Bass through guitar amp

spauldingrules

I have the 5 watt Epiphone valve junior head/cab tube amp, and a Vox AD50 50 watt tube preamp amp.  Is it okay to play bass through these?  At what volume?  And what will be damaged and under what cirumstances (speaker, amp?)  Should I get a separate cab for the Epi Head?  The Vox also has a cab out jack.

Thanks!  I've been using my V-AMP direct to record demos, but my bass player wants to come over and work on songs and doesn't want to lug his rig.

from what i have heard, the amp is fine as is, just get a bass cab, or put a bass speaker in an existing cab, so you don't blow the speaker

Dual 6L6 50w Bassmans have been playing through 2x12 for about 56 years with no ill effects, I don't think you need to worry about it...

Similarly, can I play bass through a 300W Carvin solid-state head with my Mesa 4x12?

Use your noggin.  When the speakers fart out, back off.  There's no problemo on the head.  Its the speaks.  If they start to quiver - and some do at really low volume cuz they just cant take it - back off.

My Deluxe Reverb (68) handles bass ok, at almost gigging volume.  My Bandmaster, no problem... gimme bass! Twin Reverb... no problem.  My "bass rig" is a Showman (not dual) with a single 15 guitar speaker in its custom combo cabinet.

Back