Apple Logic Express 9 vs. Logic Studio 9

Torment Leaves Scars

Just had a b-day yesterday and my wife got me Apple Logic Express 9.  She also got me a DR-880 drum machine.  :party07:

Anyway, I haven't opened Logic Express 9 yet, as I don't know if it's going to be good enough for what I'm looking for.  I'm really starting to get into the home recording thing, and want a software that's going to lend a really nice, professional mix. 

To my knowledge, Studio has a few more plug-ins (no clue what a plug-in is...) than Express, and has some sort of "surround sound" capability.  Is something like a "surround sound" capability going to enhance the sound much in an automobile?

Anyway, there's a $300 difference between the two, so I'm sure Studio 9 has more features, but just wanna know if Express 9 will do me fine.  I haven't opened it yet, so I can still return it.  Then, I'll just go ahead and get Logic Studio for Xmas next year, or something.

So has anyone used these software programs?  If so, can I get some opinions?

Thanks!

Torment Leaves Scars said:
Anyway, I haven't opened Logic Express 9 yet, as I don't know if it's going to be good enough for what I'm looking for.  I'm really starting to get into the home recording thing, and want a software that's going to lend a really nice, professional mix. 
To my knowledge, Studio has a few more plug-ins (no clue what a plug-in is...) than Express, and has some sort of "surround sound" capability.  Is something like a "surround sound" capability going to enhance the sound much in an automobile?
I'll answer the easy questions ...  :glasses9:
First of all, even though most cars these days have up to 10 speakers, they are still only wired in stereo.  Mixing music in surround is being done, but it is mostly orchestral stuff, and requires a medium called SA-CD (Super Audio Compact Disc), which encodes the 5 surround tracks, and the SA-CD player then decodes them.  Condsidering that most music is purchased as mp3's, and listened to on iPods, and that humans still only have 2 ears, I wouldn't worry about mixing in surround.
Plug-ins are software processors.  So, they can be compressors, EQ's, reverbs, pitch shifters, etc etc etc.  Most people think that more is better, however, just about EVERYONE I know who does any recording, at home or professionally, seems to have found their favorites, and rarely stray from them.  What becomes important is that you can get those plug-ins on all the inputs that you want.  That generally comes from the processing power of your computer.
While I haven't used Logic in quite some time, and have never used Logic express, all the softwares pretty much work the same way.  The quality of your recordings are based on the box that gets the signal in and out of the computer, so if you're going to spend money, buy the best interface you can afford.
Good luck with your recordings!

While I also haven't worked with Logic or Logic Express for quite some time now (I am a Pro Tools Nerd), I can assure you that this is a proper DAW, although it is more "beginner-friendly".
There are quite a few alternatives and some people tend to stick to one or another DAW almost religiously. Think of MacOS  vs. Windows. Fender vs. Gibson. BMW vs. Mercedes Benz. hehe.
I for one can't say which is the best, but judging from your questions you seem to be a "freshman" (no offence meant!) in this métier. This makes life easier.

As AndyG already said, don't worry about the surround mixing feature. I think your goal is to record some music tracks and not sound design/score music/feature mixes etc in 5.1 surround.
And since this is a host-based sytem, you should have atleast a half decent computer (e.g. Intel Core 2 or better, 4gigs RAM or more) besides a good interface.
So, I think you should be fine with Logic Express, although you need to learn quite a few things to use it properly. But there are lots of tutorials around the internet, so go and have fun :)

toronado said:
While I also haven't worked with Logic or Logic Express for quite some time now (I am a Pro Tools Nerd), I can assure you that this is a proper DAW, although it is more "beginner-friendly".
There are quite a few alternatives and some people tend to stick to one or another DAW almost religiously. Think of MacOS  vs. Windows. Fender vs. Gibson. BMW vs. Mercedes Benz. hehe.
I for one can't say which is the best, but judging from your questions you seem to be a "freshman" (no offence meant!) in this métier. This makes life easier.

As AndyG already said, don't worry about the surround mixing feature. I think your goal is to record some music tracks and not sound design/score music/feature mixes etc in 5.1 surround.
And since this is a host-based sytem, you should have atleast a half decent computer (e.g. Intel Core 2 or better, 4gigs RAM or more) besides a good interface.
So, I think you should be fine with Logic Express, although you need to learn quite a few things to use it properly. But there are lots of tutorials around the internet, so go and have fun :)

And this is where I get "KTFO."  I'm pretty computer illiterate outside of knowing how to navigate the internet and type up a resume, so I'll have to ask, what would the interface be?  :help:

Torment Leaves Scars said:
And this is where I get "KTFO."  I'm pretty computer illiterate outside of knowing how to navigate the internet and type up a resume, so I'll have to ask, what would the interface be?  :help:

