Any non-pedal steel players on here?

ChristopherG

I just traded a non-warmoth partscaster that I wasn't playing to a guy for an 8 string Morrell USA Custom that he wasn't playing. I play some slide and have always loved the bad ass overdriven tones that could be coxed out of a lap-steel. Looking for pointers/places to start. Names of blues/blues-rock players of steel, people I should be checking out.

Thanks.

David Lindley is crucial.  Ry Cooder likewise.  David Gilmour uses lap steel for a lot of atmospheric effects on Pink Floyd's records.  See, e.g., "Breathe" on DSOTM.

Greg Leisz is not strictly in the blues/rock world, but plays some amazing stuff that originates in the blues.

Check him out with Dave Alvin:
[youtube]H5mmpTzxCSI[/youtube]

AJ Ghent is a newer arrival on the scene.  Here he is singing and playing steel on Sam Cooke's classic, "A Change is Gonna Come":

[youtube]bsA24mofVLw[/youtube]

Steel solo starts at 2:38 or so.

Brendon McNichol of Queens of the STone Age does some heavy stuff with a steel guitar.

Consider also Derek Trucks, who plays conventional guitar, but in open E tuning, so you can start with working out what he does, playing overhand on the lap steel.

For more names you can research on your own, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lap_steel_guitar#Notable_players

Back