Anyone here using a Tremol-No?

Torment Leaves Scars

Dunno if anyone's heard of the Tremol-No, but I just got one for my guitar.  It looks easy enough to install, especially when watching the "install" video on YouTube, but things are hardly ever what they seem.

Anyway, just lookin' for opinions on the install process from some people who have experience with the Tremol-No, and have installed one.  Any tips or tricks?

SustainerPlayer said:
I have had it on my Floyd guitars in the past.

This one was a Fernandes Revolver Pro 7:

frp7_2.jpg

frp7_6.jpg

A Fernandes Revolver Pro:

Revolver_sale_04.jpg

And I even had it on a Fernandes Retrorocket Pro:

frr_4.jpg

Yeah - there is a reason my nickname is SustainerPlayer  :toothy11:

I used the Tremol-No´s hard tail mode when going to alternate tunings and that worked very well. Else I used the guitars in standard tuning with floating trems.

During installation you only have to be careful that the Tremol-No is alinged correctly. But I can't remember that hard to do.

It's a good addition to any trem if you want quickly to go from free floating to dive only or hard tail. Plus it's a benefit to go to hard tail when changing strings on the Floyds.

Another tricks is if you break a string while in free floating mode - then use your whammy bar to get the other strings back to pitch and then lock the Tremol-No to hard tail. Again it's now much easier to change the broken string.

And maybe you could even do this to save the guitar for the rest of the song if the string breaks midsong during a gig. Although you may have to pratice on that.  :laughing7:

I think this is the same Tremol-No I just bought, a clamping style.  It seemed like a really cool little device, so I picked it up off eBay for $50.

Off the subject, but how do you like that (red) Fernandes?  That's one sharp lookin' axe!  I think I saw a YouTube video of some little kid playing one, and he had a sustainer p'up installed in it.  It sounded pretty awesome.

Yup.  Got one on my V-dub.  Installation was easy and fast.  The only trick I saw was making sure it is properly aligned.  If the 'piston' is out of alignment, you'll feel a slight scraping and it won't move completely smooth.  Tweak the clamping on the trem block.

These are a great product...the only slight issue is that the two locking screw rattle a bit.
Also, I found that the return to pitch (in floating mode) was improved with a bit of lubricant on the "piston".

Funky Phil said:
These are a great product...the only slight issue is that the two locking screw rattle a bit.
Also, I found that the return to pitch (in floating mode) was improved with a bit of lubricant on the "piston".

When you installed it, did you have to loosen the locking nut, or could you install it as-is with the nut locked?

I have one in my cheap ass Schecter with a crappy licensed Floyd. I always keep that thing in hard-tail, and it works very well. I'm really not much of a trem guy, but the guitar was a gift, so beggars can't be choosers.

It's dirt easy to install.
I didn't even take the floyd out to install it.

I stuck a premeasured block of wood behind the sustain block with the guitar still up to pitch, pulled out the old claw and springs, installed the T-No setup, aligned it, brought the springs back up to tension equal to the pitch, done.

I use it all the time for Drop only in Drop D tuning, fully floating for other things, and I almost always have it in hard tail when recording rythym tracks.
Anytime my guitar is in the case, it's locked in hard tail, which also makes 1 at a time string changes dirt easy.

I have one on my seven-string, and it's a fine thing. In order to get it set just perfect with no binding, you have to sort of tighten it slightly, wiggle stuff around so it finds it's alignment, tighten it a little more, wiggle-tighten-wiggle etc. Once it's set it's great. Also the little screws that lock it into hardtail mode will tend to loosen and fall out. You can keep them in place if you put a tiny little O-ring under them. I just take them out, when I want it to whammy.

Back