Are trem claw ground wires really necessary?

llmtelecaster

I'm asking because last night I finished a shielding job on one of my strats and forgot to re-solder the ground wire back to the trem claw. I realized this right as I was screwing in the last pickguard screw, but decided to go ahead and test it anyways. To my surprise, the guitar had no hum. So it got me wondering.

I used several coats of Stew Mac carbon based shielding paint, foil on the back of the pickguard, etc. It has zero hum now, but even on the guitarnuts website, he still shows a ground wire being run to the trem claw in the wiring diagram  :icon_scratch:

Can I just leave the guitar as is or should I run a wire to the trem claw for good measure?

If the trem claw screws go through the conductive paint, then that's probably having the same effect as a wire soldered to the claw.

It doesn't matter how you do it, just so long as you get your strings grounded. With tremolos, it is usually easiest to just solder a wire to the trem claw, but there are other ways.

With electric guitar, you are the "ground", so your fingers touching the strings with a bridge that is grounded is what completes that "circuit".

With the trem claw, the bridge is grounded through the springs, claw, and attached ground wire. As previously mentioned, there are other ways, but that is one of the easiest and most common.

In a strictly literal sense, it isn't needed for the circuit to be completed.  There's a ground supplied in the cable.  If your body was the ground that completed the circuit, it would only work when you touch it.  We know that doesn't happen.  I would ground the strings (unless an EMG system, though some believe you should still string ground those).  Even on a shielded humbucker equipped guitar, you should still string ground it.  If you claim there's no hum and it's totally quiet, touch a grounded part like the Strat Jack.  See if there's even less buzz.  If there is no change, you may have incidental contact as mentioned earlier.  To be 100% sure, put a continuity tester between your strings and Jack plate.

Street Avenger said:
With electric guitar, you are the "ground", so your fingers touching the strings with a bridge that is grounded is what completes that "circuit".

With the trem claw, the bridge is grounded through the springs, claw, and attached ground wire. As previously mentioned, there are other ways, but that is one of the easiest and most common.

No, you're not the ground. At least, you should hope you're not. If you are, there's a chance you'll get killed. Literally. Especially with "vintage" amps.

Usually, without a ground, you act as yet another antenna. That's why when you touch hot or ungrounded parts, you hear noise. If it gets quieter, you're acting as a shield. Neither situation is good.

Cagey said:
Street Avenger said:

No, you're not the ground. At least, you should hope you're not. If you are, there's a chance you'll get killed. Literally. Especially with "vintage" amps.

Usually, without a ground, you act as yet another antenna. That's why when you touch hot or ungrounded parts, you hear noise. If it gets quieter, you're acting as a shield. Neither situation is good.

Okay, It was probably a poor choice of words. My original point being that there needs to be no difference of potential between you and Ground.  If you are touching the strings, and the strings are grounded by a wire that is attached to the bridge, there will be much less, or even no buzz. Not so if the strings are not grounded.

Back