Anyone sprayed successfully over chrome hardware?

PitchShifter

I have managed to track down a Musicman Stingray bridge from WD music, but they only come in Chrome.  Has anyone sprayed over Chrome hardware with success?  I.E. does the paint stick, does it stand up to normal usage?
I'm thinking of using some automotive Duplicolor paint - do you think this will work?

Chrome is usually pretty shiny.  If you own a dremel, I might suggest roughing it up a bit before trying this.  Paint will probably stick a bit better.

You can maybe, MAYBE etch the chrome, but the bridge is probably zinc and will not fare well in that sort of thing.  Another possible route is to shellac the bridge, as shellac does very well to adhere paints to metal... but chrome is unusually bad for any overpainting.

What color are you trying to achieve?  I'm in the process of electroplating all my hardware and while it can be a pain in the ass (I probably won't do it again) the results can be good with some practice.  I'm using the Black Krome Plug 'n' Plate kit found here:  http://www.caswellplating.com

I've used the new Krylon Fusion "sticks to anything without primer" to blacken items like pickup covers and bass string retainers, but wouldn't use anything like that on a bridge.

Back