another reason to like Stewart Macdonald

mayfly

Epic Member
Hi folks,

I ordered a clear tele pickguard for the paisley tele project from Stew Mac.  As usual, it was promptly delivered and was high quality.  No issues.

Then today I recieved this email from Stew Mac customer support:

Dear Trevor,

Hello, and thank you for your recent order from Stewart-MacDonald.

In a continued effort to improve service to our Canadian customers, we are hoping you can give us some feedback about the shipment of your most recent order.

1.)    Was the package delivered in a timely and convenient manner? 
2.)    Were customs duties and taxes collected on the package?  If so, how much were they?

Please reply to this message with your feedback and any other comments regarding the delivery of your package. 

Your time and input is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Heather Aubke
Customer Service Representative
Stewart-MacDonald

Er - wow!  I've never gotten a comments solicitation email from any parts vendor before!  Of course I'm going to give them top marks on the shipping of the package, but I'm also going to commend them on their customer service in general.

I like Stewart MacDonald!

Nice! 

I never had any issues with StewMac.  I did notice their shipping was faster than usual lately, at least inside the US.

Stew Mac gets a A+ from me too.  There is just some things that Warmoth dosen't stock (like finishing supplies or a 5 way Super/Mega Switch) and they don't have a minimum order amount.  My Mahogany Tobacco Sunburst strat that I'll have done by the end of the weekend (pic's "so you know it exists" coming soon) has a cool Gotoh Strat Hard Tail bridge that came from there. 

Torres Engineering carries some cool stuff too. 

I have nothing but good things to say about Stew Mac.  They have never sent me the wrong thing, and the shipping is always really fast.  They are good people. 

I've used Stew Mac for a lot of little parts and stuff that I simply cannot find of similar quality in Australia, for a better price.

The parts have always come to me in a timely manner, and well packaged.  :icon_thumright:

I see a lot of their tools, gauges and guides etc. in their catalogue are quite over-the-top for someone like me, and those who do very serious work on guitars, have made comments on forums that the tools are a long winded way of getting things done, but precise nonetheless. :dontknow:

I love getting their latest catalogues, as it is plenty of eye candy for me, and good for reading when layed up in a bus between routes!

OzziePete said:
I see a lot of their tools, gauges and guides etc. in their catalogue are quite over-the-top for someone like me, and those who do very serious work on guitars, have made comments on forums that the tools are a long winded way of getting things done, but precise nonetheless. :dontknow:

That's what my tech guy always tells me.  Any time I've ever brought up a tool I saw on Stew Mac he says "Oh no, you don't need that.  Here's what you do: go to the hardware store..."

Some of their finicky little tools would be useful if you were banging out a lot of fretwork in some kind of production shop, but a lot of it is most useful if you don't already have a hardware store habit; Here is a 6" steel ruler:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Measuring_tools/6_Steel_Rule.html
Here is another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Steel-Ruler-6-Inch-Jewelers-Tools-Jewelry_W0QQitemZ200314410900QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200314410900&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

$11.33 vs. $3.75. Here is a fully finished, flame-"top" Guitar body for only $197!
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Bodies/Flametop-S_Front-routed_Guitar_Bodies.html

Gee, why even shop Warmoth... maybe cause the "top" is a 1/16" veneer, and the poly finish is even thicker than that? (Mighty Mite, BTW)

I like Stew -Mac's little weird tools like the string lifter and the fretboard guards, but except for the specifically-guitar stuff, the exact same tools are a half to a third the price from a hardware store, jeweler's supply or gunsmithing seller. Hey, they deserve to make a living, but I'm allowed to spend my money carefully, too. They do design a lot of special tools that would be neat to speed up a production shop, but they also sold the counterfeit Lawrence pickups for years, ALL of their tuners take a 10mm hole (somehow?) etc. etc. If you don't have time to shop for price and you don't know about LMII, you can get everything you need there, for sure.

Back