Any fellow watch-lovers here?

I lived out in California for about two years, Big Sur - on the Old Coast Road at Bixby Canyon... worked in Carmel. Got down to LA twice.... an entire different world!

Rent was way to high for what I was making... lost 30 lbs and went to bed hungry most nights - decided it wasn't for me and headed home...

I had a buddy who went through a similar thing. California is a lovely state, but the cost of living is tough to manage.

Cagey said:
I had a buddy who went through a similar thing. California is a lovely state, but the cost of living is tough to manage.

Tell me about it.  If I didn't need to remain close to my ex so I could participate meaningfully in the upbringing of my two older ones, I'd live in Oregon or Texas or Las Vegas to be close to MY family.

Well, at least there is the availability here of high paying work, although it can be quite competitive. I couldn't do what I do in too many places (New York, Chicago, etc.). I'm happy enough here, although it would be nice to live in a place with fewer people and cars!

On the plus side, if you happen to own at least a garden shed sized home, you can sell it for enough to buy a mansion just about anywhere else.

vic108 said:
Best thing about LA:

Leonor's Mexican Vegetarian Restaurant!

Aha! were you a Valley guy? I think Leonor's is in North Hollywood, at least it used to be. I live in Valley Village - which is one or two neighborhoodsl to the west of there.

As if it weren't enough being watch-crazy, I just spent a few days photographing some nice pieces for a client/friend's website (i.e. for sale). First was a box o' Rolexes

boxorolexes1.jpg

Here' are a few from the box:

bubbleback1.jpg

rolexpresident1.jpg

Rolexdriverswatch1.jpg

Rolexdriverswatchmvmt.jpg

tudorand5rolexes.jpg

and I've always wanted a Rolex... must. resist.

Wow. Haven't seen those in a lotta years. Used to work for a company that made a cycle counter that read out using nixies. Real pain in the ass to repair because part tolerances were critical, so digging around with your 'scope would tell you the thing was basically working, yet it didn't.

Yeah, I remember those, too. Had one on a reel-to-reel tape deck, but instead of a linear travel, it behaved more like an eye, where both sides converged on the middle.

My dad has a Rolex Sub Mariner, similar to the Tudor in this pic. He bought it back in the early 70's...
tudorand5rolexes.jpg

I'm late to the party, but I just picked up this Le Grand Sport for a song and thought I would share.  It's not nearly as sexy as some (most) of the other watches in this thread, but it's my first grown up watch, and I like it.  :toothy11:

Nice Seiko! I have a Seiko I bought new over thirty years ago, and I still wear it occasionally - keeps very accurate time.

I need to get the capacitor changed.  I bought it from a coworker who had kept it new-in-box in his closet for the past few years.  The energy storage capacitor *cough*cough*rechargeable battery*cough* loses it ability to hold a charge if left dead for long periods of time, and years in the closet definitely counts as long periods of time.  The caliber in this watch is supposed to hold a charge for 6 months, but I'll be damned if I've been able to keep it going for longer than a couple days.  Every morning since I've gotten it, it has indicated that it has less than a full day's charge remaining.  So far I've just shaken it for a couple of minutes and put it on, and it has been perfectly fine except on my day off when I stayed at home and didn't wear it.  Then it ran completely dead.  Once finals are over (tomorrow, hopefully) I'll take it to a jeweler and get it replaced.  I'm too busy studying right now (except for this short break to give my brain a break).

Jumble Jumble said:
That last one is lovely.

I'd have some nice watches if I was a millionaire; as it is, they're very far down the spending priority I'm afraid. I'm currently wearing one of these:

img3780kb3.jpg

My original rubber strap broke but they make a metal replacement and it looks nicer and it won't break.

It's a thing of almost breathtaking ugliness, but it is hands down the best watch I've ever had in terms of practicality.

1. It sets itself by radio control every night while I'm asleep. I never need to worry about setting it - it's always exactly right.
2. It recharges its own battery by solar panel whenever light falls on it. I never need to worry about the battery.
3. It's a G-Shock - I never need to worry about bashing it.
4. It's pressure-tested to 20 Bar - I can wear it to jump off cliffs into the sea, snorkel, or... have a shower.

I never take it off - there's never a reason to.

However, I think my millionaire watches would be these two:

rolex-yacht-master-02.jpg
omega-seamaster-pattern-dial300.jpg
Just awesome watch collection..Bit expensive but I would love to have one of them in near future.

Back