Any experiences of Rio Grande PUs?

Soloshchenko

I've had a big change of ideas for my thinline telecaster build, I've decided to go single coil. Its mahoganny bodied so I think I'll go high output: probably a Rio Grande Muy Grande in the bridge position and a strat half breed in the neck.

Anyone had experiences with these or any other Rio Grande PUs in a tele or anything else? Cheers. 

Only that their customer service is top notch.

I called about my rather weak Fat Bastard, and they said - send it in, could be its magnets were not charged correctly, and they want to replace it.

Having tried/played everything, I don't know if I'll ever find anything I'd use for Humbuckers other than TX/BBQ sets or JazzBar/BluesBar/Bastards for P90s. Haven't gotten around to their other bucker's or single coils yet, but as a brand they seem to make most everything else out there comparable pale.....

jackthehack said:
Having tried/played everything, I don't know if I'll ever find anything I'd use for Humbuckers other than TX/BBQ sets or JazzBar/BluesBar/Bastards for P90s. Haven't gotten around to their other bucker's or single coils yet, but as a brand they seem to make most everything else out there comparable pale.....

Reading reviews all over the place I'm starting to get that impression. I'll give them a go. I have a seymour duncan loaded strat so whats the point in more of the same? Plus I don't know what its like on your side of the pond but here in the UK some dealers sell them for only a bit more than SDs.

The weird thing about Rio Grande is that they're kind of setup to service a dealer network. I wound up buying a TX/BBQ set directly from them (Warmoth didn't have a gold 4-conductor set in stock), but if you buy direct they will only sell at retail pricing. I have a local music store that doesn't stock much of their product, but can in the future order Rio Grandes for me if it's an item Warmoth doesn't have in stock.

If odered through dealer or from Warmoth you're not really paying much more if anything over an equivalent SD set, that's what I USED to use....

I've dealt with Guitar Heaven in Tennessee numerous times, top-notch service every time.

http://www.gtrheaven.com/

While they only stock the "basics" of the Rio Grande product line on their website, they're more than happy to order anything RG makes if you call or email them.

I have a trio of Rio Babybuckers in a custom guitar I had built in 2004. They're medium-hot, and have a rather pronounced midrange response. They split amazingly well. In fact, I think they may be better single-coils than humbuckers.

I have only used the TX/BBQ set and these have become my favorite humbucker, split coils work great with these also.

I've used a "dual calibrated set" in a korina strat......tallboy/halfbreed/muy grande......they're all different and all very impressive. :icon_thumright:

Back