ANNOUNCEMENT: Gibson styled products

Coming up on 5 months since this announcement and we still haven't seen any new designs. I don't get why it all has to be secret. If you're prototyping, why not let us see some pics? We'll understand if they're different from what makes it into production. Some of our feedback might even be useful.

:sign13:  Have a contest ....
For forum members to put forward body designs.  :guitarplayer2:

And ...
The winner gets a cut $$$$$$  ....................................................................... forever.  :icon_biggrin:

IT is hard to just with out seeing the lawsuit from Gibson.  You think a bolt on neck would be different enough.  Maybe add some tummy cuts, contours, etc.  change the lower horn a tad.... :dontknow:

I do agree it has been a while.

If the VIP is different enough from a PRS, then I'd like to see something just different enough from PRS's single cut model. I'd build one. At least one.

Jumble Jumble said:
Tell me the Dean ML wouldn't be around without a V and Exploder.
That's not actionable though, a model being influenced by two others. What if they made one that was a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele? Who would sue them then, Fender or Gibson?

Interestingly, I just returned home from Daytona, catching the last weekend of BikeWeek.

One of the bands I saw at Main Street Station had a guitarist that played... a guitar that was 3/4 LP, and 1/4 Telecaster.    That is, it had the black widow shape of the lower LP body, something similar to an LP cutaway - similar, but not quite the same.  And, it had the upper bout with a little recurve, that was very much beholding to a Telecaster.  Was a set neck.  Twin HB's, had a bridge like an old Guild (sort of a Harmonica bridge, but not like the one Gibby used), and had a string thru, behind the bridge.  The headstock looked like a Guild headstock... sort of.

Oh, I probably ought to add too....

That I have a Guild S-100 from 1974ish.  It is NOT SG shaped, except casually so, in that it has sharp double cutaways.  The SG is not quite symmetrical, but the S-100 is markedly asymmetrical.  The SG has relief cuts on the front and back of the cutaways and front and back of the upper edge.  The S-100 does not.  I will say, its been called "a Guild SG" but thats like calling the L6s a Les Paul.  Similar, yes, but not a match.

=CB= said:
Jumble Jumble said:
That's not actionable though, a model being influenced by two others. What if they made one that was a cross between a Les Paul and a Tele? Who would sue them then, Fender or Gibson?

Interestingly, I just returned home from Daytona, catching the last weekend of BikeWeek.

One of the bands I saw at Main Street Station had a guitarist that played... a guitar that was 3/4 LP, and 1/4 Telecaster.    That is, it had the black widow shape of the lower LP body, something similar to an LP cutaway - similar, but not quite the same.  And, it had the upper bout with a little recurve, that was very much beholding to a Telecaster.  Was a set neck.  Twin HB's, had a bridge like an old Guild (sort of a Harmonica bridge, but not like the one Gibby used), and had a string thru, behind the bridge.  The headstock looked like a Guild headstock... sort of.

Sounds like a Washburn Idol or Schecter Solo.

Or maybe a Dean EVO
images

thearmofbarlow said:
=CB= said:
Jumble Jumble said:

Sounds like a Washburn Idol or Schecter Solo.

Sounds more like a Godin to me.

Well, I just bought an LP.  I know, I shouldn't support Gibson after doing this to Warmoth, but I couldn't help myself.  It was used though, so at least I did put any extra money in their pockets.

Anyway, what was interesting is that the guy I bought it from had one of these...

http://www.prestigeguitars.com/heritage-elite-fm.php

I didn't play it but he seemed to like it.  In fact, I think that's why he was selling the LP.  Oh, they have a less flashy model, as well.

Attachments

• LP.jpg
    LP.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 372
I think you can be forgiven for picking up a Lester as pretty as that one, and if you didn't enrich the fools at Gibson or Musician's Friend, more power to ya, buddy.

Rock on, etc., etc.

Bagman

I hate when someone posts in this thread. Every time I see a new post I think its gonna be Wylee with the new LP. Damn you guys.

I know, I know; me too!
It's been 5 months now. 
How long can they possibly expect a man to maintain sanity :dontknow:

So now that the G shaped products have been canned for Warmoth, is there truly no chance of them being able to reproduce them in the future? Kinda had my heart set on a SG at the end of the year.

Shiny poly covered Wenge and gold hardware....but maybe not.  :sad: Thanks Gibson, you ***K***S****U****TH***U***R**G**W***ER. .....bad people.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
It's a hard pill to swallow, but I wish they'd go after everyone equally.

Maybe they are, but we're just not hearing about it. It's entirely possible Warmoth was one of those companies that simply rolls over rather than fight, because fighting would only result in a pyrrhic victory. It happens all the time these days with all the emphasis on intellectual property valuation and the torts involved. Patent and copyright trolls sue over a wide swath of potential infringers, hoping for a certain percentage of victims to pay up or knuckle under without fighting. It's basically free money and/or control of a market for the troll.

Warmoth probably looked at it and said "It'll cost us $7.9M to fight this suit, or we can just walk away from building this product." If they can't win the fight AND make substantially more than $7.9M over X period of time to recoup that loss, then it doesn't make any sense to fight.

Another (even smaller) company might say "we got nothing to lose" and just ignore the threats. Worst thing that can happen is they get sued into insolvency and start over again under a new name. It's not like anybody's going to jail over it.

Tell that to the approximately 700 people who went to jail following IP infringement in 2012 in the US and EU.

I don't know why you lot are still stuck on this notion that these cases are Mr. Big Evil Suit trying to make a quick buck off of some poor downtrodden little mom-n-pop company. It's not even remotely like that; things you lot downplay are actually very serious and things you guys talk up are not even remotely relevant (and in same cases simply have no basis in reality at all).

Yes, it's nice to feel like the morally just underdog taking a stand against the big corrupt corporations. What's nice and what's reality are two different things.

Back