Bareknuckle Pickups

joems

Anyone tried these? I just got these today a Nailbomb and a Painkiller. My order might be shipped out this Monday or tomorrow (thanks to Dan!). So I'm wondering with pups like these that have a HI DC resistance I'll use a 500k pot's for  the VOL and the 2 tones. with the caps I'll use .0047 uF.I'm also considering using a .068 uF capacitor, since Walnut is on the bright sound I was thinking getting this value of a capacitor would tame the brightness (or not). A  5 way selector  switch will be used . Should I use a 25 or lower gauge wiring?

and oh before I forget I'll be using the same set up as my Mocking-Strat set-up H/H/H The middle pup is a Torres Rock Humbucker (2 Conductor).

thanks for responding guys!!

22 gauge is the standard for non shielded wiring while, 28 gauge for shielded, you don't state the dc resistance, but unless there is something special about those pickups that is out of the ordinary thats the gauges most typically used, keep in mind those are the basic rules, but people break em as they see fit....
I would wire everything as the manufacturer specifies according to thier diagrams , and then change values of things like caps after you've experienced the pickups as they suggest, they know how the pickups sound best as they built em, at least how most people prefer em, again everyones ears are different, but that would be the most efficient trouble free way to wire em up.....and likely the way they'll stay as I don't think your guitar is gonna be overly bright, at least not in a way that your gonna feel a need to mess with caps and such..... :)

O.K. I checked em out .....no sweat those gauges should be fine for wiring, those look like Cool pickups, I would be personally interested to hear your take on em after you play on em a bit.....My Muy Grande Humbucker is 16K as well as Alnico 5 as is your Nailbomb so they should be similar in alot of ways......I like the way those look as well...lots of options.....later

Guys were going nuts for them on the zakk wylde forum a while back. I've always read great reviews about them, but never tried them myself. I'm anxious to hear yours.

I've got a Nailbomb in a Charvel and it's great. It's very open sounding for a high output pickup, with an upper mid push that's perfect for leads and it responds well to your picking. It works very well clean as well, I hope you enjoy it.  :eek:ccasion14:

I just visited Bareknuckles web site.

2 things bugged me while i was poking arround.  1) they wind pickups by hand? No way, that's insane, I make my own pickups, can't imagine doing it by hand.
                                                                      2) they refer to the "capacitance" of the coil, I know in the most scientific terms, wire, or anything conductive has a capacitance value. But  a coil of wire is an inductor, the value is in inductance ,refered to as henrys.

I know it's a small thing to whine about, I just wish they would impress me with their pups and not with improper use of electronic terms.

John

Supposedly they really do wind them by hand. They are quite expensive.

Alfang said:
I just visited Bareknuckles web site.

2 things bugged me while i was poking arround.  1) they wind pickups by hand? No way, that's insane, I make my own pickups, can't imagine doing it by hand.
                                                                      2) they refer to the "capacitance" of the coil, I know in the most scientific terms, wire, or anything conductive has a capacitance value. But  a coil of wire is an inductor, the value is in inductance ,refered to as henrys.

I know it's a small thing to whine about, I just wish they would impress me with their pups and not with improper use of electronic terms.

John

I'm afraid I don't know much about science of pickups other than the basic principles, but if it's sounds you want check out the sound samples on the forum. Most are done by amateurs with bedroom recording equipment but at least that's a pretty stern test of sound quality. The Steve Stevens demo is insane though.

Hey Ginga, why did you post a quote from me?  Then start a new subject, seemingly unrelated to anything I said?

Just curious.....John

Sorry Alfang, I was trying to be reply to you by saying I can't explain why BKP quote DC ratings rather than Inductance but that if you wanted to be impressed by the pups maybe the sound samples would help. I apologise if this was misunderstood or unwelcome.

Ok, I was confused, i get it now, I just didn't know where you were going.  And I agree, you can look at all the specs and numbers all you want. It's always best to hear or even play the pickups yourself.

I will add this though, I have been to many sights and listened to a lot of pickups,  besides the difference between clean and dirty, they almost all sound the same. They all sound good through a good amp and pedals and with a good player.

I have purchased pickups based on what I have heard or read online, and have been disapointed a few times.

Mitchel at meanstreet guitars makes his own pickups for his vanhalen copies http://www.meanstreetguitars.com/Mean%20Guitars.htm

These are some awesome pickups, visit his site, and ask him to sell his pickups.

John

A far as Barknuckles winding their pick ups by hand I'm not sure, but I did went to Torres Engineering where I saw where their set up, they wind their pick ups by hand.

I've had a set of BKP Apache's in my strat for a year now, and they're really fantastic. Very low output (5.6 calibrated I believe), but to my ears, the epitomy of 'strat tone'. Their about to be moved into my hollow strat body when it arrives, so I'll let you know how they fair then too.
The customer service at BKP is also second to none.
Highly recommended.

I have Bareknuckle Miracle Men pickups in my Vee and they are awesome. Very zakk wylde and early metallica. They are wound by hand and are excellent.

i got my aged nickel covered nailbomb two weeks ago, but am still waiting for my ordered warmoth parts, so i haven't yet had the chance to hear it.
look-wise, the custom aging and the whole packaging with a set of new strings, detailed instructions, a bkp-pick and mucho mojo, these things are very much worth the rather pricey cost!  :eek:ccasion14:

tone-wise, i also only heard rave reviews so far, and the many soudfiles downloadable on bkp's forum made the decision to buy one easy on me..  :icon_thumright:

cheers!

I've got a couple of sets of Bareknuckles - a Wapig set in my Warmoth Soloist, and a Mule set in a Les Paul. They are excellent pickups, and the customer service is great - your questions are answered by the guy who designs and builds the pickups, not a rep who only has half an idea of whay they're talking about.

I agree that they are expensive - £90 ($180) for single humbucker is a lot, but the quality is first class. They also guarantee the pickups for life for the original owner, which is reassuring.

Back