Bass Tuners

S

swarfrat

Looking for a set of low ratio bass tuners. It's actually for a u-bass,with crazy stretch strings, and the low ratio just makes life miserable.  Also - it appears that the only source of u-bass tuners is what is available via Largesound / Kala. The tuners on my Hadean are giving me fits - jamming up and destroying the worm gear. It appears that I can take the large diameter post and gear and perhaps use it on another tuner, so I'm looking for something robust with as low a gearing ratio as possible.

I've got another u-bass build in mind, so if I can find a donor set under $40 that'd be awesome, as for that bass I'd still need to get the Large Sound tuners for their posts (or make some out of aluminum stock on the lathe - just the post don't look too bad. I can turn, but can't mill currently.)

Does anyone have experience with the Wilkinson WJB-750, or the WJBR-200's?  I know that the large post on the Largesounds lowers the ratio, but does anyone know of another open tuner amenable to modding with a high quality worm?

For the existing bass I need a 2+2 set. For the build I have options, but I'm thinking a 3+2 5 string u-bass.

There are two U-bass tuning machine sets shown here at USD$32 and $39, but the ratio is not disclosed:

https://www.largesound.com/buy/index.php/categories/parts

Yeah, that's the ones I was referring to. Pretty sure that's what I have already.

Back