Anyone ever use chalk paint?

jcmusic

Hi guys, first-time poster.  Just got my (flamed roasted maple/rosewood) neck & (roasted Swamp Ash) body in the mail & need some advice.

My goal is a weathered/distressed look like this:
https://www.thinglink.com/scene/690865749073330178

A lot of great looking distressed painted furniture is done with chalk paint and this is what I was planning to use.  I would be painting a raw roasted Swamp-Ash body with 2-3 color layers & using sandpaper to distress. Think this would be ok?  Any advice? Never done this before so any advice is appreciated. :rock-on:

We re-did our bathroom with chalk paint on the cabinets. I wouldn't use it on a guitar because it's a waxed finish. Don't know how it would hold up. It's easy to remove with alcohol or another cleaner. It may rub off fairly easily. I'd probably use some more durable kind of paint that would take a clear coat afterwards, if I wanted.

They do recommend a clear lacquer if the paint is used for floors/stairs, so there's that option.  This will be fairly relic'd though, so unless it comes off easily, might not be necessary.  I did see one guy on youtube w/ a chalk-painted guitar.  Looked great.

I have finished furniture for my wife with chalk paint.
I do not recommend it unless you want a extremely dirty guitar. Chalk paint is very soft, and will collect oils and dirt rapidly.
In the end it will just wear off of a highly handled object like a guitar. It is really made as a easily sanded and distressed furniture paint.

Back