Ballpark Tech/Luthier pricing?

ORCRiST

So, as I anxiously gather the last few parts for a complete build - while confident in my ability to assemble
the guitar, I think I may pay someone to oversee the final stages...especially set-up, intonation, neck
adjustments, and possibly a fret level if needed (but highly doubtful). I feel confident wiring up the pups
and electronics on the pickguard, so I'll do that, same with installing the locking tuners. Were I get a little
queasy is drilling holes for the pickguard itself into the body, drilling holes for the strap locks, drilling holes
for the string tree, etc.

Anyone want to throw out some numbers for what a respectable Luthier/tech will (i.e should) charge for final
assembly covering the work listed above? Possible issues that might occur during assembly (thus meaning
more money), or anything else I should be on the lookout for - I'm a babe in the woods at this point!  :toothy11:

Thanks!

ORC

I was quoted a $200 ballpark assembly/setup from my luthier. That didn't include any paint, routing, or custom work.

YMMV of course.

$150 seems to be the going rate here in Los Angeles for a complete assembly, including setup and intonation. I think all the competition with so many techs and guitar shops here keeps the prices low.

mrpinter said:
$150 seems to be the going rate here in Los Angeles for a complete assembly, including setup and intonation. I think all the competition with so many techs and guitar shops here keeps the prices low.

That's the way it is here in the Detroit area. Tons of competition, and from really good guys. I don't know how they make any money at it. They gotta be working at near minimum wage by the time they're done.

Jackson56 said:
Most Techs that I know would be charging in the $50-$60 per hour range.

I suppose if you have a captive audience, you might be able to get away with those kinds of prices. But, while setups and fretwork require some skill, it's really not that difficult. It's more about patience and having the right tools than anything else. The details are fairly easy to get your head around.

try this, assemble as much as you can, you evidently have the pickguard assembled, so take that and lay it in place and visually align it.  take a awl or sharp center punch and lightly tap the center of the hole locations, then use a small drill bit and drill the holes and insert screws, youl wanna re lift the pickguard and remove any debrie from between pickguard and body.

Prior to installing the neck and stringing it up, add 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise on the truss rod.

wait about a day or two with it strung up, then check your neck relief/ action. adjust truss rod accordingly.

the last step is intonation, and is best done with the guage strings you plan to use, and those strings should have been streached out after a couple days of playing.

Do a google search on guitar intonation and read a few of those till you find one that makes sense to you, all of this is very simple and straight forward, if you can solder, you can do a setup. Not that solder has anything to do with setup, I'm just sayin you have the skills and patience to do it.

Back