (my spirit of choice). But that's the only drink I have had for 2 years.

As for Ginger Beer, I don't think I have drank any of that stuff for quite a while....possibly years.

I suppose now the thought is in my head, I may wander onto the next bus I drive, with a Cascade (Ginger Beer) in hand and watch the passengers reach for their mobile phones and dial the cops!  :headbang1:
 

taez555

Senior member
Messages
628
Never had australian ginger beer.   I suppose with something like that it's all very regional.    My personal preference for ginger beer is something really spicy.  I find that most are too mellow, basically ginger ale with a mild kick, rather than an ass kicking, in your face, ginger burn.

:)

Dark and Stormy.  
 

hannaugh

Senior member
Messages
4,230
JohninSC said:
Meh, I dont understand all the hype in drinking urine :icon_scratch:
By the way, I'm 23, so I dont want to hear anyone saying its only because I'm not old enough to try it

It's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it, you'll never look back.  I love beer.


I also love ginger beer though.  I like Reed's if I'm in the mood for spicy, and if I want something more mellow I drink Bundaberg.  A bunch of my high school students are addicted to Canada Dry, which is like sugar water.  It tastes okay, but after having the real stuff where you can actually tast the ginger, I would never buy it unless I was making Shirley Temples or something. 

If you want something else that is amazing and not alcoholic, see if you can find Virgil's Rootbeer.  It comes in mini kegs, and it is really really good.  You can taste all the different spices they use in it rather than it just being sugar water. 

virgils-keg.jpg
 

JohninSC

Senior member
Messages
124
It's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it, you'll never look back.  I love beer.

See, thats what i dont get, why waste the time and money acquiring it? I'll just stick to my sodas, where I can have all I want, whether I'm at work (school teacher) or not.
 

hannaugh

Senior member
Messages
4,230
JohninSC said:
It's an acquired taste, but once you've acquired it, you'll never look back.  I love beer.

See, thats what i dont get, why waste the time and money acquiring it? I'll just stick to my sodas, where I can have all I want, whether I'm at work (school teacher) or not.

You take the time to develop it for the same reason you take the time to learn guitar, because the rewards are great to those who take some effort to try new things and learn to appreciate them.  I would place my ear training in the same category as training my pallate to identify all the complex flavors that can be found in a good beer.  When I started drinking beer, I thought it was okay, but since I have developed my taste buds, I get a lot of enjoyment out of trying new brews and I can find many different notes within one drink.  It's like listening to a great classical recording and noticing all the subtle differences in what the instruments are doing in the arrangement. 

Plus, sodas are terrible for you, whereas many beers are good for you (in moderation).  Beer is the ultimate relaxation drink, and it won't keep you up all night like that caffeinated crap.  And if you have friends who are really into beer, you can have beer tasting nights, which are really fun.  No one does that with Pepsi.  And the fact that I can't drink it all the time makes it more special to me.  I will reward myself for a hard day's work with a cold beer... it's wonderful.  I don't drink it every day, I have maybe one or two a week.  But I love it.  Beer is wonderful. 
 

Wana_make_a_guitar

Senior member
Messages
2,793
tallman said:
just get someone's older brother to buy you the real deal
I could get my sister to buy it for me in a few days, she turns 18 then. (But I wouldn't do that :icon_biggrin:)

Actually, a few times I have bought drinks at a bar for my sister. Because I am really tall, have long hair and don't have pimples, I guess I look a bit older than 14.  :laughing7:
 

Wana_make_a_guitar

Senior member
Messages
2,793
OzziePete said:
Never have liked the taste of ginger beer, but I'm told by those who do, that the Cascade Ginger Beer is pretty good.

Must be made next door to the beer brewery of the same name. In fact the bottle looks quite similar, IIRC.

Being a bus driver, drinking beer on the job is big NO NO. A few of my workmates take great delight in buying the Cascade because of the bottle's similarity to the beer product, boy does it get worried second looks by the depot management! (I think they love giving our Operations Supervisor minor heart attacks  :laughing7: )

As for the real stuff, I have drank quite, no correction, A LOT of the stuff over the years.

