Bass Question

guitarhobbyist

Hey all, bass question here.  :redflag: Anyone know the quality of pick ups that Ibanez uses on their cheaper basses. I've been asked to play bass lately and thought of upgrading them to maybe some EMG-P's. I know it couldn't hurt, but they do run about $100. Any thoughts or suggestions?

That's a really broad question.  They certainly won't be the most expensive pickups around.  Which model or models do you refer to?

The bigger question is tonality.  Do they sound bad to your ears?  If so, in what way?  What style(s) of music are you playing and why did you select an EMG P?

-Eric.

Eric is correct, it really depends on your goals. Many moons ago I did replace the electronics in an Ibanez soundgear with an EMG PJ set. I was pleased with the hot output and big tone overall. I was playing alternative rock in a 3-piece where I had to do a lot of melodic playing and it really helped the bass cut through. If you like the tone of an EMG equipped bass it's probably a decent idea.

One thing to consider: is your bass currently active or passive? EMG pickups are all active, so they will require a battery whether you have an active preamp or not. If your bass is currently passive I might sooner recommend a Nordstrand replacement P.

I really don't like the pickups that come in the cheap Ibanez's.  I always have both pickups (P and J) on all the way to get the shadow of a decent tone.  By themselves, they're just too thin, and when you add mids, they just get muddy sounding.  Really disgusting if you ask me.  I hope to build a Warmoth Bass with my tax refund this year and pop some Dimarzios in it.  I'm thinking Ultra Jazz's in both positions.  I don't want active electronics, just easy to shape tone in a Jazz Bass. 

What say the peanut gallery?

Not all EMGs are active. I used to have a squier p-bass that had a passive P style EMG pickup installed by the previous owner. I thought it sounded good, but I never tried any other pickups in it.

CD said:
Not all EMGs are active. I used to have a squier p-bass that had a passive P style EMG pickup installed by the previous owner. I thought it sounded good, but I never tried any other pickups in it.

True. The EMG-HZ pickups are passive, I just wasn't really thinking about those. They started out IIRC as an OEM product in spector basses, but they started selling a full line of passives. I guess that I tend to associate EMG more with their flagship active pickups with internal preamp circuits; that seems to be how they really made their name.

True. First thing I think of are the active pickups, but I figured I might as well add the passive pickups comment for those who don't know about 'em.

Back