Available control options...

GuitarEC

Okay, the time is drawing near and I'm gathering the last little bits of information I need to place my order for Warmoth build Numero Uno!!  (Insert applause here)

Now, on the control options (as far as the holes for switches and knobs and such) the site indicates that you can pick one of the options and elect to omit whatever controls you don't want.  Can additional hole be drilled at the time of manufacture, or would that constitue a custom charge of some sort?

I'm wanting to have 2 mini toggles (to control bridge and neck humbuckers for tapping) on the body with a 3 way fender-style switch and a single volume and tone control.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Eric "GuitarEC"

Warmoth can do custom sized holes in traditional known positions, but not new positions.

Another option you may consider, (so more holes don't need to be drilled in that beautiful top you'll have Warmoth put on your body), is if you only tap the coils on one setting, is to use a push/push, or a push/pull pot in your volume or tone position, that way you can just tap or pull the pot, instead of flicking a switch, ie;

Split on Volume
Dimarzio3wppsplitvolume.gif

Split on Tone
Dimarzio3wppsplittone1.gif

On these schematics listed above, you can either use just one pot to activate both pickups simultaneously, or you can have say the bridge pot activate the neck pickup, & the tone pot activate the bridge.

or, as I have on my Ibanez RG7620, I have it wired like this so that in the center position, both pickups are tapped on the inner coils.  The outside positions 1 & 3 are the respective full humbucking options.  The Dimarzio Part #EP1111 is a 3 position 12 pole switch that fits in the hole drilled for a normal LP styled 3 way switch, but the 3 way tele/strat switch that comes stock in the Ibanez can be replaced for a lot cheaper than the $35.00 that the Dimarzio Switch costs.
This center position yields the most beautiful Tele-styled cleans ala Robert Plant's Big Log, or Chris Issak's Wicked Game.
Petrucciwiring.jpg

the push pull pot thingy is a great way to go,but to road ready maybe worth contacting your Yamaha dealer for their push push pots...they don't come off in your hand if you get over excited on stage.

neil said:
the push pull pot thingy is a great way to go,but to road ready maybe worth contacting your Yamaha dealer for their push push pots...they don't come off in your hand if you get over excited on stage.

What do you mean by "to road ready"?
Are Yamaha pots different than say, Allparts or Dimarzio?

Yamaha's switching pot don't push pull,they push push to do the same job...I have had some heavy handed players actually pull the control knob off of the pot when activating the switch! Not some thing you really want to do mid song!
Yamaha's pots don't differ in any other way,the same job,same quality,just no pull action...

neil said:
Yamaha's switching pot don't push pull,they push push to do the same job...I have had some heavy handed players actually pull the control knob off of the pot when activating the switch! Not some thing you really want to do mid song!
Yamaha's pots don't differ in any other way,the same job,same quality,just no pull action...

That makes sense.  That's the same reason I use the Push/Push, I get them from Warmoth or Allparts, about $16.00.

the road ready thing referres to some of my customer who love their old strat's etc. that aren't up to the punishment they put them through.
I work with a lot of very aggressive metal bands and you have to nail every thing down for them before a tour.
I do all the set up work but then road ready it......this involves simpy things such as flooding the sweety bass players pots with servisol 3 times, locktight on the intonation screws,height screws....and even the jack socket bolt ....if they could screw it up I try to pre- empt it.

think of how many thing's went wrong for you as a kid ,that you probabley only paid for once,then got savy....life on the road is hard....hard on the player but even harder on the gear that a stressed player is using.

I even supply a lipseal to the guys who don't use floyds so they don't have to be embarassed buy a jar of vaseline in their guitar case :blob7:

neil said:
the road ready thing referres to some of my customer who love their old strat's etc. that aren't up to the punishment they put them through.
I work with a lot of very aggressive metal bands and you have to nail every thing down for them before a tour.
I do all the set up work but then road ready it......this involves simpy things such as flooding the sweety bass players pots with servisol 3 times, locktight on the intonation screws,height screws....and even the jack socket bolt ....if they could screw it up I try to pre- empt it.

think of how many thing's went wrong for you as a kid ,that you probabley only paid for once,then got savy....life on the road is hard....hard on the player but even harder on the gear that a stressed player is using.

I even supply a lipseal to the guys who don't use floyds so they don't have to be embarassed buy a jar of vaseline in their guitar case :blob7:

I can totally relate, I gigged for 20 + years, & stopped when I was 35, I only play at our church now every other month, but I still prepare the same way.  "Backups for my backups" if you know what I mean.

Back