At long Last!

Gale

Hey everybody!!

After what seemed like a journey towards Mount Doom...
(Thanks a big bunch Gregg!)

FINALLY!!! My first build is born!

Alder with Flamed top, with a hint of vintage stain.
Goncalo Alves mated to an Ebony board, shooting streaks of stainless steal.
A curious match of Seymore Duncan hot and vintage Rails + DiMarzio Super Distortion.

And a WHOLE LOT OF LOVE from me...

Hope you dudes enjoy... 'cause I just found a bit on Heaven in ma hands! :hello2:

Attachments

• DSC00043.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC00044.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC00048.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC00051.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 406
DIG it. Love the colors you have going on. Great match between the goncalo and body. Great looking hardware. You've really just got those two colors, and it look really impressive. Not my first choice for pickups but I bet it sure rocks.

That looks so tasty!
especially the Goncalo.. did you leave it unfinished? how does it feel??
I really really really need one of those!

It's not a Floyd Rose, it's a Wilkinson bridge. The flame on the body looks awesome but look at that headstock! I'm drooling  :eek:

Thanks a lot for the encouragement!

The goncalo ROCKS! When the description says "waxy," its literally waxy. Almost like self lubrication...  :laughing7: You can almost feel like if the wood is sweating. I think its an amazing wood for necks. Your thumb and palm never stick, just like a sunnyside-up egg on a teflon coated pan.

Definitely raw, in fact, the main reason I got this one was because I wanted to leave it in the birthday suit. :binkybaby:
The neck is juicy! By far the best I've tried. I could not be happier. The ss frets add so much to the experience, I ain't going back to regular! Bending is SOOOO much easier, especially since I upgraded string gauges (.08 - .10).

Next build will get a ziricote/ziricote... or a wenge... so MANY CHOICES!

As to the pups, yeah, I'm into prog rock a la dream theater. I was trying to do a sort of happy medium between old and new... and I had the Dimarzio lying around for a while (I know, I know... I'm a cheap bastard :icon_biggrin:). But one thing is for sure, after this build, I got a sense of direction with my future builds, oh yeah! I got the Warmoth bug! Catching myself wandering around the showcase... Crunching number to see if I can manage without eating for a couple of days...

Here are a couple of shots of the guitars hieney.

Thanks again folks!

Attachments

• DSC00055.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC00056.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 307
  • DSC00057.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 319
Man look at the figure on the back of the neck. Just imagine if you could use that for the fretboard as well. Hell, why can't you? Does anyone know?

Wow awsome man, looks like a tiger, grrrrawl! 

(hope that grawl wasnt to gay)

CD sometimes they do have all goncalo necks. CB's got one, and there was a STUNNING one in the showcase this past spring. One of the best neck's I'd ever seen. Big swirls like ocean waves or something...

But yeah I don't know why they don't do it more often.

Nice!!  Did that body come from the Showcase?  Before I decided on my neck, I seem to remember salivating over a couple of the amber flame tops, just like yours, almost two months ago.

Yep! Both neck and bod are showcase pieces, I remember going bonkers when I saw the amber flametop... very mellow feeling to it.

I would love to see the all goncalo neck, I could imagine spending more time tracing the woodgrain!

Thanks guys! She really came toghether "on her own," I had no idea of what I was doing. Imagine my surprise!  :toothy12:

nathan a said:
CD sometimes they do have all goncalo necks. CB's got one, and there was a STUNNING one in the showcase this past spring. One of the best neck's I'd ever seen. Big swirls like ocean waves or something...

But yeah I don't know why they don't do it more often.

I believe that was some kind of special order. Also, CB finished the whole thing in Nitro or Tung oil if I remember correctly. makes me wonder if the fretboard is suitable to play unfinished... CB? what do you think!

Very kick ass Strat, my man.  I have to agree with everyone else that the colors and woods there make for a really striking look,  and I bet it screams!!!

Back