Anyone ever pull frets?

dmraco

Master Member
I need some tips on pulling frets.  I will be pulling frets and filling the gaps with epoxy for create a fretless bass. 

Any tips on tools or technique??

Thanks

Never done it myself, but there's lotsa video.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pulling+frets+guitar

I can usually tell the difference between a thoughtful craftsman and someone who's just pulling it out of his @ss; my guess is you are similarly blessed with a little common sense and good judgment.

Happy defretting!

This guy is the repair dude from Taylor, so I'm inclined to trust him more than John Q. "Luthier" from Acme Guitar Wreckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejcSU7Sn40

I can tell you pulling frets can be hit or miss depending on the fingerboard wood. Darker fretboards are easier to repair the inevitable chip out caused by pulling frets. Maple on the other hand is very unforgiving when pulling frets most maple will show obvious signs of refretting. My recommendation is to take your time and not rush pulling frets it's a slow somewhat tedious process. Best of luck

The video Bagman linked is good. But, you may want to consider what you're going to end up with. Pulling frets is sorta like pulling teeth - it's fraught with peril and doesn't leave an attractive vacancy. Even if you don't chip things up pulling the frets, the slots are still going to look a bit ragged. That gets more or less covered up when you put in new frets, but if you're looking at making a fretless 'board, it may be a lotta work that ends up aesthetically disappointing. Before you start down that road you may want to look into a new neck that either hasn't been slotted or at least not been fretted.

the owner is OK if the looks are not perfect.  I am refinishing an old ibanez bass and he wants to try fretless.  I told him I can fill with epoxy and sand smooth.  Worse case scenario I completely screw it up and he buys a fretless neck!!!

Thanks for the tips.  I did order a fret puller.  Lots of folks say to heat them to break and glue bond too.

I have... Squier Jazz Bass... tools I had laying around the house... it went like this....

trYEQ4E.jpg

brky93P.jpg

kOdJ4ft.jpg

1dF02YG.jpg

SeFhxvV.jpg

Rb9kY6d.jpg

fW3t9U0.jpg

JGvQrV2.jpg

breWyxa.jpg

unmj6gu.jpg

lyPa3ZA.jpg

geXNrI7.jpg

6kRNdrO.jpg

dFj9NV4.jpg

tGij1Eu.jpg

kyrrv7h.jpg

GSOcIhd.jpg

zmPw6Xe.jpg

kHnBSS5.jpg

aK9REZ9.jpg

3nBbPWO.jpg

ofxYiM0.jpg

3Vbw1bp.jpg

QHBsMZ4.jpg

gqnJCd4.jpg

hJRYiUM.jpg

FMdzM6Q.jpg

Nice job! That really came out well! Are you happy with the way it plays?

That looks quite exceptional!

Good thing you didn't have to pull frets from an older Fender.  Many of those went in from the side.  Many a Fender neck has been sacrificed for many a luthier to learn this lesson.

Even then, on just about any fingerboard that I've pulled frets from, I would chamfer the top of the groove a bit with a small 3 sided fret dressing file, just to clean up the tear-out.  Don't get too crazy with it, just a couple of strokes & that's it. 

Back