What the heck do I want?

Superlizard said:
What the heck do I want?

Pay no heed to the unwashed righty masses... what you want,,, is a lefty guitar.

Quite an interesting idea...

In other news, what do y'all think about transparent tangerine?

34ranh3.jpg

This is a shot of one of Willy K's guitars from around here...

bill_keaveny_lrg.jpg

I still wanna build a righty kind of like it...  It's number, oh, beyond five on the list, but we will see what happens...
Patrick

Hmm. That's not really my style. I want something that seems a little more 'fun' and a juxtaposition of my personality and playing style.

On another note, going back a few posts, a solid, unfinished rosewood neck was suggested. Don't unfinished necks get ruined by sweat and dirt?

Exotic wood necks do not get ruined by sweat/dirt.  They include Rosewood, Wenge, Padouk, Goncalo Alves, Bubinga, Canary, Pau Ferro, Purple Heart, Ebony, and Bloodwood.

hands up if you've played willyk's jmtele  :hello2:

shame it was left handed  :icon_biggrin:

i wouold personally go bright and gaudy, it seems like that's what you're really knuckling towards. so go crazy, who cares if it's in poor taste or "non-traditional" or whatever. go nuts. try out a bunch of different guitars/pickups at your local guitar shop and work out what pickups/neck sizes/frets work for you.

i love my first (only) warmoth build, it has a raw wenge/ebony boatneck with SS6105 frets. after about a year, i have decided that my next build will have a fatback neck (same woods), but with smaller/wider frets, prob 6130. i hate to drift away from the SS frets (i love them), but want smaller wide frets. so you keep learning as you go. i didn't even take any notice of frets/necks until building my warmoth. :guitaristgif:

so yeah, go crazy, i guess is the point im trying to make, and don't worry about making mistakes, it's still gonna play like a demon  :evil4:

rightintheface said:
...i have decided that my next build will have a fatback neck (same woods), but with smaller/wider frets, prob 6130.

That's my fret of choice... on anything and everything.  Low enough so you can really "grab and shake the neck" whenst vibrato-ing without pressing too hard and going outta tune; easy chording as well and hammer ons pulls offs are a breeze (not to mention sliding) - and enough fret for smooth bends.

Giant train trestle frets suck unless you've got bear paws, a sissy super-light "touch" or you're scalloping.

yeah, well that sounds like exactly what i want in a neck (even though i dont play a trem). i played a mates strat on the weekend, and the frets were low and wide, and were so incredibly easy to play. some licks i busted out were effortless.
i like the ss frets i have atm, but they're tooooooo big. makes it impossible to use a capo on (not that i do it often)

oh, sorry for hijacking this thread  :laughing7:

No worries about the hijack.

For the pickups, I was thinking about something a little strange.

Two P-90's, each with their own volume control and a three-way selector, and then separately wired, a mini-humbucker with its own on-off switch. Top it all off with a master volume and tone pot. Any thoughts?

282jckl.jpg

My problem with that is how do you get "minibucker only" - you'd have to turn down the vol on whatever P90 is selected, and the minibucker would be wired from its on/off switch to the three-way output, but if the P90 vol was turned down, that would allow a path to ground for the min-bucker too, wouldnt it?

If I'm right, then the solution would be to use a an on-on-on switch for the minibucker and have it come after the 3-way toggle and just before the master vol. Then your new 3-way would go: minibucker only, minib + whatever P90 option you selected, P90 only.

That would give you about 93 ever-so-slightly different sounds to mess with, plus a multi-volume-control mess. When you want to turn up the vol in mid-song, how are you gonna remember which vol to turn up? I recommend you keep to the "one volume control per pickup or per guitar" rule.

Okay. It's ordered.

-Jazzmaster body
-Mahogany
-Recessed TOM with arched string-through
-P-90x3 (they couldn't do a miniHB)
-Candy tangerine
-And...possibly a black racing stripe (apparently no one ever asks about racing stripes [imagine that!], so he wasn't sure if they still do them).

Now I just need to figure out what neck specs I want, and how I should wire it up, and I'm good to go....oh, and wait 1700 or so more hours.

Welcome to the very exclusive club of guys with orange(ish) jazzmasters!  There aren't many of us... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3009.0

Glad you went with the tangerine - looks awesome on stratplayer1's guitar: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4461.0

Cheers.

elgravos said:
Welcome to the very exclusive club of guys with orange(ish) jazzmasters!  There aren't many of us... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3009.0

Glad you went with the tangerine - looks awesome on stratplayer1's guitar: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=4461.0

Cheers.

Thanks! So it looks like the club is just (soon to be) me, you, and The Edge?

fernandes_orange.jpg

And that strat looks awesome - if my JM comes anywhere close, I'll be ecstatic.

Add Lee Renaldo of Sonic youth.  Of course, between the members of that band, I think they have a Jazzmaster of every color under the rainbow...........

Back