Basically, a box that has analog to digital converters to take your guitar/bass/microphone signals and turn them into the 1's and 0's that the software will understand.  These boxes will usually hook up via USB or Firewire.  If you plan on doing strictly MIDI music (MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface) with software synthesisers, then the interface is unnecessary.  However, any kind of vocals will mean you will have to plug a microphone into the computer .... and that's where the interface comes in.  You CAN buy a USB microphone, and it will work just fine, but the quality won't be the same.
The other advantage to using an interface is you are much less likely to deal with a horrible thing called latency.  When using computer recording gear, it can happen that the signal you send in gets delayed slightly (due to computer processing) before you hear it back.  That makes it next to impossible to overdub instruments, as you will never be playing in sync with the previously recorded tracks.  Having an interface to take care of the audio processing instead of the computer will (mostly) eliminate that problem.
I am simplifiying how this works a little bit, but if you are unfamiliar with how computer recording works, we have to start with the basics.

jackthehack said:
What Apple computer do you have?

I have a MacBook Pro, which is running OS-X 10.6, I believe.

AndyG said:
Basically, a box that has analog to digital converters to take your guitar/bass/microphone signals and turn them into the 1's and 0's that the software will understand.   These boxes will usually hook up via USB or Firewire.  If you plan on doing strictly MIDI music (MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface) with software synthesisers, then the interface is unnecessary.  However, any kind of vocals will mean you will have to plug a microphone into the computer .... and that's where the interface comes in.  You CAN buy a USB microphone, and it will work just fine, but the quality won't be the same.
The other advantage to using an interface is you are much less likely to deal with a horrible thing called latency.  When using computer recording gear, it can happen that the signal you send in gets delayed slightly (due to computer processing) before you hear it back.  That makes it next to impossible to overdub instruments, as you will never be playing in sync with the previously recorded tracks.  Having an interface to take care of the audio processing instead of the computer will (mostly) eliminate that problem.
I am simplifiying how this works a little bit, but if you are unfamiliar with how computer recording works, we have to start with the basics.

Ah, okay.  I do have a USB microphone, but it's to my wife's Guitar Hero game.  :help:

Yeah, what can I say, we're adults who play Guitar Hero.  I play guitar, she plays drums, and NEITHER of us sings!  :toothy12:

For musical equipment, the only thing I'm using is a Line 6 UX2.  I think there's a very slight latency, but hardly noticeable.

The UX2 will work just fine.  In fact, it has a couple of mic inputs, which means you can eventually plug a real microphone into it  :icon_biggrin:, and if you want, a couple of speakers so that you're not mixing with headphones.

I think you'll have fun with Logic Express.  If ever you find that you outgrow it, you can then look into more sophisticated hardware/software combos.

You may end up finding that with the software sound modules, you won't need the drum machine, but then you'll need a keyboard to program the drums, and any other synth instruments.  I have never used the DR880, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  Once again, have fun!

AndyG said:
The UX2 will work just fine.  In fact, it has a couple of mic inputs, which means you can eventually plug a real microphone into it  :icon_biggrin:, and if you want, a couple of speakers so that you're not mixing with headphones.

I think you'll have fun with Logic Express.  If ever you find that you outgrow it, you can then look into more sophisticated hardware/software combos.

You may end up finding that with the software sound modules, you won't need the drum machine, but then you'll need a keyboard to program the drums, and any other synth instruments.  I have never used the DR880, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.  Once again, have fun!

The DR-880 sounds really good.  I'm sure someone with a trained ear could tell it's a drum machine, but it sounds pretty legit.

I've got Logic Studio 9 - a bit tough for me but working into it. Try Garage Band to start. Also try Logic tutorials available on the Apple website. Really great stuff. I use Apogee's analogue to digital converter (duet and also Jam). Works really well.

PT said:
I've got Logic Studio 9 - a bit tough for me but working into it. Try Garage Band to start. Also try Logic tutorials available on the Apple website. Really great stuff. I use Apogee's analogue to digital converter (duet and also Jam). Works really well.

I was using GarageBand, but outgrew it very quickly.  The drum tracks were limited, the abilities to add other things into the drum tracks were limited, etc.

My birthday was Sunday, and my wife got me a Boss DR-880, which she gave me early, then gave me the Logic Express on Sunday.  I haven't opened that yet, as I don't know what I"m going to do (yet). 

I have a Line 6 UX2, so I have plenty of options for guitar effects.  I have a guitar, bass, and drum machine, so customizable drums aren't an issue, nor are the vocal effects.

Basically, my main concerns are mixing and recording capabilities.  I want to be able to get a decent, near-pro-grade mix.  I also want something that offers some good editing capabilities for those little idiosyncrasies that come up...

I spent the cash and got the tutorials by groove 3 and making my way through them for Logic Pro. I think it is worth it. I agree about the limitations of garage band. I can finish a project completely and save as an mp3 and while there are many more choices with Logic Pro, the learning curve for me is steep. Going to take a bit to learn Logic Studio through and through (I'm not as sophisticated as you are most likely though). Don't have express.

Back