Been a light drinker for probably the last 15 or so years as the jobs I have been doing in that time have been shift work, and nothings messes up the body clock more than 'turping' it on after work, then having to front up the next shift.

I recently had a dry run of nearly 2 years, only broken because I was at a World Cup qualifier for the Socceroos in Sydney, and wanted to celebrate the occasion by having a scotch (my spirit of choice). But that's the only drink I have had for 2 years.

As for Ginger Beer, I don't think I have drank any of that stuff for quite a while....possibly years.

I suppose now the thought is in my head, I may wander onto the next bus I drive, with a Cascade (Ginger Beer) in hand and watch the passengers reach for their mobile phones and dial the cops!  :headbang1:
It is funny when my friends come over and than I walk out of the kitchen drinking out of a bottle that looks like a beer bottle. Their faces are funny looking when I do that.

The Cascade ginger beer is really good, it's even got floaty bits of ginger in it, so you know it's real. Though it does say it has some preservatives in it.
 

Wana_make_a_guitar

Senior member
Messages
2,793
taez555 said:
Never had australian ginger beer.  I suppose with something like that it's all very regional.    My personal preference for ginger beer is something really spicy.  I find that most are too mellow, basically ginger ale with a mild kick, rather than an ass kicking, in your face, ginger burn.

:)

Dark and Stormy. 
The cascade ginger beer is spicy between moderate heat and a kick in the face heat. Starts out good, but if you drink it too fast, or without ice, it gets a bit burn-y.
 

NonsenseTele

Senior member
Messages
8,256
Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
tallman said:
just get someone's older brother to buy you the real deal
I could get my sister to buy it for me in a few days, she turns 18 then. (But I wouldn't do that :icon_biggrin:)

Actually, a few times I have bought drinks at a bar for my sister. Because I am really tall, have long hair and don't have pimples, I guess I look a bit older than 14.  :laughing7:

I buy beers since 12 or 13yo... But I live in Brazil :laughing7:
My first big drunk time was at 14 :toothy12:
 

neuftone

Senior member
Messages
110
I've brewed the stuff for years.

I've done several genuine ginger beers, too...ie., beer brewed with ginger.  Pretty refreshing.  A ginger porter recipe of mine is one of my favorite dark beers.

Regarding developing a taste for it, beer encompasses a very wide swathe of beverages.  I'm not terribly keen on the American macro-lager style that people generally think of when someone says either "beer" or "urine", but I understand why folks enjoy it.  I wouldn't judge "beer" as a whole with that as a standard to judge by.  Try a pint of English bitter, an American IPA, a German hefeweizen or doppelbock, a Belgian trappist tripel, a Czech pilsener, etc etc etc.  There are hundreds of distinct styles out there.

But don't force yourself to enjoy it.  Soda is cheaper (albeit packed with sugar). 
 

Steiger

Active member
Messages
86
Wana,

Give Saxby's Ginger Beer a go, I like it more than Cascade and I think it's cheaper too.

Bundy's ginger beer is a little softer, but you have to read the labe 'invert bottle before drinking'  to get any real taste out of it.


My only advice for you Wana is that when you're old enough to drink alcoholic beer, don't drink it as quickly as you drink the ginger beer variety!

 

Wana_make_a_guitar

Senior member
Messages
2,793
Steiger said:
Wana,

Give Saxby's Ginger Beer a go, I like it more than Cascade and I think it's cheaper too.

Bundy's ginger beer is a little softer, but you have to read the labe 'invert bottle before drinking'  to get any real taste out of it.


My only advice for you Wana is that when you're old enough to drink alcoholic beer, don't drink it as quickly as you drink the ginger beer variety!
I'll see if they have it in the bottleshop where the cascade is.

And yes, when I'm l'm enough I will not drink real beer as fast as I drink the ginger beer, or i'd probably need more livers.
 
Top