Are Locking Tuners Really Nessecary?

LooseCannon

Hey guys, i've been researching locking tuners for my new build, i've been reading information about each brand all over the net for days.
However, after reading a few posts which said if you string your guitar correctly with quality standard tuners, with a knot to lock them at the post, locking tuners won't make a difference.

So what's your opinion on the issue? Did anyone replace standard tuners with locking tuners on the same guitar and noticed an improvment in tuning stabillity? Assuming of course the strings were locked with a knot of some sort on the standard tuners?

And on a related subject, do you think staggered posts are a big advantage since they eliminate strings trees?

Thanks

My opinion is that locking tuners are great - but mostly because I'm a lazy bastard and don't like doing all the windings.

mayfly said:
My opinion is that locking tuners are great - but mostly because I'm a lazy bastard and don't like doing all the windings.

+1

They make string changes so much easier.

DocNrock said:
mayfly said:

+1

+2

Pretty much guilty as charged here.  :laughing7:

Blue313 said:
DocNrock said:
mayfly said:

+1

+2

Pretty much guilty as charged here.  :laughing7:

+3
I am going with the crowd here.  I just put my first set of locking tuners on my hardtail strat and I love em'  :hello2:
String changes are much, much easier and I rarely have to tune this baby. 
:rock-on:

aside from the ease of restringing you don't really need them unless you are using a nonlocking tremolo. I think that every guitar should have them anyway so I guess I say +4

rockskate4x said:
aside from the ease of restringing you don't really need them unless you are using a nonlocking tremolo. I think that every guitar should have them anyway so I guess I say +4

So if i'm using a nonlocking tremolo what advantage to they give me over the standard tuners?

LooseCannon said:
rockskate4x said:

So if i'm using a nonlocking tremolo what advantage to they give me over the standard tuners?

You will have increased tuning stability with locking tuners.  With locking tuners, you don't have nearly the windings so the string won't have as great of opportunity to snag/rub on itself. 
The same situation as if you had a sticky nut, except occurring at the tuner.

bbl4ck said:
LooseCannon said:
rockskate4x said:

You will have increased tuning stability with locking tuners.  With locking tuners, you don't have nearly the windings so the string won't have as great of opportunity to snag/rub on itself. 

Well the knot stringing technique i'm using right now gives me 1-2 winds around the peg so how would locking tuners give me an edge over that?

I honestly haven't found any benefit to locking tuners other than ease of changing strings.

GoDrex said:
I honestly haven't found any benefit to locking tuners other than ease of changing strings.

Thanks/ Which locking tuners do you have expirience with and what technique do you use to string your guitar with regular tuners?

I have the planet waves on all of my builds.  Their disadvantages are that they cost more and they are heavier.  The advantages are ease of use/speed of string changes, and locking (if you need that.)  Honestly, I am only using them now because of how easy they make string changes with an 18 to 1 wind ratio.  Also, I primarily use fixed bridge guitars, so the locking part is not that required, but the easy of use sold me.
Patrick

LooseCannon said:
bbl4ck said:
LooseCannon said:
rockskate4x said:

Well the knot stringing technique i'm using right now gives me 1-2 winds around the peg so how would locking tuners give me an edge over that?

When stringing with Schaller locking tuners I shoot for 1/4 to 1/2 wind.  I certainly don't use more than 1.

For me it's convenience.  With regular tuners you have to measure out the right length, wind it correctly, and then snip it.  With a tuner like the planet waves, you just pull the string thru and tight, lock it down, twist and it cuts itself to length.  It makes it a lot easier when you're in a hurry.

I suppose because there are fewer windings (half vs 3) your tuning stabilizes sooner.  The strings don't have to settle in as long.

LooseCannon said:
GoDrex said:

Thanks/ Which locking tuners do you have expirience with and what technique do you use to string your guitar with regular tuners?

I have guitars now with Grover mini locking Rotomatics, Fender (Schaller) locking tuners, and Planet Waves. I think I like the Grovers the best because they're automatic. You don't have to tighten anything, they lock themselves as you tighten them up. I don't like the PWs as much because of the auto-cutting thing. It seems like a good idea at first, but I've wasted a few high e strings because they've accidentally popped out of the hole and then the string is too short to get back in. Someone else has claimed that the cutting thing stopped working for them after a while. I haven't had them long enough for that to happen to me. Also the thumbscrew thing can fall all the way out if you loosen too much - which could be annoying. They're good otherwise. The Fender (Schaller) ones are good, I've always liked Schaller stuff. My favorite tuners are my old mini Schallers that say made in West Germany on them. I hope to get them back on a guitar one day.

I've never used the tie on method of stringing up. By the time I learned about it I was already using locking tuners on everything. I would probably do it that way now, though I never really had any trouble staying in tune just winding the string up a couple of times.

Thanks everyone. I'm still not sure if I should get locking ones or not, but if I will get locking it would most likely be the Sperzel Sound-Loks: http://www.specialtyguitars.com/sperzel.html

No thumbscrew, staggered, and lighter than all other locking tuners (including the sperzel trim-loks). Seems really easy and simple to use.
However they have an open housing, any pros and cons to that?

I've been thinking of using these on a future 12 string guitar mostly for the reduced weight.

If you use them, let us know how they work!

LooseCannon said:
Thanks everyone. I'm still not sure if I should get locking ones or not, but if I will get locking it would most likely be the Sperzel Sound-Loks: http://www.specialtyguitars.com/sperzel.html

No thumbscrew, staggered, and lighter than all other locking tuners (including the sperzel trim-loks). Seems really easy and simple to use.
However they have an open housing, any pros and cons to that?

Open gears allow dust and grime to get in.

Don't neglect to look at the nut for tuning stability. No locking tuner in the world will keep your guitar in tune with an improperly slotted nut.

Back