Beauty that can never be.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
ErogenousJones said:
I agree. Steve Vai has chops to burn, but he is a terrible musician.

Different strokes I guess.  He's made a great career out of being a "terrible musician."

yeah, its so unfair that millions of fans are not worshipping the almighty erogenous jones

ErogenousJones said:
It goes to show that talent and ability don't equal taste.

Word.

+1.  I get bored of  guys like this very very fast.  They are very very very good technicians - but that does not equal musician.

Mark O said:
ErogenousJones said:

Different strokes I guess.  He's made a great career out of being a "terrible musician."

yeah, its so unfair that millions of fans are not worshipping the almighty erogenous jones

Dude, relax. I never said I was better than him. He has got monster chops - no question there - but to me Vai's playing tends to sound like noise. Didn't know you were so protective.

mayfly said:
ErogenousJones said:
It goes to show that talent and ability don't equal taste.

Word.

+1.  I get bored of  guys like this very very fast.  They are very very very good technicians - but that does not equal musician.

I don't think Steve Vai is a great example for this. I really like steve vai, but not because he is just technical and fast. he played so many different styles, Rock, Metal, Punk, experimental and you will still know its him!

ErogenousJones said:
Mark O said:
ErogenousJones said:

Dude, relax. I never said I was better than him. He has got monster chops - no question there - but to me Vai's playing tends to sound like noise. Didn't know you were so protective.

No worries, I am only joking... and in a bit of a sarcastic mood :)

the thing that does bother me though, is when I hear: (about any guitarist)

- yeah he's fast, but he is really a one-trick pony...(these people are usually SRV fans :))
- he is very technical, but where's the emotion

anyway, no offence meant in this case, just joking around.

Mark O said:
ErogenousJones said:
Mark O said:
ErogenousJones said:

Different strokes I guess.  He's made a great career out of being a "terrible musician."

No worries, I am only joking... and in a bit of a sarcastic mood :)

the thing that does bother me though, is when I hear: (about any guitarist)

- yeah he's fast, but he is really a one-trick pony...(these people are usually SRV fans :))
- he is very technical, but where's the emotion

anyway, no offence meant in this case, just joking around.

Alright, no worries.

I've never been of the opinion that technicality and feeling are mutually exclusive. Speed is definitely another tool for expression, but like any tool, it can be overused. I'm looking at you, swarms of noisy youtube shredders!  :laughing7:
Here's one of my favourite guitarist gripes though: "Hendrix? Pff. It's all feedback and wah noise anyway."

this can't be embeded.. but this is greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ylmUzNSPA

click the watch on youtube bit.

(I'm a big fan of Paul Gilbert)

Back